Sunglass suggestions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Sunglass suggestions

So i'm looking around for sunglasses and had a few questions. Do polarized lenses really do much good? What are some good frames that aren't just going to slip off my face when I start sweating and can get a dropped a few times without falling apart.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I am a firm believer of polarized. I fished for four years and wore costa del mar triple tails. Have owned two pairs since then. Although they may not be needed for biking, I still wear them. All you need is a good croakie to tighten them up and you'll be fine.

mtbr member
    I've heard concerns about identifying oil slicks on the road from motorcyclist but I guess it's not an issue with cyclist, but perhaps polarized helps you see glass better?

turtles make me hot
    I ride with a pair of prescription Wiley X Bricks. They're polarized and they stay put awesome, sweat and all. They wrap around slightly and offer great protection from foliage hangin' on the trail, sand and stones kicked up by my dog, bugs... Whatever. I also have a pair with clear lenses I wear when I ride at night.
    Wiley's Climate Control line is designed for motorcycle riding, so mountain biking is easy for these.
    http://www.wileyx.com/EcommSuite/Pro...LIMATE_CONTROL
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Oakleys. Stay put never slip.

mtbr member

Jawbones!

I have had multiple pairs of glasses, from Rudy Project, other Oakleys, Performance Bike, Generic, Smith... After an accident where I got hit, with some of the insurance I bit the $$$ bullet and bought some Oakley Jawbones, and they are without a doubt, the best glasses I've ever had. In 30mph cross winds, my eyes were protected. Blazing sun, no problem, night: I switch out to the included clear lenses in about 10 seconds, and I have no fear of bugs or debris. If you can afford it, you will not regret it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cleo View Post
    I have had multiple pairs of glasses, from Rudy Project, other Oakleys, Performance Bike, Generic, Smith... After an accident where I got hit, with some of the insurance I bit the $$$ bullet and bought some Oakley Jawbones, and they are without a doubt, the best glasses I've ever had. In 30mph cross winds, my eyes were protected. Blazing sun, no problem, night: I switch out to the included clear lenses in about 10 seconds, and I have no fear of bugs or debris. If you can afford it, you will not regret it.
    I wear oakly radar pitch with iridium blk polarized lens. Stays put without every slipping. full coverage around eyes so no wind doest dry out my contacts but is still breathable so it doesnt fog up.

only downside is I have long eyelashes and the radar sit close to your eye so mine smudges all the time. I dont think most have this problem.

Great pair of shades for all sporting activities.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by cleo View Post
    +1 for the Jawbone. I like mine it works well especially if you sweat a lot. Polarized lens? It's great for trail but you can't really see your computer, it gets fuzzy sometimes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I try to find Nike glasses on sale. Right now I have a pair of Veer. They have a soft rubber/silicon nose piece and rubber/silicon on the ears, so they don't move. The lenses are also removable - so when you scratch them up, they are easy to replace.
    You can usually get the glasses for $30-$50 if you watch for a sale or visit an outlet store. Mine came with two pair of lenses.
    When I catch the lenses on sale I usually grab a few spares.
    Polarized is nice, but totally unnecessary for biking.

mtbr member
    May 2011

Oakley gascans

I use my Oakley gascans in polarized, and they are awesome. They stay fit, don't fog up too easily due to sweat, and the lens are easily replaceable. They are also fairly priced in comparison to most.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    So when looking around I found some tifosi brand glasses that seemed fairly nice and a good price and was hoping that I could get some people to give me some feed back on the brand. I mean do they produce good frames or are the reasonably priced for a reason?

mtbr member
    I ride with native Half Jackets, Great glasses with a great warranty on loss and damage.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Wiley-X is really big in the US, due to their contracts with the military. Other than that Wiley-x is really inferior to Oakley. The design and build of Oakleys glasses are really good, even Lance Armstrong wears Oakley.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    +1 for oakley!! i ride with either my gascans or oil rigs right now & am looking into a pair of jawbones or m frames soon!

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas SH View Post
    Wiley-X is really big in the US, due to their contracts with the military. Other than that Wiley-x is really inferior to Oakley. The design and build of Oakleys glasses are really good, even Lance Armstrong wears Oakley.

That's all good, but I'm 45 and wear my prescription Wileys all the time. I lean away from the Oakleys because I don't necessarily need to look like I'm livin' on the edge at all times.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Another vote for Oakleys. I ride with Half Jackets with the transitions lenses, very good setup for MTB, as were the VR28 lenses they replaced. For full-sun road rides, I have a set of Gold Iridium polarized (polarized is great for this), and some clears for night. Love the interchangeable lenses!
    Quiring KVA MS2 29er SS
    Quiring XCr Road
    Tallboy Carbon
    Fisticuff
    ARR | IMBA NMBP

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I use Oakley Radar and Oakley Flak Jackets both with Polarized lenses. Usually I wear which ever pair I find first when I'm getting ready to ride. For night rides I run the Radars with clear lenses. They work great for keeping the bugs out of your eyes. Next purchase might be Jawbones. Can't go wrong with Oakley.

