Thank god for pads, gloves and Im already due for a SS.- Mtbr.com

Dec 2006

Thank god for pads, gloves and Im already due for a SS.

Well, as many of you know, Im new to the DJ bike scene. I just got my STP. I have already done a few things to it to fit me better, dialed in the fork, etc.

Today was literally my 2nd day on it. I was trying to manual down a pretty steep street near my house. I came off the back of the bike at about 20 mph and ate crap right on to my hands, knees and chest. Thank God for safety equipment. I would have been pretty messed up if it wasnt for shin guards and gloves.

I tore up my brand new 661 Nasty gloves (better to tear up the gloves than my hands)
    , scratched and bent my derailleur and pedals. At least it looks broken in now..LOL.

Well after only two days on this thing, Im sick of the damn derailleur. I can see why most of you run a SS.

What is my best bet for going SS? Should I purchase a new set of wheels with an SS Cassette? I was looking at a couple of those cheap SS kits. I may try that first to see how I like it.

Im a little discouraged. I was thinking I was going to go out there and be doing no handed backflips my first day...LOL. You guys make all that crap look much easier than it really is. I can do a pretty high bunny hop (about a foot and a half), just not much else.
    Last edited by spinwax; 12-31-2006 at 04:46 PM.

Dec 2006
    sounds like a pretty nasty spill ... but ur bunny hop sounds pretty good for a new urban/dj rider, same with ur manual! Is ur stp the highest end one or the lower end one?

Jun 2005
    your best bet is pick up one of the $20-30 single speed conversion kits. your bike has vertical dropouts correct? youll need to get a chain tensioner also.

this ones nice and cheap..

http://www.nashbar.com/profile_morei...u=14063&brand=

there are a few higher end ones also like rennen

http://www.rennendesigngroup.com/products.html

Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ontario_bike
    sounds like a pretty nasty spill ... but ur bunny hop sounds pretty good for a new urban/dj rider, same with ur manual! Is ur stp the highest end one or the lower end one?

Nah, manual bad, bunny hop good. I have always been able to bunny hop really high. I guess its a good start.

I have been on bikes my whole life up till about 8 yrs ago. I stopped riding and it takes some time to get back in to the groove.

I can ride a wheelie, but have trouble with the manual. Not quite sure how to get it to that nice median of not to high or too low. I always seem to go to high and end up coming off the back and running down the street with my bars in my hand. I dont get it.

Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by fiddy_ryder
    your best bet is pick up one of the $20-30 single speed conversion kits. your bike has vertical dropouts correct? youll need to get a chain tensioner also.

this ones nice and cheap..

http://www.nashbar.com/profile_morei...u=14063&brand=

there are a few higher end ones also like rennen

http://www.rennendesigngroup.com/products.html
    Is there any way to avoid running the tensioner. Like possibly going with the half link chain? I hate the way the tensioners look.

Dec 2006
    NO CLUE! I have no idea about the conversion to single speed. Sorry

Ya, I also have trouble with manuals! Can someon give us some pointers? I also find it hard just to pull up enough and throw my weight back to get in the angle for even an over done manual.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Hey Spinwax, do you own a boat? Same name just showed up on LVBH and it caught my eye! That would be a wierd coincidence wouldn't it.

Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ddujnitsud
    Hey Spinwax, do you own a boat? Same name just showed up on LVBH and it caught my eye! That would be a wierd coincidence wouldn't it.
    LOL, that is me.. Im assuming you meant Las Vegas Hot Boats...

Yep, small world. I was just telling someone the other day how the internet makes this big place, a small community.

Do you live in the Valley? What is your screen name over there?

Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by spinwax
    Is there any way to avoid running the tensioner. Like possibly going with the half link chain? I hate the way the tensioners look.
    yeah the half link may just enough. you could also get a full half link chain(looks pimp) theres a chart somewhere on teh net about gear ratios and chainstay length. if shows what ratios work without needing a tensioner or just a half link.

found it..

http://www.peak.org/~fixin/personal/fmu/php/formfmu.php

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Yeah, Hot Boat not bot hoat it's the whiskey talking. I'm up in St.George and it's Dman on the lvhb group, floatin a nordic rage and ridin a Cdale prophet for the trails and DB asault for the urban/park stuff. If you get up this way pm me and we could ride just about anything you wanted if you give me enough notice.

i like dirt.
    My bike came with a 1x8 set-up. Was your derailluer that your STP came with long-cage? I have a frikkin annoying as hell long-cage Deore and wanna switch to short-cage cause i don't wanna lose my gears yet and go SS. A short-cage rd should be alot less obstructive and more compact too. So if you don't wanna go SS yet a small short-cage rd is always an option.

Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ddujnitsud
    Yeah, Hot Boat not bot hoat it's the whiskey talking. I'm up in St.George and it's Dman on the lvhb group, floatin a nordic rage and ridin a Cdale prophet for the trails and DB asault for the urban/park stuff. If you get up this way pm me and we could ride just about anything you wanted if you give me enough notice.

Funny you mention St George. My wife and I were going to go to Cedar City to stay at a friends house, ride some quads, snowmobiles and do some drinking. We ended up having too much stuff to do.

Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by fiddy_ryder
    yeah the half link may just enough. you could also get a full half link chain(looks pimp) theres a chart somewhere on teh net about gear ratios and chainstay length. if shows what ratios work without needing a tensioner or just a half link.

found it..

http://www.peak.org/~fixin/personal/fmu/php/formfmu.php
    Thanks for the link.

InnovateorDie, I have a Sram mid cage der on my bike. It seems pretty good. Not sure what Im going to do yet.

I post too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by spinwax
    I can ride a wheelie, but have trouble with the manual. Not quite sure how to get it to that nice median of not to high or too low. I always seem to go to high and end up coming off the back and running down the street with my bars in my hand. I dont get it.
    A finger on the rear brake at all times should prevent another occurance of that type of crash. Don't use the brake as a crutch though, try and only use it when you feel you're going to far back to correct it by body position alone.

I barely use my brake anymore while riding a manual.

I post too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by ontario_bike
    NO CLUE! I have no idea about the conversion to single speed. Sorry

Ya, I also have trouble with manuals! Can someon give us some pointers? I also find it hard just to pull up enough and throw my weight back to get in the angle for even an over done manual.
    Drop your weight back and low, the further back and low you are, the less effort it takes to get the front wheel to come off the ground.

I barely pull with my arms(if at all) to begin a manual, I just drop my weight low over the rear tire and push on my pedals, arm straight, in one smooth motion. The front end comes up naturally and stays there as long as I want it to.

You might want to check out a thread I posted over the summer, it's a crappy-quality series of pics where I bunny hop onto something 2 feet high, nothing special. But a manual starts the same way, just check the first 5 pics or so.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...=bunny+hopping...

Members who have read this thread: 0