Sun visor and yellow glasses for winter sun angles- Mtbr.com
    JXG
    mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Sun visor and yellow glasses for winter sun angles

This time of year means a lot of low sun angles. The singletrack I like to ride on weekday evenings faces directly into the setting sun.

To work the sun angle, I made a helmet sun visor. It is just a piece of aluminum roof flashing, anodized brown on one side, and trimmed with scissors. Velcro holds it on [photo deleted, see version 2]

To keep it out of the way but ready, another piece of velcro is on the top of the helmet: [photo deleted, see version 2]

Here is the approximate view during a recent morning ride in AZ. Notice the removable visor comes down below the helmet visor:

UPDATE / CAUTION: A reader points out the having something like this in front of the eyes may be hazardous in the event of a crash. I always wear safety glasses or goggles so this appears to be less of an issue. Each will have to decide which risks are greater than others. Using soft plastic like a placemat instead of aluminum is an option. (Update! See version 2.)

Yellow glasses

Deep valleys and canyons are often in shadow after 2 pm, so another big help for me is yellow glasses. These really light up shadows and make overcast days seem brighter.

With yellow lenses, "Contrast is enhanced by yellow lenses because of selective reduction of short-wavelength light. - PubMed - NCBI"

But "While yellow lenses can be effective for foggy or hazy daylight conditions, they are not effective against headlight glare and should not be worn at dusk or night." https://www.laramyk.com/resources/ed...iving-glasses/

What I am wearing:

Global Vision Outfitter Motorcycle Glasses (Black Frame/Yellow Lens)
    Amazon.com: Global Vision Outfitter Motorcycle Glasses (Black Frame/Yellow Lens): Automotive

For $12, this pair seems equal to anything I have used in the $20 to $50 range. I plan to have them tested to make sure they really meet the UV400 protection standard.

Just tossing out these ideas for consideration if you are squinting.
    Last edited by JXG; 01-18-2016 at 04:18 PM. Reason: version 2

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I crash on occasion......never going to put a metal blade in front of my eyes.

JXG
    mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    > never going to put a metal blade in front of my eyes

Good point! I never ride without eye protection. I will update the post.

since 4/10/2009
    I use photochromic lenses. They get darker when I need it, and lighten up when I don't. I don't know why I didn't get them sooner. They really do a great job.

I am also confused about this setup, because your helmet has a perfectly good adjustable visor.

JXG
    mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    As the third photo shows, the helmet visor does not come down nearly as far as the removable one. I've found that I have to look down at about a 20-30 degree angle for it to block the sun when it's low.

I have added a note on how yellow lenses work.

Just showing what I did. Works great for me, may not be useful for others at all.

mtbr member
    If it were me, I'd consider a different material for the shade, something that in the event of a face-plant would not potentially injure me.

Necessity is the mother of invention.

JXG
    mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I'm going to make a version using neoprene wetsuit material or a place mat. Will update when I do.

mtbr member
    FWIW. I like to roll my own stuff too. Build telescopes, stuff like that.

I've walked through sewing shops and stores that cater to artists looking for "goldilocks" material before. I'm a geek, though, and people call me "strange", walk on the other side of the street, and look at me funny. lol. too bad. Personally? I can see where you are going and encourage you to tackle it. It's YOUR ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by JXG View Post
    I'm going to make a version using neoprene wetsuit material or a place mat. Will update when I do.
    Sounds a lot safer to me.

You also my or may not want to consider a "roadie" style cap...Cycle Cap | Cycling Hat | Retro Cycling Caps - Headsweats

Ride More - Suffer Less
    That is cool, I love stuff like that.

It would almost be factory issue if you can find another Giro Visor from the same helmet. Cut the sides off and just have the visor portion fitted nicely on top. With velcro like you have now you can slide forward and back. You may need to tilt the visor down now for something like that to work though.

I like a Rose lens for overcast and peeps of sun, I've taken them into the late night many times.

JXG
    mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Version 2!

OK, here is version 2:

It is simply two strips of doubled-over Gorilla duct tape, with a strip of velcro to match up with the strip on the helmet:

As far as I can tell, this design is superior in every way to the aluminum. Just firm enough to hold shape, but still soft and floppy for safety.

Thanks to everyone who provided feedback, especially gmcttr.