Suggestions for comfortable knee pads- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Suggestions for comfortable knee pads

I got some POC knee pads the other day that seemed comfortable in the store. But once riding they really hurt, and after 2 hours of riding my skin was raw and bleeding on the back of both my legs, due to the stitching on the inside. Not good. I tried others at the store but nothing seemed really great. Suggestions?

mtbr member
    I use these G-Form PRO-X Knee Pads from BikeBling.com. Enough protection for me and pretty comfortable.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Have a look at the other threads already up. Plenty of reading and suggestions.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Depends what level of protection you're looking for

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by hopper01 View Post
    I got some POC knee pads the other day that seemed comfortable in the store. But once riding they really hurt, and after 2 hours of riding my skin was raw and bleeding on the back of both my legs, due to the stitching on the inside. Not good. I tried others at the store but nothing seemed really great. Suggestions?
    what stitching on the inside? Are you talking about the comfort gel that's meant to keep them from sliding? I've worn those knee pads for 8+ hours at a time and have never had any issues. I have a hunch that you got a version meant for something else. Can you post a pic?

mtbr member
    I have worn these POC knee pads for about 6 rides now and they are so comfortable I don't even notice them when riding. Search knee pads and you will find several different threads.

POC Joint VPD Knee Protectors | Backcountry.com

Always in the wrong gear
    Alpinestars Paragon. All day comfortable, and crash worthy.
    $40.

9 lives
    I have TLD T-bones. Comfy, they stay in place and they are not bulky. TLD also makes a knee sleeves with varying degrees of padding ideal for enduro to xc which are more minimalist. They go on like a sock. I haven't tried them and I'm curious how they perform

Mountain Bike Riding & Race Protection | Troy Lee Designs®
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Evil View Post
    I use these G-Form PRO-X Knee Pads from BikeBling.com. Enough protection for me and pretty comfortable.
    I wear g form and forget there on , until I fall

mtbr member
    I went from g-form pads which were okay for riding but tended to get hot and bunch while riding due to lack of fastners but they worked during crashes. Just recently picked up Dainese trailskins from sea otter. Every thing is an upgrade over the g-form pads. The biggest is the airflow through the pads themselves. I was on a 4 mile climb and descent, my socks, gloves, and helmet were soaked but not the inside of the trailskins. The top band shifts but the pad area stays in place. I also tested them on some dirt jumps without any impact felt.
    Last edited by beer_coffee_water; 05-08-2016 at 11:25 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I have both g forms and dianese trail skins. gforms are good for basic minimal protection and i've only used my dianese once. I didn't like it , maybe it didn't fit well and didn't have enough protection. I've been wearing the fox launch pros and I like them a lot. It might be more hot but it gives me the ample protection I want and doesn't get in the way and is super comfy. I'm interested in the 7iDP tactic knee pads though but they are $150 which is pricey

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    IXS Flow, is the best pedal friendly knee pad in my experience.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Sprocking_Crail View Post
    IXS Flow, is the best pedal friendly knee pad in my experience.
    Second that.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ARandomBiker View Post
    Alpinestars Paragon. All day comfortable, and crash worthy.
    $40.
    I just bought a pair of Alpinestars Paragon knee and elbow guards, and rode with them yesterday for 24 miles and 2,500 feet of climbing over five hours and they felt great. It's a soft, flexible foam that hardens on impact, and the back is a very thin mesh with no harsh stitching so it was really comfortable... I even crash tested the right knee at one point and it held up very well!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Can anyone compare the iXS Flows with the G-Form Pro-X? I'm at the point where I need more protection than the G-Forms, for every-day knee pads. How would you compare their protection, breathability, and ability to stay in place?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I dig the 7idp Flex pads. Way more protection from old G Forms.
    I've gotten used to riding and pedaling in them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I've owned the G-forms, TLD KG5400, Dainese Trail Skins, and the T-Bone. The T-Bones is what I ride in now, as they have enough padding to actually protect you yet still breathable. The worst ones have been the G-forms, way too lightweight and not nearly enough protected areas. The Trailskins were ok but the side mesh is very fragile.

Captain One Lung Administrator
    After trying GForms, Kali Aazis, TLD somethings, IXS Flows, 7iDP Coverts, Race Face Charge and Fox Launch Enduro my vote is for the Fox Launch Enduro for sure. Easiest to use, they stay put, comfortable all day and cause zero pain unlike the 7idp.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I recently decided to pick some knee/elbow protection up prior to a moab trip. Went into the shock looking at G-Form and ended up buying the new TLD Raid knee pads & speed elbow pads. Similar to G-Form in that it's the non-newtonian fluid that hardens on impact, but I felt both were more comfortable (in the shop) than the G-Form products. The Raid knee pad was way overkill for the level of protection that I was looking for but didn't realize they weren't the same model until I got to Moab.

Surprisingly, the Raid pad is very comfortable to wear. It breathes really well and doesn't slip down while riding (surely due to the velcro strap on the top). I've had it on 6-7 rides now and wouldn't hesitate to buy them again at this point

mtbr member
    how do you like the full sleeve speed pads? how's the sizing?

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    IXS Cleavers

On the inside is a knee cup with soft padding. Fits my knee's just fine and once tightened up with the straps, your knees aren't going anywhere.

Do require taking shoes off for putting the pads on/off... however, you can un-strap the lower velco strap to get abit more airflow during climbs.

Air flow is fine once moving. They do get a little hot and sweaty on long climbs, or once stopped (think of glasses/goggles fogging up, but clearing again once moving)

Pedaling in these are fine. Obviously there is some restriction.
    On long climbs to the trails I will keep them off and chuck them on once to the top. However I have done quite abit of pedaling and exploring in these for a few hours and it isn't terrible.

PROTECTION!
    Well... I've now had my fair share of stacks in these.
    They offer great protection. Ive fallen hard on my knees, slid across the ground, slid down hills, smashed my pedals..
    Not once have they moved off my knee. Either up or down the knee, or side to side.
    Only issue is on a slide down a hill, dirt came in from the top.
    After my latest crash, I have hit my knee hard. And there is only slight light bruising over a whole area. Which I figure would be the pad spreading the blow.

They do not provide any protection on the back of your legs however. So I do have a few pin marks from my pedals =(

There is also side protection for those frame hits.
    I've never noticed my knees hitting the frame so I guess they are doing the job right.

Alternative would be the IXS Dagger, if you don't require full shin protection. They look as tho they would be just that little bit lighter and breathable.

End results it all comes down to what you are riding.

If I was riding XC all day these would be lower on the list.
    But seeing as I'm riding more enduro-DH type stuff, these work out great. Anything with drops jumps rocks, then you should highly consider these.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    They're great. Felt a little tight at first , but properly loosened after the first ride. I'm pretty sure I ended up with the M/L size, much to my surprise (6'5" ~235# for reference). I'd definitely say the the XL/2XL would have been too big.

Anyhow - these things breathe crazy well (something i liked a lot more than what it felt like the G-Form's would breathe with one on each arm in the shop). Had one or two spills over the Moab trip that ended with my on the right elbow and not so much as a mark nor bruise, so thumbs up there! For all intents and purposes, they disappear while riding.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Thanks!