Stylish and Performance Clothing for the Commuter- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Stylish and Performance Clothing for the Commuter

Over the last two years I have been working on a cycling clothing concept called Club Ride Apparel. I was motivated to create a line of commuting, touring and mountain bike clothing for riders looking to break out of the traditional tight fit, euro clothing mold. There is a time and a place for race gear.
    Club Ride clothing designed to be super functional on the bike by using technical materials, having zipper storage pockets and breathable vents throughout. The clothing is also designed to be as comfortable off the bike by have a contemporary street style and great fit.

Visit the website and clubmunity page at www.clubrideapparel.com
    Bike Magazine video interview that covers all styles at
    Face Book by searching Club Ride Apparel

All jerseys are available online and shorts soon to come.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Good luck. I've looked at your web site and your gear is a little pricey for me. For me, you can't beat a pair of $15-$20 cargo shorts worn over a pair of $15-$20 cycling shorts. That gives me enough pockets to store whatever I need to carry such as I.D., cell phone, credit cards, money, etc. Your shirts seem like a cool concept, but once again they are a little pricey for me.
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → В А

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Thanks for checking out Club Ride. Keep us in mind when the timing is right for you.

mtbr member
    Seems like a decent alternative to the more expensive fancy fancy Rapha stuff.

Bookmarked for future reference. Best of luck to you.

mtbr member
    im too fat for your stuff .........
    '10 Rockhopper SL Comp 29er

weirdo
    Sun Valley, I really hope it works out for you. I think the prices are going to kill you, though. I understand that domestic manufacturing is going to cost a bundle, but I don`t see how marketing "Plain Joe" gear at the prices only "Racer Boy" pays is going to pan out. All of my "kit" is just clothes- no bike specific shorts or jerseys at all, whether for winter commutes, single track adventures, or highway centuries. I don`t know how many others on this board wear Izumi, Rafa, or even Nashbar- maybe more than I account for. Anyway, keep your fingers crossed- hopefully I`m missing the point or something.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    $100 for a pair of shorts? Do these shorts give you a hand job while you're riding or something?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    $4 Poly-pro shirts from TJ Max... $3-5 thirft store pants with the correct waist, hemmed up to be knickers... and a Brooks saddle for comfort. Pretty much done as far as comfortable well fitting performance commuting clothes. I probably spend more on socks than anything.

Bedwards Of The West
    I confess to having cycling-specific gear. When I started commuting we were on a pretty tight budget, and I talked the wife into letting me spend my gas budget on bike parts and commuting gear. So I bought biking clothes on a fairly tight budget. I have mainly pricepoint, nashbar, and whatever I can score at REI garage sales. I paid $20 for a pair of $90 shorts at REI... Expensive stuff is really comfortable, and I'm a sucker for stuff designed for biking...it does make a difference, but I can't bring myself to actually pay full price for it. I'm just not going to spend the same amount I just dropped on a new wheelset for a pair of shorts and a shirt.

...BUT I really like the concept of this stuff. Haven't actually clicked on the link yet, but it sounds like something I might like if I ever do actually click on the link.
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

Ariolimax columbianus
    as other's have stated the prices seem pretty steep for poly or plastic jerseys. i usually look for wool clothes or other natural fibers to commute in because they don't stink, regulate temperature well, and can be worn multiple days w/out washing. your prices make the swobo stuff look reasonable. i've been commuting on 700c road bikes, mountain biking (29er), and just general san francisco bar hopping in my dickies that will never die, in all types of bay area weather. good luck.

smell the saddle...
    Something is wrong with your website when I click on certain items. Regardless, if it's $100 for shorts, I'm not remotely interested. In fact I have hard time paying $50 for shorts. 90% of all my cycling clothing, I buy on clearance. The rest is stuff I slap together - workout style mesh jerseys from Academy or Target. Cargo shorts or old Dickies pants I cut and hem. I never understand the logic in high-priced cycling clothes. I can appreciate a decent pair of shorts but not for $100. As for jerseys, I can find no difference from Primal Wear to the no-name brand. If it wicks my sweat it does its job.

Of course, best of luck in your business endeavors. Let me know if anything goes on clearance!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    the red X's of death!! they buurrns my eeeyes!
    (all the pic links I clicked on didn't work on your site)
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

650b me
    I love the concept of bike clothing that bridges the gap between performance and casual style. Maybe, just maybe, more people would ride bikes if they could wear comfortable clothing without looking like a bike geek. Unlike the posters so far, I buy top quality brands and I'm fortunate enough to make a salary that I can afford to pay full price without hesitation. That said, your clothes would be more attractive if you could lower the price a bit. And as you're probably aware, once I get two clicks into your website all of the pics are nothing but placeholders.

Good luck!

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by CommuterBoy
    I confess to having cycling-specific gear. ... Expensive stuff is really comfortable, and I'm a sucker for stuff designed for biking...it does make a difference, but I can't bring myself to actually pay full price for it. I'm just not going to spend the same amount I just dropped on a new wheelset for a pair of shorts and a shirt.
    +1 on the clearance bike clothes - I care more if it is comfy and well made than if it is the latest! Current faves are 2 pr baggy shorts I got for 16.99 ea with adjustable velcro tabs on waist, 2 velcro/zip side pockets, front pockets, stretch gusset inseam, and 2 hidden zip-open air vent thingys I only recently found.

jrm
    mtbr member

By the looks of it

we all have our own ideas on shorts, and jerseys because we all want to dress in a way that speaks individuality not wear something that tells others whether were hip or not.

There seem to be more of a call for individual pieces of clothing then a pre-determined set of clothing focusing on one aspect of the cycling lifestyle.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I think the jerseys are kind of cool. I can see wanting something technical with a little less of a racer kid look for long days spent messing around on a mountain bike or on a ride that starts and stops a lot.

I have a hard time with $100 for baggy shorts, though. For me, it's hard to imagine not having a few pairs of road shorts in my dresser. When I want a more casual look, I just throw some cheap shorts on over them. I can't put on the liner from a pair of baggies and leave the shorts at home, though. So I consider MTB shorts redundant, and can't see myself buying another pair, but I think road shorts are a must.

FWIW, my team kit doesn't cost what all that stuff does. Or at least it didn't used to. I think the new supplier is more expensive.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Members who have read this thread: 0