• 04-10-2004
    wayneosdias
    Thank God I had my helmet on today!
    Not that I never ride w/o it, but today was the 1st time in 12 years its done anthing but make me look like a dork. I recently went clipless and thought I was doing really good, getting in/out thru techincal stuff no problem. Today on a very narrow stretch on the side of a 40ft drop I dropped into my granny gear to scale a larrge boulder. As I rolled up to the foot of the boulder got out of the saddle and started spining like I always do, only this time I wasnt squirting up the rock, just sitting there looking like Fred Flinstone spinning his wheels trying to get away from his mother and law. I look down to find my chain had come off and Im going down over the edge. I manage to unclip and start doing the splits sliding down the side of the cliff grabbing at anything I can. I finally stop on the side of the hill and before I can look up my 30lb bikes downtube pinballs off my helmet. Im convinced had I not had my helmet on I would hve seriously fractured my skull, one to grow on I guess.

wayne
  • 04-10-2004
    moab63
    Glad to hear you are ok, you never know when you will go down
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wayneosdias
    Not that I never ride w/o it, but today was the 1st time in 12 years its done anthing but make me look like a dork. I recently went clipless and thought I was doing really good, getting in/out thru techincal stuff no problem. Today on a very narrow stretch on the side of a 40ft drop I dropped into my granny gear to scale a larrge boulder. As I rolled up to the foot of the boulder got out of the saddle and started spining like I always do, only this time I wasnt squirting up the rock, just sitting there looking like Fred Flinstone spinning his wheels trying to get away from his mother and law. I look down to find my chain had come off and Im going down over the edge. I manage to unclip and start doing the splits sliding down the side of the cliff grabbing at anything I can. I finally stop on the side of the hill and before I can look up my 30lb bikes downtube pinballs off my helmet. Im convinced had I not had my helmet on I would hve seriously fractured my skull, one to grow on I guess.

wayne

hard. Last year I went down very hard in a spot that I been thru 50 times, I cracked the helmet. Two weeks ago a friend of mine went down in a almost totally flat road(access), he hit with his head so hard that I heard the thump, and I was at least 10 feet back, and all he did was touch a little water(mud).

So every time I see people not wearing a helmet I just think they are stupid.
  • 04-10-2004
    Moo Shoo Pork
    Right On! Now, get a new helmet!
    I have been seriously riding for about 3 years now, and never without a helmet. I have never had a wreck on my bikes until 2 weeks ago. And, it was on singletrack that I usually just fly through. This time my front wheel completely torqued to the left going about 12 to 15 mile/hr. and I just completely endoed with the bike falling on me. I layed there with a bruised shoulder, scratched up knees and elbows, and my head on the ground.. I was so freakin glad I had my helmet on because I knew it would have been alot worse if I didn't. I too now look at guys who ride without helmets and just think that is just plain dumb.

One more thing, it is recommended if you have had a serious fall and your helmet is impacted that you get a new helmet. Alot of times you can't see the structural damage. Definitely worth the ca$h.
  • 04-10-2004
    Jwiffle
    yep, helmets are lifesavers
    I never wore a helmet growing up, but started to a couple years ago when I got into mountain biking, and glad I did. Had a pretty good fall last year, head first into a sharp rock--thankfully, the helmet took all the force, and I didn't even have a headache though my helmet was dented.

Stupid enough not to wear a helmet bicycling, but I just stare in disbelief when I see a motorcyclist without one on!
  • 04-10-2004
    bikerboy
    Glad to hear you are ok. I havent had any such stories where a helmet would have saved me on a bicycle, but a couple times on a dirt bike. I always wear my helmet even when I am riding on campus because I know better than to go without it. I honestly have seen only a handful of other students who wear helmets and I would say the ones I see are the same ones I see all the time. I know I am probably preaching to the choir here because I would assume most of yall already know to always wear a helmet.
  • 04-10-2004
    BFinlay
    wearing a helmet saved my life. it was over 4 years ago now. i was riding behind my highschool and went to bunny hop over a sewer. werer the sewer me the sidewalk behind it had a gap that was about 5 in deep. well my front tire found this gap. and i got launched. landed head first on concrete.

doc told me, well i think he told me, i know he told my parents, that if i hadnt been wearing a helmet i would be dead. ended up with a severe concussion.
  • 04-10-2004
    jtlmd
    I'm glad you were wearing a helmet
    I work in an emergency room. I rarely see anybody seriously injured while wearing their helmet. In general it's safe to assume the patients with head injuries from cycling weren't wearing helmets.

I've cracked 2 helmets riding my mountain bike in the past 10 years. Wonder what my head would have looked like without the helmet.

I am still amazed that many states don't require helmets for motorcyclists. Last night I saw a 13 year-old boy who flipped his ATV and suffered a severe concussion and had scrapes and bumps all over his head. He's lucky to be alive and not permanently disabled. Our state, Ohio, does require helmets for kid under 18 on motorcycles and all his mom could do was roll her eyes at him when I asked if he was wearing a helmet. I'm not sure if he'll wear a helmet next time, because he doesn't remember any of the accident.
  • 04-10-2004
    mudpuppy
    I too would be dead if I was not wearing a helmet. It was a few years ago now, I was following someone a bit better than myself and I was on an old bike...bad brakes. So I am going down this steep and roll over some roots with about a foot drop after....it was pretty steep and my back end started comming up...really not a problem...so I just released the front brake a little and I was back to normal. But the thing was I was going at a bit faster speed when I came to the bottom of the trail.....it came out on an OLD skinny gravel road and I could not stop fast enough..so I go off the other side and my front wheel catches a log and I superman into a rock with the right side of my head. Well....when all was said and done I am laying on the embankment and I can't move.....anything. The wind was nocked out of me and I could not move my legs.....I was really scared. One of my worst fears is to be paralized and I thought that was it. Anyway back to the story, I stayed there while some fellow riders went to the road for some help. The ambulance came and it felt like forever to get to the hospital. I had X rays and and sorts of **** done to me.....it turns all my back muscles spasmed, It was the worst few weeks of my life.....anyway I broke my helmet....put a HUGE divot into it and really w/out it I would be dead.
  • 04-12-2004
    linerider
    I'm living proof that you don't even...
    ...have to fall to take advantage of your helmet. This is for all those out there that believe they don't need helmets because they are so good (or they think they are...now how good can you really be if you don't think you need a helmet?) they won't fall.
    I was 2 minutes into my local trail which I can almost ride blind folded by now. Got into an open fast section with a slight turn ahead and heard some noise in the drive train. Looked down for 2 seconds and WHAM! A tree had fallen earlier and landed just at helmet height or at least helmet height for someone looking down, ha!
    Anyway, knocked me back and almost off the bike but managed to stay on long enough to stop myself. As I said, this was a fast smooth area so I was going fast. Stood there for a few minutes "regaining consciousness" (sp) and then went on.
    I always think about how much scalp would have been peeled back if I was not wearing the brain keeper.

Don't ride without it!