T.H.E. Helmet- Mtbr.com

Thread: T.H.E. Helmet

mtbr member

T.H.E. Helmet

I ordered THE's Celtic helmet the other day based on aesthetics and what I had heard about the company; perhaps not as good as TLD but less adolescent pimp in styling. On their website, T.H.E. claims the helmet "exceeds CPSC and CE standards." Does anyone know if that would include the ASTM 1952 standard as well?

Thank you

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Not sure why it would matter so much, its a bicycle helmet if you want more protection from a full face go for a full moto DOT approved helmet. Just my 2cents sorry I couldnt help more. My Giro Remedy has taken many a slam and keeps coming back for more so I imagine the THE should do you just fine

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    THE being not as good as a TLD is debatable...

brake later, pedal sooner
    I had the Giro Remedy CF and crashed it so many times I was paranoid of it doing its job well enough for some of the shennigans I do. I still have my Giro, but I also bought a THE helmet and it is an awesome helmet as well.

I don't doubt it's ability to protect my head just as well as the Giro did, and it comes in at a very nice 36oz for the Medium size. The fit and finish is superb, and the liner is unique.

Not sure what standards it is, but like csermonet said if you're that worried you'll have to get a full face DOT/snell approved helmet - but it's going to weigh a lot more.

mtbr member
    ASTM 1952 is a downhill specific standard. Many full face helmets meet the standard for a bicycle but with more and more downhillers adding a Leatt brace to their arsenal of protection the helmet needs to be stronger, especially the chin protector, to ensure it doesn't snap when contacting the brace. So I understand.

I know a lot of racers choose DOT helmets. I don't race moto and I don't buy the idea that downhill riders need that much protection. The speeds are vastly different. That said, overkill on protection is never a bad idea. Iím a 50+ rider with a sweet set of Saint brakes. I ride my dh rig a couple times a week and carry a gps unit in a pocket that records my top speed. In a year of riding dh Iíve never exceeded 34.7 mph. Thatís a good thing for one as old as I and I intend to keep it that way. The ASTM standard exceeds any hit Iíll ever take.

Iím happy to hear T.H.E. helmets are so well made. It certainly confirms what Iíve read and Iím looking forward to getting the lid.

Thanks for all your thoughts.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeolian Solo
    ASTM 1952 is a downhill specific standard. Many full face helmets meet the standard for a bicycle but with more and more downhillers adding a Leatt brace to their arsenal of protection the helmet needs to be stronger, especially the chin protector, to ensure it doesn't snap when contacting the brace. So I understand.
    im fairly certain ASTM and chin bar strength have nothing to do with Leatt braces. when your chin bar hits the lower deck, the thing that would most likely give way, if anything, is your strap.

Capricious youth...
    Quote Originally Posted by brillantesdv
    THE being not as good as a TLD is debatable...
    I agree. My T.H.E. fits like a glove, is reasonably light weight, ventilates well, is substantially cheaper, and took a knock about two years ago that required me to replace it and I walked away nearly unscathed.

Oh, and T.H.E. gives a 50% discount for warranty replacement.
    Meh.

mtbr member
    I just received an email from THE and it does meet the ASTM standard. Good news and from what all of you are saying I've got a great helmet on the way!

brake later, pedal sooner
    ya sure do... lovin mine

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    cant tell ya how happy i am to hear yer replacin that relic. damn thing looked like a ww2 museum piece. too bad it wont help much once ya take it off, ya ugly fock.

i dig the astm 1952 idea but i have to agree that the chin piece/leatt brace argument sounds a bit.... marketed. some of tobys 2010 designs are very cool.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by cactuscorn
    i dig the astm 1952 idea but i have to agree that the chin piece/leatt brace argument sounds a bit.... marketed.
    does the ASTM actually say anything about Leatt? im fairly certain it didnt...cause it doesnt make sense if it did. my understanding it was for front face/chin impacts.

i thought OP was putting wrong information together...

maybe i wasnt very clear. i like the standard if it creates stronger helmets and safer riders. the leatt part, keepin the chin guard from breakin off is suspect. ive heard of crushin them from frontal and side impacts with some carbon lids but never from a neck brace. either im outta the loop or this is another e-fact with less than a degree of reality.

now ya can rest easy tonight
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    no no i understood what your saying. what im saying is the OP is probably getting wrong information as that ASTM has nothing to do with Leatt braces...

mtbr member
    I'm rolling 2 ideas together. I think you're right that the chinbar and leatt aren't together in the ASTM standard. But I'm putting 1+1 and figuring a stronger chin guard means better Leatt compatibility. May be totally wrong but my logic makes me feels safer!

Just because a squirrel lives in the helmet with me doesn't make it a relic ...

it does when the squirel in question has been dead for 3 years
    No, I'm NOT back!

NOT Team Sanchez
    My bro and I both rock the THE One and love it!!!
    I like bikes.

Members who have read this thread: 0