Suggestions for helmet flashlight- Mtbr.com
    ballbuster

Suggestions for helmet flashlight

Hey all,

I've been using a 10W NR Trailrat as my helmet light (with 10/20W of halogen on the bars).

I just ordered a MagicShine for the bars, and was thinking of doing something light and simple for the helmet. I was hoping for a simple flashlight-like solution to strap to my helmet that would kick out about the same amount of light as the TrailRat, same beam pattern, 60-90 minutes of runtime minimum (I switch it off when climbing, and only really switch it on for singletrack or fireroads at speed) and hopefully under $30-40 or so. I think a second MagicShine will be seriously overkill.

That Russian super compact light head is looking pretty sweet, but that is really more than I wanted to spend, and probably brighter than I want.

Browsing the dealextreme site gives me some ideas, but nothing really tells me if a 120 lumen flashlight will have a usable beam pattern, or even is kicking out enough light. The zoom feature of some of the lights seems appealing to me, giving me some adjustment over beam width.

I'm not really a lumen freak who needs 2000 lumens to light up the trail like daylight, but I would like to see what I'm doing.

GeoMan
    These will be available within about 10 days for well under $100 (price yet to be finalized) on our site:

Emitter Brand/Type: Seoul Semiconductors SSC
    Emitter BIN: P7
    Total Emitters: 1
    Battery Configurations: 1 x 18650 battery
    Voltage Input: 3.6V~4.2V
    Switch Type: Click
    Switch Location: Tailcap
    Modes: 5
    Mode Memory: Yes
    Brightness: 900 lumens max
    Typical Battery Runtime: 40 minutes high mode(100%), 3.5 hours low mode(30%)
    Circuitry: 2800mA Total Current Output, Digitally Regulated
    Lens: Coated Glass Lens
    Reflector: Aluminum Textured/OP Reflector
    Mount: Included handlebar mount and optional helmet mount
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Suggestions for helmet flashlight-mj-812.gif  

Suggestions for helmet flashlight-mj-812_2.gif  

GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

ballbuster

Mebee....

Quote Originally Posted by GEOMAN
    These will be available within about 10 days for well under $100 (price yet to be finalized) on our site:
    .... but that is about double the upper limit of what I was hoping to spend, and probably more light than I need up there.

Then again, if that is similar to the MagicShine bar light, I may want more of that on my lid.

mtbr member
    The magicshine on high will overpower about any 50$ flashlight setup out there (35 for light, 10 for charger 8 for batts) You are gonna want a p7 light that is LESS floody to really throw and be brighter than the MS. On one 18650 you will get less than 50 min of output at these power levels. As far as I know there aren't any 50$ lights that have better than a p7 emiter, There are xpg emitters that do 2200 lumens, but Im thinking it will create too much heat to mount in a flashlight without some sort of fan cooled heatsink, or temperature controlled output.

Those tiny p4 based lights don't put out enough light for serious trail riding without 3 or more in tightly focused beams. They sure are cute though.

We need a narrower spot reflector for the MS, for helmet use.

Also These guys have magicshines in stock, a whole pallet of them from what I understand. They are in Arizona./http://www.thesingletrackstore.com/

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Is there going to be anything special about this MS flashlight over any other DX P7 light... other than quality control? I received my MS from Geoman about 2 weeks ago and completely love it. I also have a Trustfire TR-801 flashlight with the cree Q5 LED. The light is super bright for everyday use, but is kind of spotty and a little too blue-ish in color when used with the MS. I have considered picking up a P7 powered flashlight, but I'm not sure about the short run time. Just wondering if this is any different than any other P7 flashlight?

ballbuster

Then again....

Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    .... but that is about double the upper limit of what I was hoping to spend, and probably more light than I need up there.

Then again, if that is similar to the MagicShine bar light, I may want more of that on my lid.
    ...I am getting the racer package, so I already have both long and short cables, helmet mount and the second battery. All I'd need to make a second complete light is the light head for $45. If it's too bright, I can just run it on low beam.

GeoMan
    We have Magicshines in stock now.

Geo
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

GeoMan
    Quote Originally Posted by jrss13
    Is there going to be anything special about this MS flashlight over any other DX P7 light... other than quality control? I received my MS from Geoman about 2 weeks ago and completely love it. I also have a Trustfire TR-801 flashlight with the cree Q5 LED. The light is super bright for everyday use, but is kind of spotty and a little too blue-ish in color when used with the MS. I have considered picking up a P7 powered flashlight, but I'm not sure about the short run time. Just wondering if this is any different than any other P7 flashlight?
    Only that it is designed for bike use.

Thank you for your feedback.

Geo
    GeoMan
    We Ride!
    www.geomangear.com

turtles make me hot
    http://www.fenixgear.com/store/listC...FYZM5QodaUKkyA

Check this place out. Best flashlights ever. I think the E20 will be just what you're looking for.
    I like turtles

"Mr. Britannica"
    looks like a tk40 ripoff... fenix lights are badass. lotsa "copies" on dx

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ggnarl
    Those tiny p4 based lights don't put out enough light for serious trail riding without 3 or more in tightly focused beams. They sure are cute though.
    [/URL]

Wrong. I use the magicshine on the helmet, and one of those "cute" lights on my bars, set at full flood, and it's a very good combo for the money. The MS is aimed down the trail a bit, and the P4 flood light fills in the area right in front of me and out to the sides as well. Oh, and I only do serious trail riding ;-)
    Last edited by fightnut; 10-26-2009 at 12:08 PM.

mtbr member
    I bought a Fenix tk11r2 for 90$, my first led lithium light. while it is a little nicer than the 25 dollar equiv. on DX, I wouldn't buy it again. The tail switch went out and it took me three weeks and lots of emails and calling china to get a replacement.

