• 03-05-2007
    dmorrow
    Stupid question: What are spd shoes & which one?
    Just joined the mountain biking world (bought a K2 Apache 5.0) after not riding for about nine years (children!). Used to ride road bikes. My new bike has Egg Beater C clipless pedals. What's the best shoe for use with these pedals, and what are spd shoes anyway? Can't find that defined anywhere? Many thanks! Great site!
  • 03-05-2007
    mtnbiker72
    Pretty much any SPD compatible shoe will work with the Egg Beaters. SPD stands for Shimano Pedaling Dynamics...but is used as common jargon for any shoe that uses the two bolt cleat pattern...which the Egg Beaters do. Since you have the standard eggbeaters that don't have a platform around the mechanism, look for something with a relatively stiff sole.
    :thumbsup:
  • 03-05-2007
    InvictaS1
    SPD shoes are basically any shoe that can be used with clipless pedals. eggbeaters should fit on any spd shoe. there are a million different brands that make clipless style shoes, there really isnt any one best type or brand of shoe.
  • 03-05-2007
    dan0
    stiff sole is a must, it will make it easier to unclip also. I like a shoe with rubber cleats, makes walking easier. my favorites are sidi & specialized
  • 03-05-2007
    Psycho Mike
    I've had good luck with a set of Louis Garneau shoes....fairly stiff soled but still look more like "normal" shoes. I like recessed mounting...saves your cleats from getting thrashed.
  • 03-06-2007
    dmorrow
    Thanks for all the replys!! Much appreciated!