Surly Canvas Jacket- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015

Surly Canvas Jacket

Anybody ever tried one of these? I think the run about $250. Some sort of waxed canvas exterior with Wool lining.

Sounds interesting and I am the type that is always cold.

Wondering if they are worth the money and do they hold up to the elements as well as the newer "fancy" materials.

mtbr member
    I doubt it would outperform a Gore-tex shell and a long sleeve Ibex woolie but it does look a lot cooler.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Canvas jackets are incredibly durable (see: Carhartt), but are not especially known for their technical abilities. For reference, such jackets are comfortable (to me) actively working around 30-40F. Much warmer, and you will be miserable. Much colder, and you better have some more substance, or be working really hard.

If you're talking about it's ability to repel rain/snow, waxed canvas is a great material, albeit heavy. You will need to periodically re-wax it, which is admittedly a bigger pain in the ass than using a polymer spray on a plastic jacket...

Ambassador of Chub
    I suppose it depends on what kind of riding you plan to do with it. I think it would be great for riding around town - durable and warm. Not sure I'd want to be doing much high-aerobic riding in a waxed canvas coat, though.
    "The only way we can truly control the outcome of a ride is not going on it, which is a choice I'm unwilling to make." -K.B.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Thread dig, and from an infrequent member.

Have any of you actually tried this jacket? I like the idea of a waxed canvas jacket for my short winter commute, but I'm in Australia and winter is way more mild than you guys. I'm kinda thinking it might be a bit hot for me here. Maybe a lighter 6oz Barbour or something might be better.

Thanks