stupid helmet and pads questions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2007

New question here. stupid helmet and pads questions

this is probably really dumb but i was wondering is their really a big difference between say skate, road, mtb, bmx, motocross,snowboard helmets and pads.

when i go to the store i see alot of skate and bmx helmets i like, i also like the giro flak and its says for mtb. i also have a nice snowboard helmet that i already own that looks like the bmx helmets with less vents. wondering if i could just wear say that or a nice bmx or do i really need a mtb helmet.

i also am an ice hockey player so i have all my hockey shin, knee, elbow, and chest pads could those second as mtb pads they look they same or is there something special about mtb pads.

May 2007
    Correct in thinking that many helmets these days are 'multi-sports' helmets. My Azonic says that it's okay for rollerblading or skating, for example, but not for anything motorized.

Basically, shoot the manufacturer an email, or look in your gear's manual. It should clearly state what it is and what it is not appropriate for.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    The BMX helmet that looks like your snowboard helmet probably doesn't have amazing ventilation properties, but it will stop you splitting your head in two with the same verve as any bike helmet (as they have to comply to the same regulations). The difference between most sports helmets is the priority of ventilation whilst retaining the same crash resistance. It goes without saying that motorbike helmets are vastly different due to their unique crash requirements.

I can only assume that the ice hockey pads would work fine on a trail, but you may find that they get a little sweaty. I'm going out on a wing here when i say MTB pads are probably designed for warmer climates than ice hockey pads.

local trails rider
    I think the ice hockey pads might also be more bulky than you really want for riding.

... what sort of riding are you doing? ...

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    get the helmet thats designed for what sport your doing. you will be happer in the end, promise. you can never spent too much when it comes to your head

mtbr member
    May 2007
    im starting out but want to get into downhill eventually. i was just rummaging through my garage and came across stuff and was like i wonder. my hockey pads were pretty light because i was more worried about speed than protection on the ice.

i am sure buying new ones would be best but just wondering if until money got there if i could get away with being cheap or if i would hurt myself more than help. i basically heard what i expected and knew but was hoping to hear something else. looks like i will be pricing this week and then saving up so i can get some good stuff.

thanks for the help i know it was a dumb question, so thanks for the opinoins

Jul 2006
    Not a dumb question. Use anything you want. Be as cheap as you want within reason. My buddy uses a rock climbing helment when he rode until he got a mtb helment. If you got something use it or try it. You may find it won't work, but you got to try it first and see for yourself.

Mar 2007
    hey it all sure beats a bandana and jeans with holes in the knees huh
    !

Mar 2007
    hey trying new things while using real common sense has lead to so much innovation.

Qu:Jesus loves you, everyone else thinks you're an a$$hole!

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by sleeymas
    i was just rummaging through my garage and came across stuff and was like i wonder.
    thanks for the help i know it was a dumb question, so thanks for the opinoins
    Usually the dumb thing is not to ask...

As you already have that gear, try if you can ride a bike wearing it. If it works, good. If not, you have not lost anything.

Actually, I am wondering myself if rollerblading pads and soccer shinpads might be ridable.

Members who have read this thread: 0