Suggestions for loose winter pants?- Mtbr.com
    West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006

Suggestions for loose winter pants?

Looking for suggestions on loose windproof pants for winter. Not tights. But also not basketball pants or the like. Want something durable, windproof and made for cycling (tapered at the bottom, room in the knees for pedaling, etc)

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Anyone have these? Price seems too good to be true. Worried they are junk. Reviews are good though...
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...2f0&th=1&psc=1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    Anyone have these? Price seems too good to be true. Worried they are junk. Reviews are good though...
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...2f0&th=1&psc=1
    I bought a pair of those a while back when they were on sale. I am in the same part of PA as you and Ive been riding these all winter and I love them. They are fleece lined and can get kinda warm. But Id rather sweat a bit than be cold. Theyre good at blocking wind, too. For the money, they are totally worth it...I am going to pick up a second pair.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Looking for suggestions on loose windproof pants for winter. Not tights. But also not basketball pants or the like. Want something durable, windproof and made for cycling (tapered at the bottom, room in the knees for pedaling, etc)
    There are all sorts of these from North Face, Columbia, Patagonia, and others. With winter clothing sales hitting now, you can probably pick up some for a decent deal. I usually go hit those stores when I'm in an area with them and just see if anything seems like a good buy. To keep the pants from interfering with the drivertrain, we use snow-gaiters, in addition to their function when we put a foot down on the side of the trail. Very lightweight/smaller snow-gaiters would perform the drivetrain function just as well. They also boost your lower-leg/foot warmth a bit with some wind blocking.

I have about 3 of these types of pants.

The best pants that I use for winter cycling are my Craft XC ski pants. Breathable with wind-stopper fabric only on the front-side, these are usually ideal, tapered at the bottom like you say. I usually wear these with chamois underneath in temps from 50 degrees down to the single digits or slightly less if I'm in a race and exerting at max. These aren't "loose" though, but I've generally found that "loose" stuff is much colder in the winter. I don't need a base layer with these types of pants, but when I wear the "looser" pants, I do, for this reason.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    I have these. I paid about 35 bucks for them but they're marked down now, probably due to season.

They fit pursuant to the size chart for me, but many say to size up.

https://www.amazon.com/Arctix-Tundra-Ballistic-Military-X-Large/dp/B01EFLDJOI/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1521305075&sr=8-17&keywords=arctix%2Bballistic%2Binsulated&th=1&ps c=1

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    https://www.edgenesspro.com/products...-hiking-pantsI purchased a pair for f these and have been happy with my purchase:

https://www.edgenesspro.com/products...l-hiking-pants

I want to say I paid around $40 Canadian for them. I have used them (along with Columbia Omani heat long underwear) in temps as low as -25c.

My pants are a material that is similar to a soft shell jacket. They have some room in them and have a tapered leg.

I use mine for fat biking. I find the fit is as advertised.
    2016 Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt BC Edition
    2017 Rocky Mountain Blizzard -50
    2015 Giant Fastroad

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Try to check out campmor also. They have a good assortment of outdoor clothing. I bought some shorts and pants from them.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockadile View Post
    I bought a pair of those a while back when they were on sale. I am in the same part of PA as you and Ive been riding these all winter and I love them. They are fleece lined and can get kinda warm. But Id rather sweat a bit than be cold. Theyre good at blocking wind, too. For the money, they are totally worth it...I am going to pick up a second pair.
    Good to hear. I'm going to try them, just have to make sense of their crazy sizing.

Thanks for the other suggestions guys!

mtbr member
    Good to hear. I'm going to try them, just have to make sense of their crazy sizing.

Thanks for the other suggestions guys!
    I hear ya. I followed the suggestions in the comments and ended up buying a size or so up. I generally wear a L, sometimes M but I bought an XL. They fit perfect. If you want them baggier, maybe go up one more size as they do fit snug. As others have said, I think this contributes to the warmth. Either way, they are free to return and Amazon will page the return shipping so there is no risk. You can do what I did and buy whatever sizes you may think will work then try them all on and return the ones you don't want.