summer helmet suggestion- Mtbr.com

May 2008

summer helmet suggestion

I wear a full face and im looking for a helmet to wear for this summer, there is no way I can ride in the summer around here with a full face helmet.

I hate those cheezy looking geek helmets that sit a mile above your head. Can anyone recommend one that doesnt sit 10 inches on the top of your head like some weird umbrella hat?

wretch
    Protec Cyphon, Fox Flux, or Giro Xen. . . or skate bucket / DJ style. . .

May 2008
    I dont like the skate buckets so I guess I will look up the rest of your suggestions thanks!

Bike Hustler
    I just got a Fox Flux for trail riding. I got so sick of straping my Fullface to my pack for the fire road climb up at Galbraith.
    SHAM-WOW

Ride fun
    Oct 2008
    If you want something strong get the Pro Tec Grey Ace SXP Helmet, but if you want something lighter get these Bell Sweep Helmet.
    You build it, you change it, freeriding, whatever you want.

Jul 2007
    I recently picked up a THE F-14 and I love it. Awsome coverage, amazing venting and doesn't look gay. I use mine without the visor and it resembles a skate lid. It won't break the bank either at $30-$40.

It sits fairly low on the head too.
    Last edited by combatkimura; 03-01-2009 at 02:44 PM.

May 2008
    Oohh I like this one who is it made by? Looks ungay, and like something I might like. Does it sit down low profile on your head pretty well?

Quote Originally Posted by combatkimura
    I recently picked up a THE F-1 and I love it. Awsome coverage, amazing venting and doesn't look gay. I use mine without the visor and it resembles a skate lid. It won't break the bank either at $30-$40.

wait...what?
    I normally just ride a skate helmet, but I'm thinking of getting a fox flux for my all mountain riding...

NOT Team Sanchez
    Two of my buddies have messed up their faces wearin' AM lids, FF's are hot yes, but the security and extra mental cojones wearing one gives you is worth it IMO.

I had this same question and dilemna in a thread I started.......ended up going with a Giro remedy, great helmet! Oh and I'm from St.George, Utah where our summers reach the teens in triple digits.........I feel you man.
    I like bikes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    the specialized devient is the best vented fullface i know of, a lot of people dont like them because bits come off paint chips off etc but mine is holding up well, it also doesnt cook my head in the desert climate i live in

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by darkest_fugue
    the specialized devient is the best vented fullface i know of, a lot of people dont like them because bits come off paint chips off etc but mine is holding up well, it also doesnt cook my head in the desert climate i live in
    I don't mean to be a jerk... but, where's the desert climate in Ireland?

I could gap that.
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by LoozinSkin
    I just got a Fox Flux for trail riding. I got so sick of straping my Fullface to my pack for the fire road climb up at Galbraith.
    +1 for Fox Flux.

But also, If you end up doing alot of downhill/freeride and you need a FF helmet, take a look at the Speci Deviant. It's loaded with vents!
    Demo 8
    P1
    http://www.chainsmokeracing.net/
    Sponsors: Twenty6, ODI, Elka, Crank Bros, Sixsixone, Azonic, Specialized

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    ha ha ha, im from ireland but i live off the northwest coast of africa, gran canaria to be exact, you will sweat your ass off with any kind of riding at any time of the year here, i also have long hair which really isnt practical for biking however the deviant for me is the best helmet for hot weather that still protects your face, for the easier trails i use a specialized instinct, does the job and it doesnt matter what i wear when i go biking, im still going to look like a dork so the look really isnt important

Dec 2008
    I live in the hot hot hot desert, and use a Fox Flux, works awesome, great ventilation, and really light weight for the amount of protection you get. But seeing the 'THE' F-14, looks like a pretty similar helmet at half the cost of the Fox, I'd check that one out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thebluesbox
    Oohh I like this one who is it made by? Looks ungay, and like something I might like. Does it sit down low profile on your head pretty well?
    That's by THE Industries.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=10687

Jul 2007
    Looks like I got mine for a real steal. I paid $35 but they are going for about $80 everywhere else. Here's some pics of my actual helmet from my new website SGP GearTech. I'll be doing a full review shortly. Keep in mind that my site is currenly under construction.

NOT Team Sanchez
    THE makes very nice gear, looks nice.
    I like bikes.

May 2008
    man I want one bad, I contacted Ray I hope he agree's to ship onr to me, if not I'll have to pay the three time amount for it :-(

THELAND photographer
    Baseball Cap...backwards with the brim curled up and stencil Badass on the bottom of the bill..youll be set...if the cap is too much just wear a visor sideways

on a more serious note

Fox Flux aint bad...or a Giro Hex or xen...good choices worn/had all of them during 110* summer rides and they do a good job of protecting the brain

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by darkest_fugue
    ha ha ha, im from ireland but i live off the northwest coast of africa, gran canaria to be exact, you will sweat your ass off with any kind of riding at any time of the year here, i also have long hair which really isnt practical for biking however the deviant for me is the best helmet for hot weather that still protects your face, for the easier trails i use a specialized instinct, does the job and it doesnt matter what i wear when i go biking, im still going to look like a dork so the look really isnt important
    Damn! I was expecting to get the ferry across from Liverpool and head off for some warm desert riding in Ireland... I'm bad!

Congrats on being in Gran Canaria - sounds like a great place to go biking... Especially, to beat our soggy wet winters. Enjoy

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by CdaleProph6
    Baseball Cap...backwards with the brim curled up and stencil Badass on the bottom of the bill..youll be set...if the cap is too much just wear a visor sideways

Like this? Made by Sweet Protection for kayakers.

May 2008
    guys just an update I contacted ray from rays indoor park he returned my mail and said they were just getting the store set up to ship out sales and he would let someone else get back with me,.... I appreciate his help and might contact him back in the future but for now im kinda wanting "THE" helmet bad.... so I find another place that has them for twice what was said can be bought from rays but I take the hit cause I want it now :-) anyway I get the guy to order me a red and black one and it came in today.... WOW I love it, really light, really vented, really cool looking not like an umberella hat !!

Anyone looking for a cool look rather than wearing the funny gay helmets get a THE !!

..ouch
    Quote Originally Posted by thebluesbox
    Anyone looking for a cool look rather than wearing the funny gay helmets get a THE !!
    I've been rockin THE F-14 for about a year now.. great lid as long as the shell is relatively close to your head size (uses pad thickness vs a suspension system)... also, you might want to call them now for some extra pads. The cloth on the forehead pad will separate from the foam after a few months of sweat. I'm on my 3rd set, but at least the company was cool and sent me extras for free.

May 2008
    the helmet came with extra padding !! woOT

dirt visionary
    My choice lid and here in AZ it gets damn hot.
    '
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

Members who have read this thread: 0