Sweaty Hands = Wet Golves

Printable View

• 02-06-2015
    Burt4x4
    Sweaty Hands = Wet Golves
    Anyone have to deal with sweaty hands?

If I don't wear gloves my hands become very slippery, wet grips.
    My current gloves help keep my hands from slipping but they are getting worn and "stretched out" to the point I can feel my hands swimming around inside the glove as I'm pounding down the trail.

SO you wet palm riders, which set of gloves dry quick and wick away the moisture as well as have crash protection (full finger).

RIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • 02-06-2015
    gzank6
    i go with fingerless gloves.. nothing fancy... and my palms sweat alot. i forgot them once and had a heck of a time riding.
  • 02-06-2015
    Burt4x4
    Yeah, I need the gloves to keep grips dry. I think I'll look for a set with "more venting"... tons out there to choose from looking at google. I think this is going to be a multi LBS visiting session to find the right ones.
    Just looking for ideas on what to look for..
  • 02-06-2015
    b-kul
    i can't help on the gloves but id also consider grips. i use lizard skins dsp grips, not only are they super comfy but the material is more slip proof than traditional rubber grips. not sure if they use the dsp material on any models other than the dsp if you are looking for a lock on.
  • 02-06-2015
    Bikerector
    I also use lizard skins grips and they help. I always wear gloves simply because I like the additional grip and the added layer of skid protection is nice. Also makes it nice if I have to "punch" a tree because I got to close and I don't won't my face to be the leading edge.

My favorite summer gloves were some that had a mesh, open, see through back. I think they were sixonesix but I'll probably go with something like the pearl izumi elite gel gloves. I prefer no padding but pearl izumi gloves seem to be comfortable for me even with the padding. In many gloves, the added padding bunches up on me and becomes uncomfortable over time. The PI divide looks good as well. I'm using pearl izumi as examples becauseI'm familiar with their products but really any decent clothing brand should have something that would work.
  • 02-06-2015
    bad andy
    I sweat a lot too. I wear the lightest, most breathable gloves I can find. (Fox incline/ranger style) I'm not concerned with padding as I like a thin glove. Anything with padding isn't going to breathe as well anyway. I think what is key is knowing that once the gloves do get moist/wet, they will stretch. This is probably why you're swimming in them. Size them so they are very snug dry, and they should still be good wet.

I also rotate a few pairs of gloves throughout the week and only wear them once before they get washed. That way it holds the stink at bay and they don't get too tattered so quick.
  • 02-06-2015
    Burt4x4
    Thanks for the replies!! :thumbsup:

Yeah, my current set of gloves have couple hundred miles on them now and definitely stretched. Yesterdays ride I had some high speed down hill and tons of brake action single track...my hands were moving around way to much inside the gloves.

I have ergo type lock on grips now. Was thinking of swapping out for something like the lizard skins but I always were gloves as I crash..to often :-)

Thanks again!!
    RIDE!!!!!!
  • 02-06-2015
    ColinL
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bad andy View Post
    I wear the lightest, most breathable gloves I can find. (Fox incline/ranger style) I'm not concerned with padding as I like a thin glove. Anything with padding isn't going to breathe as well anyway.

My hands don't sweat a lot, but I also wear light, breathable gloves because I like the naked hands feeling but want some protection from blisters, abrasions and silicon rubber grips MUCH better than bare skin.

My choice is the One Industries Vapor. For 2015, the original Vapor I believe is now the Vapor Stratum. Extremely light, perfect fit (for me :D), tenacious grip. They make a similar but slightly more robust glove called the Zero as well.

I've been down and haven't ripped any holes, but I also haven't slid on my hands at speed.
  • 02-06-2015
    Burt4x4
    Cool thanks. Yeah I'm not in need of padding. Just grip, breathability and skid protection.
  • 02-06-2015
    fishwrinkle
    2 seasons of wear on the dakine sentinal threedee. no padding on palms, but some bumpers on main knuckle area and reliefs cut in secondary knuckles for ease of movement. nice breathable tops and they're paired with odi rogue grips. will buy them as long as they keep makin' 'em. also, i have fallen numerous times, but i tend to not use my hands as my main stopping force, tuck and roll baby
  • 02-06-2015
    Rone Turner
    Giro Xen have mesh between the fingers and some protection. Dakine sentinel also breathe pretty good with some protection covering the outside two fingers, where I hit trees. Those are my favorite for Texas summers, and I've been through a lot. My faveorite grip is Lizard Skin Northshore. Good grip when gloves are soaked, which is going to happen if your riding hard no matter what gloves you wear.
  • 02-06-2015
    Bikerector
    These are the sixsixone (not sixonesix) that I was referring to in my earlier post; raji. They are very minimalistic and pull on (I prefer not having the velcro hook and loop closure).