155$ for a MCE light is steep.

mtbr member
    I've got a Magic Shine on the bar and this - http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.22574 on my helmet.

I bought it by mistake (clicked on wrong item, didn't notice until too late) but it works great. Seems a little heavy on helmet initially but then I don't notice. It's going to be backup soon though as I've ordered another MS for the helmet, mainly because I'd like better run times. It's a (minor) nuisance changing batteries halfway through a ride

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    This is probably a dumb question, but the Magicshine Flashlight being designed for bike use... what is different than a regular P7 flashlight. Does it have a different reflector or lense or something?

ballbuster

right off the bat...

This is probably a dumb question, but the Magicshine Flashlight being designed for bike use... what is different than a regular P7 flashlight. Does it have a different reflector or lense or something?
    ... These flashlights typically run on one 18xxx (can't remember the exact number) battery and the MagicShine light runs on 4 of those batteries for longer runtime. Most of these flashlights I've seen have a runtime of around 50 minutes on high while the Magicshine is rated around 3 hours.

I wish they published beam width and weight on these flashlights.

mtbr member
    A p7 torch with one 18650 will dim in about 20 min. continuous ops if it is not regulated. On fresh batteries there is no difference in the initial lumen output. The MS has better heat sinking than a torch so it will run cooler, which helps output in turn. The beam width is about the same as a floody p7 flashlight.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I have the regular MS... so I know how it performs. I was just wondering about this MS FLASHLIGHT that geoman is going to start carrying. After reading the details above though, it looks like its only going to have a 40 minute run time. One of those 18650's isn't going to be enough (to me) to power a p7. Guess I'll stick with my regular MS and my Trustfire TR-801 torch(es)... as I have a second one on the way. The TR-801 has a lot better run time, as it has a q5 led

ballbuster

There is always...

I have the regular MS... so I know how it performs. I was just wondering about this MS FLASHLIGHT that geoman is going to start carrying. After reading the details above though, it looks like its only going to have a 40 minute run time. One of those 18650's isn't going to be enough (to me) to power a p7. Guess I'll stick with my regular MS and my Trustfire TR-801 torch(es)... as I have a second one on the way. The TR-801 has a lot better run time, as it has a q5 led
    ... the option of carrying more than one battery, and swapping out mid-ride. Those batteries are pretty dang cheap and small.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Just bought one of these for my helmet. This light kicks some serious butt. Since its a focused beam rather then more of a flood like the MS
    , it will overpower the Magicshine. Its 230 lumens "out the front" which is equal to close to 280 or more of other lights that measure at the LED (20% loss from reflector)

http://www.4sevens.com/product_info....oducts_id=1916

I'm very impressed with the MS on the bars and this light on my helmet. The MS gives a nice flood in front of the bike, and the long throw focused beam on the helmet allows me to light up a spot of trail far ahead so I can look ahead as I'm going fast downhill and through switchbacks.

-Tom

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trhoppe
    Just bought one of these for my helmet. This light kicks some serious butt. Since its a focused beam rather then more of a flood like the MS
    , it will overpower the Magicshine. Its 230 lumens "out the front" which is equal to close to 280 or more of other lights that measure at the LED (20% loss from reflector)

http://www.4sevens.com/product_info....oducts_id=1916

I'm very impressed with the MS on the bars and this light on my helmet. The MS gives a nice flood in front of the bike, and the long throw focused beam on the helmet allows me to light up a spot of trail far ahead so I can look ahead as I'm going fast downhill and through switchbacks.

-Tom

What are you using as a helmet light mount?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGfatED
    What are you using as a helmet light mount?
    Depending on your helmet these and these are great. The way the vents are on your helmet will determine which one you need.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Would this be overkill?

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.18071

Thought about picking up one of these. Although it is on the expensive side I planned on using it for biking and hunting.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by GEOMAN

Emitter Brand/Type: Seoul Semiconductors SSC
    Emitter BIN: P7
    Total Emitters: 1
    Battery Configurations: 1 x 18650 battery
    Voltage Input: 3.6V~4.2V
    Switch Type: Click
    Switch Location: Tailcap
    Modes: 5
    Mode Memory: Yes
    Brightness: 900 lumens max
    Typical Battery Runtime: 40 minutes high mode(100%), 3.5 hours low mode(30%)
    Circuitry: 2800mA Total Current Output, Digitally Regulated
    Lens: Coated Glass Lens
    Reflector: Aluminum Textured/OP Reflector
    Mount: Included handlebar mount and optional helmet mount
    Geo, any word when you are going to get these lights in stock? I want to get a p7 for my father in law who is a flashlight junkie, and want to know if you are going to be selling these with or without batterys/charger and the price that you will be charging. I'm currently looking at a light, battery, and charger combo from DX that would run around $54, but I've held of so far waiting to see where you will be going with this light.

Members who have read this thread: 0