Sunglasses NOT Polarized?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Sunglasses NOT Polarized?

Anyone have any good recommendations for NON POLARIZED sunglasses?

Can't seem to find any anywhere.

Thanks,
    Ted
    in the ghetto of Evergreen

Magically Delicious
    Funny you should mention that. Are all sunglasses now polarized? I know my Oakley's are and I like that feature. Why are you seeking non-polarized?
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

mtbr member
    I can't find any that aren't. Even the cheapos from Costco are all polarized.

I don't like the distortion of polarized lenses and not being able to see any LCD screen like my watch and my car dashboard. Riding in tight trees with occasional blasts of sunlight is making such a strobe light effect that I almost have to stop. When conditions are like that, the glasses go in my pocket.

I don't fish so I see no benefit to them whatsoever.

Magically Delicious
    I have never really thought about your points, but I usually have to look at my Garmin through the lower gap of my sunglasses lens to see the screen clearly because of what you outlined. Interesting.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

I quit e-MTBR
    I agree, I've realized I don't like polarized lenses, for the reasons you mention. (Also, it may be purely my imagination, but I feel like since my concussion polarized lenses mess with my head a little in a way normal lenses don't.)

I prefer orange lenses for riding (like Oakley persimmon) so it's not an issue for me for riding.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I bought these recently:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They are really nice for riding because they're not very dark.

I have an older polarized pair that have a little nicer frames and brown lenses. I like the black pair better because of the lighter tint lenses.

Ride More - Suffer Less
    Im not sure what style your looking for but Smith still makes both. I am also on the fence about Polarized. I've been running the Smith PivLock for riding and have been fairly happy with them. Most big brands have both available still...

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I've never had the issue with lcd and polarised. I've worn them for years. I notice if i turn my head on the side it stuffs with the lcd. That's strange that it affects you perhaps some lenses have the polarisation opposite? That sounds ridiculous saying it out loud Haha

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I just bought a new pair of non polarised Oakleys. The model is Polished Black frame with Black Iridium lenses.

The main reason I get non polaried is that I am a surveyor, and am constantly looking at an LCD screen for 8 hours a day. Polarised is an absolute pain in the arse (constant head tilting/lifting sunnies, etc.)

mtbr member
    Thanks everyone! I have Smiths now and like them...other than the polarization. REI (at the store) didn't have a single pair that wasn't polarized (Smith's included). Now I'm looking on Smith's site and see they have a whole category on non polarized.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Most Oakley's aren't polarized and have excellent optical quality.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by gsa103 View Post
    That's an odd statement. Nearly all of Oakley's range come in the option of polarised or non polarised

mtbr member
    Oct 2014

Sunglasses NOT Polarized?

Quote Originally Posted by Shinc View Post
    That's an odd statement. Nearly all of Oakley's range come in the option of polarised or non polarised
    Agreed.

I have 8 pairs, kind of collected them over the years. Great glasses polarized and non-polarized.

I have really enjoyed using an amber lens, it seems to do well in the woods.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Elbastardo View Post
    Agreed.

I have 8 pairs, kind of collected them over the years. Great glasses polarized and non-polarized.

I have really enjoyed using an amber lens, it seems to do well in the woods.
    I still think my favourite pair of Oakley's were my amber Antix's with polarised amber lenses.

Thing with sunnies is to not have too dark a lens. The greatest damage done to eyes is when you take off your glasses and the bright light hits your dilated pupils. That's why polarised lenses are better for your eyes as you don't need as dark a lens.

I wear polarised safety glasses at work as well.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I tried some polarized Oakleys a while back and they seriously messed with my vision for reasons mentioned above. Also when driving, most other cars and building's windows would have this checkerboard affect. Got rid of them and will not go back! For cycling I was using Specialized adaptalite lenses that change with the amount of available sun / shade. I lost them a few weeks ago though, so now I will either find more like that, or some orange / amber lenses.

mtbr member

Re: Sunglasses NOT Polarized?

I have given this advice in more than 1 thread before, but I did learn it pays off to try sun glasses with a helmet on. I went through 4 different pairs till I found the right ones. I really like the fit of my current helmet (TLD A1) so I just had to look for the right glasses.
    Oakley radarlock XL straight.
    XL means they have longer bridge, they sit higher which helps with the coverage and vision. They also sit close to the front of the helmet, nice on windy DH.
    Straight means they don't stick out on the sides like most of the Oakleys do. AM helmets tend to be cut lower and the glasses are usually covered by helmets sides. Glasses become loose and dont hold properly when their stems are squeezed by the helmet.

I also went through different types of lenses. I dont use polarized anymore.
    Clear for overcast and night.
    Transition lenses most of the time.
    Only if I ride on fully exposed trails under direct summer sun I use darker lenses.

I prefer to have the top portion to be framed. It helps to stop sweat dripping down on lenses.
    The frameless smith did not work for me.

Just Ride!
    I run a pair of Optic Nerve photochromatic non-polarized lens glasses. In conjunction I use them with a pair of stick-on Hydrotac bifocal lenses. A great combination that works better than anything I have used to date.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Check out Rudy Project. I got a set of 5 lens Rydon model for 135.00.

Really happy with them.

Lone Wolf
    My Ray bans work, I can see my Smart phone fine, they are polarized.

I cannot Imagine wearing non polarized mine are non reflective even on the back side..
    “I seek only the Flow”,
    Climbing Is Supposed To Be Hard,
    Shut Up Legs :P

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    Huh....I see LCD phone screen just fine, with my Oakley Radar Path Polarized. Mind you, I have the Golf-specific G3 lens....for ultimate depth perception.
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Polarized for me as well. I wear Oakley's, and have both Polarized and non, and I prefer Polarized overall, but it depends on conditions. If water is involved, Polarized for sure. Reduces glare for me.

mtbr member
    I bought a pair of Tifosi Duros for riding last year and couldn't be happier. Came with three sets of different removable, non-polarized lenses. Even when boating or driving polarized lenses make me ill.
    Last edited by gas_pig70; 03-15-2015 at 08:18 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by gsa103 View Post
    Exactly. You have to ask for the polarized ones. Never tried polarized.