Which style of helmet is prefered?- Mtbr.com
    Biker 4 Life

Which style of helmet is prefered?

When I say 'style' I really mean which type of helmet is prefered and or has the better protection?

I'm in need of a riding helmet and I am torn between skate/military/snowboard type lids compared to the typical biking helmet with all its holes and aerodynamic curves.

Here's the thing; if I were to fall and hit the back of my head...I wonder just how protected it would be with some of these biking lids that look like they just sit high up on the head. Do they offer good protection to the rear of the head as well as the sides of the head too?

The downside to a skate helmet is the lack of cooling or poor cooling. I can only imagine hating the lid on really hot california days but imo the skate helm looks to be the better protection.

So any info you folks can offer to help me make the right decision I would appreciate.

DPL
    Helmet Wearer
    Mar 2008
    I've worn p!ss pot (skate) helmets for a good few years now for partly exactly that reason, they cover and protect the back of my head way better than the more normal style helmet. Here's the helmet I currently wear, a TSG Evolution. You can see it comes right down the back of my head almost as much as a motorbike helmet and the general coverage is excellent.

Personally I definitely feel safer wearing this kind of helmet, not only because the coverage is so good but also the outer shell is insanely strong so the entire helmet is much more solid than a standard microshell. I haven't yet had a really big hit to the head wearing this kind of helmet but it certainly feels like it would protect me very well if I had an accident. The down side is that it's a bit heavier and warmer but to be honest, I wear a helmet to protect myself from injury so if there's a helmet that will protect me a bit better, I'm more than happy to cope with the extra heat. You do get used to it though. My helmet is very comfortable and I don't have a problem wearing it for 4-5 hours solidly when out.

Check out the TSG helmets. I really can't recommend them enough!

thread killer
    I have a Giro XEN. very cumfy helmet. i think it has enough coverage for the back of my head. I used to wear a skate style for the reasons you have stated too.
    but the xen has a lot of vents and protecs the back of my head.

you could always go with a motor cross style full face. just kidding.
    next time

[QUOTE=spazzy] Might as well sell your bikes, E-riding is much more productive.

Spice
    Dec 2008
    the f-14 helmet is a kinda mix between the two, but still dosnt have a lot of ventilation
    looks good though !

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=10687

you can get more freeride type helmets which cover the back of your head more, like the giro e2 which looks like you get a fair amount of protection on the back

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=30324

i have a scott fuga, i dont worry about protection for the back of the head for many helmets, because the amount of "overhang" (if you get what i mean) at the back especially, will stop anything hitting you low down at the back because that'll impact first

The Mud Stud
    Get a mountain bike lid. They are light like road helmets but offer better protection and better ventilation. I like my bell variant.

mtbr member
    hmmm...... heat stroke vs. skull fracture.... that's quite the dilemma you have there.

Don't forget the full face helmets... gotta protect the grill too. You never know. I wear mine on my road bike mostly, in case I go flying through somebody's windshield.

The Martian
    Jan 2007
    They make vented XC/all mountain helmets with more rear coverage than typical.

The Giro Xen or Hex and the Fox Flux to name two.

I'd definitely go with one of these over a skate lid for general riding because I'd get far too hot in the skate lid and take it off which then defeats the purpose.

mtbr member
    XC. Why? because for the type of riding I do it works the best for me. My opinion is that you should allow your riding style to determine your equipment choices. Form follows function and all that stuff.

For me, the XC style offers the best combination of protection, comfort, and fit. In a crash situation, my head is primarily oriented forward and down, so that is where the protection has to be. Most contemporary helmets in this style are built in such a way (flared toward the top) that you will impact the obstacle with that part of your helmet first. In order for an impact to occur that would miss this 'bumper' it seems to me that it would require a radically different trajectory such as coming from the direction of your lower body up toward the head area. Less likely, IMHO. But if that is your primary concern, then buy the pot-style. Note also that the XC helmets protect the back of the head with this bumper but also by coming to a point in the back which will meet the impact force first.

If protection from 99.5% of potential impacts is your only buying consideration, buy a full face helmet. That is what it is optimized for. I would argue that most riders value other characteristics, so it gets more complicated. For example, I would not recommend a pot-style helmet for long rides in hot weather on non-technical trails, because you will probably want more ventilation than it can provide.

Look at where you ride (terrain), how you ride (XC, AM, DH) and your comfort level and let that guide you. Figure out what YOU prefer and what YOU think is most important. There's no 'right' style, other than the one that maximizes your enjoyment of the ride. ;-)

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    the f-14 helmet is a kinda mix between the two, but still dosnt have a lot of ventilation
    looks good though !
    The venting is just fine. works well.

i dont worry about protection for the back of the head for many helmets, because the amount of "overhang" (if you get what i mean) at the back especially, will stop anything hitting you low down at the back because that'll impact first
    Not really. "Hitting first" does not mean it provides protection. The best protection happens when the helmet shell fits close to the head.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Biker 4 Life
    First I want to thank you all for all the great info!

Second I want to clarify a couple things.

I do not care if I wear a lid that doesn't have good cooling. The only reason I mentioned the cooling aspect was because its the only negative I could think of considering the protection you would gain by using a skate style lid.

Now I have no experience with any lids for bike riding and I see TONS of people wearing the typical bike lids instead of the skate lid.

I wondered why this was and if I was missing something. I was thinking if skate style lids are so much better protection wise then why doesn't everyone use them? Thats what got me thinking.

Also I ride motorcycles and I have been since I was 7 years old. No bike lid is going to be too heavy for me. I wear my motorcycle full face helmet for hours on end with zero issues.

So after reading your replies I feel much better about buying a skate style lid. Thats what I wanted anyway but I also thought I should check with you guys and get your opinions.

I'll check those links when I get home. Here at work they are blocked and I don't feel like using a proxy server.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I have a Mirra Bell skater style. Yes, it is a little hotter than a roady helmet, but offers a little better protection. I am a fellow mxer, so the hot or weight part is relative. Seems light and cool to me. They also got em for $10 at Jenson USA.

Spice
    Dec 2008
    dont forget on a pedal bike you'll be moving your head a lot more than on a motorbike, but i dont really think the weight will be much of an issue, just a bit of a comfort sacrafice.

not everyone uses the skate style lids because mountainbike helmets are more than safe enough for most people, and the cooling aspect makes a BIG diference (did to me anyway!), you dont want to be constantly wiping the sweat out of your eyes, and stopping to let your head cool a bit
    hope this helps

Biker 4 Life
    It does thank you.

Lone Wolf McQuade
    The visor on my Giro E2 mtb helmet saved my face on my last dirt nap attempt. I've even started weraring it on the road bike even though it's not "cool" to wear a visor....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I should be out riding....

Members who have read this thread: 0