Sweat sloshing shoes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Sweat sloshing shoes

Does anyone know of any sturdy, well ventilated, and sticky soled skate type shoes?

Problem is that this time of year I sweat like the proverbial pig on long rides- comes with the territory riding in Florida in the summer. However, about an hour into it my Five Tens are completely soaked and sloshy. This is largely due to sweat running down my legs, and to a much lesser degree how little circulation those shoes have. I feel like i need something like a 5-10 beefy rubber soled shoe, with a mesh upper, and maybe even drain holes in the soles like a boating or PWC shoe.

I don't want to give up the excellent traction I currently have, nor go clipless( though I 'm sure there are drained and sweat proof versions of them out there). I even contemplated modifying a "sweat gutter head band" thingy to strap around my lower legs/ankles, only to have it slip down my leg and fill with roost and clog up

I'm not trying to open up the clipless vs platform can of worms, or one state vs another pissing match here, just looking for shoe suggestions/options.
    Anyone?
    Last edited by Noclutch; 08-02-2010 at 08:35 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I have always had the same complaint about skate shoes. I even drilled out more/larger vent holes in some of my shoes. Never did enough...

However...you must sweat like a beast to get things that bad! You're much along the lines of what my brother deals with. He's pretty much a perfect test condidate for all the high-tech sweat wicking fabrics and materials.

Unfortunately...not opening up a debate between the two...I really do think your best bet is to go clipless since most shoes made for them have way more ventilation than any flat soled skate shoes.

You should also only wear quick wicking socks...wool or some other nice synthetic stuff. Smartwool, and many other companies make lighter weight wool socks for higher temperature activities. It really does make a difference in keeping your feet drier...as long as your shoes can let the moisture out as well.

mtbr member
    Thanks, and though I am wearing some non-mtb wicking athletic socks, though they are low cut- I can literally wring them out after the ride- eeewwww.
    I was thinking that a bigger and bulkier wicking sock would soak up more, until they got saturated.....
    Or I could get some of those leg warmers (made fashionable for womens aerobics in the 70's) to act as a giant maxi pad for my legs before I filled the shoes.

mtbr member
    Hmmm...maybe try looking into freeride or downhill shoes? There are a couple companies out there that make them. I'd imagine those may breathe a bit more than your typical skateboard shoe and will still offer the grip you need for flats.

I am also in FL and know exactly where you are coming from. I run clipless and my Shimano shoes are soaked after a typical ride. Hell...I'm usually soaked head to tow. Can't wait for it to cool off again.
    Signature

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Try the FIVETEN Site...
    http://fiveten.com/products/footwear-detail/73-runamuck

Otherwise, I'd think you should find a pair of shoes that you think will work and coat them in the Stealth rubber (available in a can, paste-style).

Have you considered sandals? not flip-flops, but Keen type...

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Not sure what socks you are wearing now, but SmartWool socks are the only thing I run in, hike in, or ride in.

They are really good at managing moisture. I have crossed creeks both hiking and riding in them and they have never given me any problems or discomfort.

mtbr member
    bmreal-I'm using some fairly cheap New Balance socks I got from Dick's. I guess I'm ignorant about wool or smart wool....something to look into.

Character zero- thanks for that linky on the Runamucks and Savants- both of those water shoes looked interesting. Wonder how stiff they are? I'm not huckin' and dropin'in, but still would like some substance to the sole, and the next one Savant looks to have soles similar to my Sam Hills.

A1an- I hear ya- the temps and sweat doesn't really phase me though I do lose 3-5# each ride, but the soaked leather shoes is a drag. But setting them on the house AC unit and in the sun dries them in an afternoon. I'll look at other downhill shoes, maybe even some agro-sandal- type things?

Just a flesh wound

Try these!

I use them every ride. Threw my shoes away.

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/ProductDisplay?storeId=10053&langId=-1&catalogId=10052&productId=197896&cm_mmc=$(referr er)$-_-Fashion-_-Shimano-_-SH-SD65&CSE=GooglePS&mr:trackingCode=C7261C95-1282-DE11-B7F3-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA

Members who have read this thread: 0