talkin helmets....- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005

talkin helmets....

IM looking for a good all around helmet. I ride street and also alot of local trails.

Right now i have looked at quite a few helmets. Giro's dont fit me from what ive tried...i must have a weird head shape.

I dont like the standard bike hemet appearence but the skater helmets with visors i have read....can become reall hot and they dont really fit me anyway.

I was at a local department style sports store this weekend and tried on a 2007 Bell Slant and it was a universal fit style helmet. It fit great. IT was matte black so it didnt stand out much.....

There wasnt a mirror near by so i couldnt check out how it looked but it felt good. It had a visor on it that made it look a bit more normal...

Im not sure but so far so good on that one. It retails for 60 somthing but i noticed that price point has it this week for like 35 bucks....

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    well it looks as if you've found the helmet for you!

Jan 2007
    Check around at your lbs, now is the time they are closing out the '06 models. I picked up a Bell Ukon today for $30. It fits good and looks ok (for a bike helmet).

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    That new FOX Flux helmet looks awsome. I wonder when those will come out or how much $$ they will be???

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    i saw some where where the MSRP is 100$. Not listed yet on the fox racing website.

Quote Originally Posted by scale
    That new FOX Flux helmet looks awsome. I wonder when those will come out or how much $$ they will be???

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    ya it must be so new they dont have it up. I saw it on the virtual trade show here on mtbr.com.

The helmet at least looks mean....unlike most helmets. its about time they changed the style. I like the visor. I wish more companies did a visor so the helmet looked more like a ball cap than a helmet. The visors are designed to break away in the invent of a crash so it would be just for looks of course but it looks prett good. Even the skate style helmets that have visors look better.

I wonder how the fit is on this fox helmet? Ill have to keep any eye out. I dont really have any lbs around here that carries anything fox. Most shops around here only carry Bell and Giro....

IM too chicken to blow 100 dollars online with out getting to try it on first to make sure it fits.

Very very nice looking helmet though...

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I have the Giro Xen. I bought it new last year online. Caught a price match off Beyond Bikes. Excellent helmet, great looking.

TIP - Don't go cheap on a helmet. Odds are it will save your life. Plus you have to wear the damn thing for hours at a time.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    ya i have looked at a few giro helmets and the fit doesnt work for my head. The sides dig in and i instantly get a massive head ache around my temples.

Maybe i need to try somthing more hi end line the xen. I didnt try that one. Ill have to swing by my lbs and see if they have any.

Heck....they dont look bad at all....and i like that the come in generic matte black.

I like that fox helmet but like i said.....no shops around here carry anything that high end and with my weird head im not willing to chance it.

I have noticed that even the large helmets dont fit.....i need an xl

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Yea, helmets and saddles are the toughest things to nail down. But once you find one you like, it sticks with you for a long time. On bikes, those are the things that I usually don't mind spending some coin on. If the helmet doesn't fit right, it's a bother and prob a safety issue. If the saddle isn't good, hell, you won't want to ride and your butt goes numb!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    ya i have looked at a few giro helmets and the fit doesnt work for my head. The sides dig in and i instantly get a massive head ache around my temples.

Maybe i need to try somthing more hi end line the xen. I didnt try that one. Ill have to swing by my lbs and see if they have any.

Heck....they dont look bad at all....and i like that the come in generic matte black.

I like that fox helmet but like i said.....no shops around here carry anything that high end and with my weird head im not willing to chance it.

I have noticed that even the large helmets dont fit.....i need an xl
    The SIDES dig in?!? Giro helmets tend to fit "round" heads. Bell and Specialized tend to fit "oval" (longer f-to-b) heads better. I have the latter and most Giros are too wide for me--pinch front and back.

Fit is all important and this means the shell fits your head with little or no help from the "head clamps" that most helmets now use.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

President Skroob
    Jan 2006
    I second what shiggy says. I have that oval shaped head and own a Bell, I spent the extra cash for the really nice one.

One other thing I think I remember reading here, I think mountain specific helmets are a bit more reinforced on the sides and road ones are reinforced on the front due to frequency of where heads hit the pavement vs. trail.

That said, my last Bell Sweep saved my life when I crashed on the road when a rookie swept across my front wheel in a group. Bell got cracked, I got a concussion and some nice road rash on my face that healed in about 6 weeks. I am able to type this because of that helmet. It ran for $120 I think. My new Bell Sweep was on sale for $90 and an 06.

The sweep looks good both on and off my head, but I found what fits good and went with it regardless of price. My dome seems to like the fit system to even with a light on it.

_
    Mar 2004
    Giro HEX for me, matte black, fits great, is lightweight and has lots of vents. JensonUSA has them for $52.00 right now. It kinda sorta looks like the XEN.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    ill have to make another run around town here in minneapolis and see that the lbs have in stock.

I must have a oval head since the pro-tec and giros tend to kill my temples etc....on the sides.....

THe Bell slant was a universal fit helmet and seemed to fit well. Im going to take another cruise around town and see what there is to offer. I dont mind spending big $$$ on a brain saver...i just have to know that it is the best fit money can buy me You only get one head.....

Oct 2006
    Bell Sweep get my vote also, looks good, damn comfy, but expensive

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    ill have to make another run around town here in minneapolis and see that the lbs have in stock.

I must have a oval head since the pro-tec and giros tend to kill my temples etc....on the sides.....

THe Bell slant was a universal fit helmet and seemed to fit well. Im going to take another cruise around town and see what there is to offer. I dont mind spending big $$$ on a brain saver...i just have to know that it is the best fit money can buy me You only get one head.....
    Your oval goes the other way than mine. Your head seems to bigger side-to-side. Mine is bigger front-to-back. Most Giros give me a headache on the forehead/back or if they fit that way I can slip my entire hand between the hemet and my head on each side at the same time.

I have tried on some Euro brands (can not remember which) that are even rounder than the Giros.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Members who have read this thread: 0