Six Six One Raji Mountain Bike Glove | Competitive Cyclist
  • 02-06-2015
    Burt4x4
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fishwrinkle View Post
    2 seasons of wear on the dakine sentinal threedee. no padding on palms, but some bumpers on main knuckle area and reliefs cut in secondary knuckles for ease of movement. nice breathable tops and they're paired with odi rogue grips. will buy them as long as they keep makin' 'em. also, i have fallen numerous times, but i tend to not use my hands as my main stopping force, tuck and roll baby

Hell yah! (tuck n roll) Some are so super fast...!! But I try! hehehe
    Crashing is really an art!! Well...first pain then "art"!! LOL
  • 02-06-2015
    Burt4x4
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rone Turner View Post
    Giro Xen have mesh between the fingers and some protection. Dakine sentinel also breathe pretty good with some protection covering the outside two fingers, where I hit trees. Those are my favorite for Texas summers, and I've been through a lot. My faveorite grip is Lizard Skin Northshore. Good grip when gloves are soaked, which is going to happen if your riding hard no matter what gloves you wear.

Totally agree, riding at FULL is really what I'm talking about. That is when my hand waterfall/saturation is most noticeable and the current "swimming" feeling was not cool!
    Thanks!
  • 02-06-2015
    Burt4x4
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bikerector View Post
    These are the sixsixone (not sixonesix) that I was referring to in my earlier post; raji. They are very minimalistic and pull on (I prefer not having the velcro hook and loop closure).

Six Six One Raji Mountain Bike Glove | Competitive Cyclist

I'm still on the fence with the pull on vs. velcro...

Guess I outta try it all...!! Honey!! I need more MONEY!!!
    LOL
    RIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • 02-06-2015
    Gregon2wheels
    IME, definitely don't want the velcro under the wrist if you have sweaty hands. Velcro on the backs of the hands works ok.

I have had decent luck with Specialized BG gloves. They're almost all mesh on the back, so they vent decently.
  • 02-11-2015
    heatstroke
    I ride in temps >85, so my gloves are always soaked.
    Royal racing victory gloves are nice, they done stretch and are fairly thin. Comfy and decent grip.

Only problem is the color runs . You'll need to hand wash 3-4 times before it stops
  • 02-11-2015
    amish_matt
    I ride Giro DND gloves and for me they're the best I've ever found. They aren't mesh backed, but they are lightweight, don't have any padding and fit me awesome.

Whatever you wear, buy them so they fit snug when new. Mine will stretch out a bit eventually, but washing/drying them usually brings them back down to size.

Also consider carrying an extra pair in your pack for long or really hot/humid days. After an hour, I'll throw on a new, dry pair, and really helps.

And buy them on closeout. You can usually find DNDs for $11-$12, so you can buy a few pair to rotate through, and carry extra when needed.
  • 02-11-2015
    Burt4x4
    I was thinking about the extra pair idea, thanks! I think it will be a must this summer!
    I just washed my current pair and I ride today after work so I'll find out for sure if this pair is toast or what...

Thanks for all the replies!!
    RIDE!!!!!!!!!!
  • 02-11-2015
    rpearce1475
    Best full finger gloves for summer I've found are the Endura full monty gloves. You can pick them up for ~$40 usually. They do have some padding on the palms, but very good ventilation (designed for use at Moab) and are tough as nails.
  • 02-11-2015
    Harold
    I gave up on extra protection of a full finger glove for summer riding. I just run too warm. It can be quite bad at times, to where I start overheating and I have to stop, strip off my gloves, helmet and sunglasses, and dribble water from a bottle or bladder onto my wrists to cool down.

I don't even start wearing "summer" full fingered gloves until temps drop into the 50's or less. I wear them well into the wintertime, too. Just below freezing on their own. Once temps get well into the teens, I'll add pogies. Even then, I'll sweat a bit in the pogies. Minimal padding is important when sweat is an issue. Don't want thick padding in the gloves to absorb all the sweat and get squishy.

Mine are super cheap Avenir gloves I bought years and years ago. Mesh on the back, mimimal padding.