EDR
    You guys with Jawbones or Split Jackets...do you use these as everyday glasses? Not sure I'm ready to walk around the mall looking as if I'm impersonating Bono.

Anyhow I ask b/c I have a pair of Rudy Project Kerosene that are great for riding but I look kinda stupid just walking around in them. Looking for a pair that might do both. Maybe the Flak Jackets, with the XLJ lenses they would be good for cycling but might suite everyday walking around better than the Jawbones.

Here's the RP's, very 'cycling' looking which is great...when I'm cycling.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    You guys with Jawbones or Split Jackets...do you use these as everyday glasses? Not sure I'm ready to walk around the mall looking as if I'm impersonating Bono.

Anyhow I ask b/c I have a pair of Rudy Project Kerosene that are great for riding but I look kinda stupid just walking around in them. Looking for a pair that might do both. Maybe the Flak Jackets, with the XLJ lenses they would be good for cycling but might suite everyday walking around better than the Jawbones.

Here's the RP's, very 'cycling' looking which is great...when I'm cycling.
    Good point, I only wear my Jawbone when I'm riding or a long drive as they are comfortable. It does not look very good wearing it, say to the market or to the mall I wear my half jacket and Ms anywhere.

I quit e-MTBR
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    No, to me the Jawbones look a little goofy for non-riding use (and, probably more important to me, they were so damn expensive that I don't want to pointlessly risk losing/scratching them). Trying them on, I found the split jackets a little less over-the-top, which is to say a little more plausible for use around normal humans.

But all of that is just fashion, some will love the look and others could care less either way.

EDR
    But all of that is just fashion, some will love the look and others could care less either way.
    Ya, I think the Jawbone look can be pulled off for everyday use when you are in you're twenties, but I'm 40...and not as cool as Bono.

Think I'll stick to my thoughts of the Flak Jackets, they seem like a reasonable balance of function and fashion. Love my RP's though, the 3x Polarized lenses are fantastic for riding in the bright sun of Phoenix.

turtles make me hot
    Haha! I have the same problem. My dark polarized Wiley Bricks are fine with just about anything... Jeans, a suit, shorts.. BUT my clear ones ONLY look ok with riding clothes. I look like a big nerd when I wear em off the bike.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    42 here and I wear the Flak jackets with XLJ lenses every day. I think my next purchase will be split jackets. I always run polarized lenses.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by ATVTYSON View Post
    42 here and I wear the Flak jackets with XLJ lenses every day. I think my next purchase will be split jackets. I always run polarized lenses.

I'm going to the Oakley store this weekend to take a look at the XLJ Flak Jackets. Been scoping out the Straight Jackets as well, since I really already have a dedicated pair of sports glasses.

What bruise?
    48 here, Jawbones when riding and half Jackets for every day. Just having the ability to switch from dark lenses to amber (which I usually have in) to clear makes it worth the money. I agree they are expensive but i have never regretted the purchase until my son got split jackets with the same function in a smaller frame.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

okleys

ive tried many brands and keep coming back to okley half jaket xlj's

EDR
    I went to the Oakley store the other day and tried out some Flak Jackets, Straight Jackets and other stuff. I was a little stunned at how flimsy a $200 pair of glasses felt. Seems like my Ray Ban Daddy O's just felt more 'substantial'. They have glass lenses so maybe that's why. Anyhow still not sure what I want. Think I'm being too picky at this point

I didn't try any metal framed Oakleys, maybe I'd like the feel of those more but then again, those won't exactly make good riding glasses if I felt the need to get a pair to do both casual and sporty stuff in.

Dirt Deviant
    Smith Spoiler.
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Bass Pro shop sunglasses. Cheap, durable, polarized, wide selection for fit. Pretty big selection. Dropped mine countless time and they are still going strong. Plus, I have a tendency to leave sunglasses in random place so I don't feel bad if they break or I loose them. Kinda like range glasses.

Polarized lenses are good for spotting fish in the stream.

mtbr member
    I wear Oakley Juliet, they are heavy but wear 'em long enough and you get used to them. They are also the sturdiest and most flexible sunglasses I've ever worn

Short-Change-Hero
    I am a tight ass when it comes to my money. I am going to go with a pair of the RockGardn Pangaea as they have an Rx insert they come with. Hell for $35 from Universal Cycles you can't go wrong.
    http://www.rockgardn.com/items/optic...aea-detail.htm

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I have used the Rider line here in Canada for years. The new ones that change tint work well and I use them for MTB and road in everything but night riding.
    Yes its retro but IT WORKS!

8 Speed is great and V-Brakes rock!

Ex-wrench...have a Question just ask!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I just purchased a pair of Half Jacket XLJ's and really like them. I can wear them all day they are light as can be.

mtbr member
    Rudy project is good if you have a flat nose, or have one ear slightly higher than the other. Get the model with temples nearer in front to "ear fit". Noyz, Zyon, Genetyk I've tried, they can bend at the ear.
    I bend the temples and nosepads to fit my face. Also am using RX inserts.
    New rider, MTBing is fun!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by betelgeuse View Post
    Do polarized lenses really do much good?
    Yes.

But after a while you are addicted. I can't go anywhere anymore without my polarized Costas