Swank 65 + Really Cold temps = Clothing question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2008

Swank 65 + Really Cold temps = Clothing question

I'm doing the Swank 65 next weekend for the first time and the forecast seems to have taken a turn towards some pretty cold temps. My question is for the guys or gals that ride in the 25-30 degree temps all the time. I would like to know what you wear personally? Break it down layer by layer. I think I have a good system setup but I would like to compare.

Thanks,

Jonathan

mtbr member
    At 9AM Cove Creek will be the coldest spot on the entire swank route for the day. Even though it is the low point in elevation it is also one of the coldest places on that side of the forest. Right now the weather is calling for high 20s to high 50s. You will be chilled to the bone before you start and sweating before you hit the top of Cove Creek.

Base Layer - your preference of a warm wicking base, short or long sleeve depending on your hardiness. Only short or 3/4 bottoms! You don't need full. I'll go 3/4 because I like warm knees...
    Jersey - short sleeve
    arm warmers - to be worn while standing around waiting to start, taken off and left at the start
    headwear depends on your preference, I wear a knit cap that will keep me warm until I start sweating and then wick the sweat awayl
    many gears, some pies

mtbr member
    I agree with all that, except I'd add a vest, and keep the arm warmers. When they get hot (and they will as long as the forecast for "sunny" proves accurate) you just roll 'em down and forget about them until you need them again.

Long fingered gloves, wool socks. I personally don't think that's cold enough to need the headband.

As long as its not windy, the forecast looks like perfect race conditions. I'm jealous of you non-lazy/procrastinating people.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    We rode from the lot just past Cove Creek on Saturday and went up 475. It was 32 when we started. We were stripping after the 2 mile climb. I would wear shorts and a long sleeved base with a short sleeve jersey over it. You can then push the sleeves up it you're too hot or take it off. I do recommend having dry socks waiting at the finish, your feet will get wet.

Official Cooler Inspector
    There are a lot of creeks in that area and a.m. frost will be pretty thick. I would suggest covering anything (bike/gear/cooking) you don't want to have to scrape ice or wipe water off of the night before. My bike was dripping in the sun.

Other suggestions: stuff some newspaper in your shoes and stick them in the foot of your sleeping bag/blankie, put any clothes you plan to use again under you and wear a good knitted cap at bed time.

Oh - and watch the yellow jackets sneaking in to you beverage container.

Now you're cast of steel and cast aside. Broken dreams maybe, but you haven't died

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks for all the info. For the most part what everyone has listed is what I usually wear for the colder temps. My base layer is light weight and I usually wear a slightly thicker vest but I may ditch the vest because it doesn't pack very well. I have a Pearl Izumi Barrier WxB Jacket that I may wear in place of the vest just cause it will pack away a lot smaller than the vest.

I'm really looking forward to the race. We are racing blind as we were not able to pre ride the area before Nov. 7th. It has been about 10 plus years since I rode in Pisgah. This will add to the fun needless to say.

Thanks again,

Jonathan

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    You just have to pick you relative discomfort level for the day and bear with it. You'll freeze, you'll sweat, you'll cramp up, you'll soil yourself going down Farlow. All good. Welcome to Pisgah.

Brian K.
    Member, Pisgah Area SORBA
    GF HiFi Pro

consistent default champ
    I'll have on knee warmers, arm warmers, long sleeve thin base layer, short sleeve jersey and shorts. I haven't done this race before but I imagine with all the creek crossings Cove Creek is going to involve several spots of stopping/waiting (unless you are a super fast person up front... I am not). Arm and leg warmers are easy to pull off and stuff in a pocket.

mtbr member
    @10AM on Satuday it's only 34 in Brevard, low was <30. I am expecting ~30ish @ the start on Sunday. It will be a COLD night camping at Cove Creek, brrrrrrrrrr
    many gears, some pies

Members who have read this thread: 0