Thank goodness for helmets- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Thank goodness for helmets

Here's a picture of my helmet after I fell off while doing stupid things on Saturday.

I can't imagine what I'd be feeling like now if I wasn't wearing it, and if hadn't been properly adjusted. It was certainly scary as I saw the ground approaching and knew that my arms and hands weren't going to get any where useful to protect my head. And it made a great noise on impact as the styrene fractured, which at the time I though "that's going to hurt". Surprisingly my head/neck didn't fare too badly.

It was a "Bell Solair Pro".

Wombat
    Attached Images Attached Images

XCdude

Godd for you, I have one like that from last year. Funny

Quote Originally Posted by Wombat
    Here's a picture of my helmet after I fell off while doing stupid things on Saturday.

I can't imagine what I'd be feeling like now if I wasn't wearing it, and if hadn't been properly adjusted. It was certainly scary as I saw the ground approaching and knew that my arms and hands weren't going to get any where useful to protect my head. And it made a great noise on impact as the styrene fractured, which at the time I though "that's going to hurt". Surprisingly my head/neck didn't fare too badly.

Wombat
    because you will have people here tell you that, they dont save lifes.
    Short bucket list.
    Cape Epic
    Pioneer Epic
    Swiss Epic
    La leyenda del Dorado

I'm feeling dirty, you?
    You lucky bastard! I've crashed on my helmet at 40km/h+. I'll try to get some pics.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

How old is the helmet?

You might beable to get a free replacement from the manufacturer- most have a one year crash replacement policy. I know- 20 mph onto pavement and the helmet crack much as yours did and the manufacturer sent a replacement helmet :-)

born to chill
    I posted this in the dh member thread too, but here's what happened to this dumba$$ when he wasn't wearing a helmet.

(it's me)
    FATRAC - Folsom-Auburn Trail Riders Coalition - Member
    My personal site - Living single, seeing double, jumping triples

RVM
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Good job! A Bell helmet saved my head too

It was an old "Image Pro" model...

I'm feeling dirty, you?
    Here's a pic of my cracked helmet.
    Yes it's a cheapo helmet, but it was my first helmet, I now have a MET Crackerjack.
    40km/h+, downhill, pavement, kerb, endo, realistic 2-4 second slide on the pavement (felt like half a minute), scratched shoulders, hands( wasn't wearing gloves), forearm and Crumpler. And a dead helmet.
    Last edited by jonowee; 06-10-2004 at 01:33 AM. Reason: pics screwed up

They say I have a problem
    Quote Originally Posted by Wombat

Wombat
    My fiance had one of those falls a few years ago...Cracked her helmet in 3 places, right around the temple....She had a nice concussion and to this day can't remember the crash or 2 hours each way....She remembers the start of the ride and being in the hospital...It was not a fun night, but would have been much worse without a helmet...

Her crash really shows how you should wear helmets all the time...It occurred on a social ride with people from her office...It was by no means a technical or difficult ride...It actually happened at the end when we were headed back to the office and just riding along...We decided to take a little side trail off of the main paved path...There was a jump she wasn't ready for and bam she crashed...

That's why I shake my head when I see anyone without a helmet...You can never know when an accident will happen...

Rich
    "The meek shall inherit the earth"