• 06-09-2004
    Wombat
    1 Attachment(s)
    Thank goodness for helmets
    Here's a picture of my helmet after I fell off while doing stupid things on Saturday.

I can't imagine what I'd be feeling like now if I wasn't wearing it, and if hadn't been properly adjusted. It was certainly scary as I saw the ground approaching and knew that my arms and hands weren't going to get any where useful to protect my head. And it made a great noise on impact as the styrene fractured, which at the time I though "that's going to hurt". Surprisingly my head/neck didn't fare too badly.

It was a "Bell Solair Pro".

Wombat
  • 06-09-2004
    moab63
    Godd for you, I have one like that from last year. Funny
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Wombat
    Here's a picture of my helmet after I fell off while doing stupid things on Saturday.

I can't imagine what I'd be feeling like now if I wasn't wearing it, and if hadn't been properly adjusted. It was certainly scary as I saw the ground approaching and knew that my arms and hands weren't going to get any where useful to protect my head. And it made a great noise on impact as the styrene fractured, which at the time I though "that's going to hurt". Surprisingly my head/neck didn't fare too badly.

Wombat

because you will have people here tell you that, they dont save lifes.
  • 06-09-2004
    jonowee
    You lucky bastard! I've crashed on my helmet at 40km/h+. I'll try to get some pics.
  • 06-09-2004
    VT no 1 2 or 3
    How old is the helmet?
    You might beable to get a free replacement from the manufacturer- most have a one year crash replacement policy. I know- 20 mph onto pavement and the helmet crack much as yours did and the manufacturer sent a replacement helmet :-)
  • 06-09-2004
    flowmaster
    1 Attachment(s)
    I posted this in the dh member thread too, but here's what happened to this dumba$$ when he wasn't wearing a helmet.

(it's me)
  • 06-09-2004
    RVM
    A Bell helmet saved my head too
    It was an old "Image Pro" model...
  • 06-10-2004
    jonowee
    2 Attachment(s)
    Here's a pic of my cracked helmet.
    Yes it's a cheapo helmet, but it was my first helmet, I now have a MET Crackerjack.
    40km/h+, downhill, pavement, kerb, endo, realistic 2-4 second slide on the pavement (felt like half a minute), scratched shoulders, hands( wasn't wearing gloves), forearm and Crumpler. And a dead helmet.
  • 06-10-2004
    rbart4506
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Wombat

Wombat

My fiance had one of those falls a few years ago...Cracked her helmet in 3 places, right around the temple....She had a nice concussion and to this day can't remember the crash or 2 hours each way....She remembers the start of the ride and being in the hospital...It was not a fun night, but would have been much worse without a helmet...

Her crash really shows how you should wear helmets all the time...It occurred on a social ride with people from her office...It was by no means a technical or difficult ride...It actually happened at the end when we were headed back to the office and just riding along...We decided to take a little side trail off of the main paved path...There was a jump she wasn't ready for and bam she crashed...

That's why I shake my head when I see anyone without a helmet...You can never know when an accident will happen...

Rich