Suggestions for upper body protection?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Suggestions for upper body protection?

Looking for a upper body protector, compression suit style. Thinking back, elbows and shoulders. Fairly lightweight, not for DH but for Enduro. Would like level 2 for back if posdible.
    Cant really find what I want, happy to get some suggestions.

2018 Ibis Ripmo
    2016 Transition TransAM 275

9 lives
    Check out G-form. I've worn the knee protection on rides and like them

My husband also wears the hip, and elbow protection

I notice G form makes compression shirts.

Link: https://g-form.com/padded-compression-shirt
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I've gotta maintain that the G-form stuff looks like a joke. Reminds me a shirt you'd get off Amazon made by OOTERBORKER or some made-up brand.

If you're willing to pay up a bit (~$200), I love my Leatt Airflex vest. Very legit chest and back armor with decent shoulder pauldrons. They have a shirt version, too, but I just wear POC VPD elbows (and knees). Add some padded undies, and I feel like I'm ready to fight a bear.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I ordered the Leatt 3DF Lite long sleeve version. Not Level 2 for back but should be enough. Want all in one protection. For more casual trailriding I have my Alpinestars Paragon vest.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Leatt lite stuff is super well-designed and reasonably comfy for the protection it gives.
    Ibis Ripmo
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD5
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS (loaned out)
    A road bike

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    My sole complaint with the Leatt is that the thick back pad plus my Camelbak makes it a bit awkward to sit on the lift. That's it. And I'd have that complaint with anything.

Otherwise it's comfy, and I have tested the chest protector...it works.

Tip: the sizing is based solely on height. Since the shirt is very stretchy, your size doesn't really matter- just how much torso you have to cover. At 6'3" and all torso, I should've gone for the biggest size, but the next one down has worked fine for me.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I'd personally say G-From falls into the "better than nothing" category for elbows and knees. I've got the elbows for when I'd just not bother but doubt their performance in anything other than stopping minor grazes. Agree with others the body protector is more of a joke item. The knees + shin look better than my elbows I have though to be fair.

A Level 2 back protector will always be pretty bulky to pass the level 2 testing. On uplifts I use a POC level 2 vest and a lowrider camel back. For Trail/Enduro I use a Leatt DBX3.0 pack with level 2 back protector built in. Got to wear it pretty tight imo to ensure it wont move in a crash and as its a multi layer back protector you can slim it down to level 1 if you wish.. but I find its a non issue at 2 imo. The Poc vest is fixed at level 2 but has better coverage.

I always buy pads with upper and lower straps for "proper" use, those socks with silicone gripper just don't stay put very well in an accident. See it quite frequently where the no strap pads ride up or down and in a multi impact crash.. well suddenly your pads aren't doing anything. As for the pocs with arm pads bult in & they generally don't have straps so will move... hence why I buy the vest and wear "proper" separate elbow pads with straps above and below the elbow.