Super D armor necessary?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Super D armor necessary?

I am riding in my first Super D race this Friday at WP. I am racing beginner in the "old fart" class. My younger mentor (and better rider) thinks I am a fool to race without body armor. I am unsure - we typically ride fast technical trails in Ned without anything but a cap. Do you think I should get some armor for this race?

thread killer
    you know your limits right?
    if you don't push them too far you should be fine.
    next time

[QUOTE=spazzy] Might as well sell your bikes, E-riding is much more productive.

Let the good times roll.
    If you don't plan to push much harder or cover more challenging terrain than you do on a normal rides with your buddies, I don't see any reason to gear up much more that you do for those rides.

I like to wear a normal AM style helmet, combo knee/shin guards, and lightly armored gloves for all fast, technical rides regardless whether I'm racing or not. Knee/shin armor doesn't slow me down one bit or make me feel warmer and I like the extra protection from handlebar strikes, stray pedals, and the occasional fall. The gloves keep my hands from getting sliced up when I fall and help some when I graze trees. That has served me well thus far, even for the super D event I did earlier this year. Knees and hands are the parts of my body most likely to get hurt in a wreck.

If you feel the need for more protection, a well vented fullface (Specialized Deviant), core saver, and arm protection may be worth considering. That will protect you nicely in most crashes. More than that is overkill in my opinion. You'll lose more from the extra weight, lack of mobility, and heat issues than you'll gain in safety. Save the full head-to-toe armor for DH racing and serious freeriding.

mtbr member
    You don't need any armor if you don't plan on crashing.

Maybe you should think of it this way: what part of your body is a fracture acceptable?

Wear some damn knee and elbow protection. You won't regret it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro
    You don't need any armor if you don't plan on crashing.

Maybe you should think of it this way: what part of your body is a fracture acceptable?

Wear some damn knee and elbow protection. You won't regret it.
    I never plan on crashing - however gravity isn't always kind to me

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I rode a super D course for the first time this year and did it both with and without pads (elbow and knee).

Having pads definitely helped inspire confidence to go faster on sketchy sections. I took one crash on a dip where I tacoed my front wheel and flew OTB. Thanks to the pads, I had nary a scratch on me even though my front wheel was pretty much folded in half.

Members who have read this thread: 0