Stinky Armor solutions??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Stinky Armor solutions??

Hey all. I was discussing this with a few friends and none of us really have a good product to get out the dreaded stank. I currently wash mine in really hot water with liquid detergent and a scoop of oxy clean. I also tried simple green and liquid detergent. They smell clean but after alittle sweating, it comes back. I've heard of some sports washes, but what is the true solution?
    Thanks

rollin
    i heard bleach kills the bacteria which causes the smell.

FM
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sriracha
    true, thats why restaurants use water with bleach for clean-up. A little goes a long way though!

LXC, I've got a system that works awesome- every three rides or so, I throw my pads in a 5-gallon bucket full of water with 1 cap (not cup!) full of bleach. I let them sit in the bucket out in my yard for 3-5hrs, take them out and hose them off, then I let them dry either in the sun or next to my water heater. Works awesome! I know some buddies who use the cloths washer, but it seems like that's going to be hard on both the washer and your pads...

kona-tize me captain
    question wouldnt the bleach smell stay in the pads? or take the color out?.

does anyoen else have problems with their armor rubbign against their skin. i get a horrible itchy, hivey rash at my elbows from my rockgarden flak jacket suit. anywya s of prevention
    Looking for a 7.87 x 2.25mm shock, any brand any age that runs well!! cheap would be appreciated!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Hmm.

Yeah, the bleach smell sorta stays with ya. As well as the simplegreen. I guess some "fresh scent" bleach would do. I'll try it.

mtbr member
    Never tried it before, but I've heard that putting them in the freezer for a day works. Its supposed to kill the bacteria.

FM
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by austinb89
    does anyoen else have problems with their armor rubbign against their skin. i get a horrible itchy, hivey rash at my elbows from my rockgarden flak jacket suit. anywya s of prevention
    yeah my roach DH pads keep wearing the skin off me knees- then I feel like a $2 whore on a sunday morning.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Definitely.

I find that if I get any dirt in the roach pads that they rub me raw. If I clean them they are ok for the most part. I have used duct tape. It works well. My legs look like they've been through the grinder most of the time so I don't get too bent outta shape about alittle rubbing until it gets painful. *previous sentence can be quoted freely*

FM
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Largextracheese
    I find that if I get any dirt in the roach pads that they rub me raw. If I clean them they are ok for the most part. I have used duct tape. It works well. My legs look like they've been through the grinder most of the time so I don't get too bent outta shape about alittle rubbing until it gets painful. *previous sentence can be quoted freely*
    Interesting- do you have the full wrap DH pads? with the floating knee cup? Thats where I get rubbed, above the knee cup. So what do you do with the duct tape, just tape over the inside padding there?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Yep

Actually mine rub along the sides right above the calf. Just take the duct tape and wrap the outside rim so the tape is half in and out the pad. The duct tape is super smooth so it doesn't rub. Work well, looks even better.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Nice

I just looked up at the banner and MTBR is supported by "Maidenform" bras. Nice. I'll take two.

Nov 2005
    just look at srirachas signature...just add water

FM
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Largextracheese
    Actually mine rub along the sides right above the calf. Just take the duct tape and wrap the outside rim so the tape is half in and out the pad. The duct tape is super smooth so it doesn't rub. Work well, looks even better.

Thanx dude, I'll give that a shot!

I've done four injury free days at the shore recently, but come back from each one with skinned up knees just from my pads. (somehow I always end up climbing fromme a second time with my pads on )

kona-tize me captain
    im not talking about the shin guards. i know what all u guys are talkign about though. that stuff doesnt bother me at all. after a 2 day ride session at a local resort my rockgarden elbows pads gave me the worst rash. it tstayed with me for a week or so. if nto lkonger. anyoen ever had this happen before? do u guys think it was just cause from the material rubbin against my arm? or bacteria?
    Looking for a 7.87 x 2.25mm shock, any brand any age that runs well!! cheap would be appreciated!

Oh, So Interesting!
    Did you wash it before you wore it? Sounds like chems from manufacture need to be washed out...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    When I used to play hockey I used this http://www.hockeygiant.com/nobospray.html and it did a good job of keeping the all the pads from stinking. Still need to wash them occasionally but would be convinient to just give them a quick spray after a ride
    Last edited by freshspecbluegt; 06-21-2006 at 01:00 PM.

mtbr member
    To neutralize the lingering bleach, do a second rinse with baking soda.

Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sriracha
    sure, if you want brown armor. I'd just put em through the wash a couple of times in a row. should do the job. That's what I always did with my hockey and lacrosse pads, and you sweat a whole lot more in those. (especially the gloves, talk about STANK with RANK!) about 3-4 cycles worked pretty good. (toss in some fabric softener on the last run and the pads stay nice n comfy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    nose plugs cheaper and less time or febreeze

Some Assembly Required
    Hose'em down right after rides with Lysol anti-bacterial spray or the equivalant of it = cheaper knock-off from the dollar stores. But wash'em ever so often. A capfull of bleach ain't gonna bleach th' color out. But it will kill th' cooties.
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

I fix choppers

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by man w/ one hand
    Hose'em down right after rides with Lysol anti-bacterial spray or the equivalant of it = cheaper knock-off from the dollar stores. But wash'em ever so often. A capfull of bleach ain't gonna bleach th' color out. But it will kill th' cooties.
    This is the best way to deal with the funk. That said once it arrives you are likely stuck with so prevention goes a long way. I have used a combination of an essential oil (Aveda Madagascar) mixed with water in a small spray bottle. About 15-20 drops of the oil in a 2-3 inch high bottle. After each ride, I saturate the pads with the mist and let them air dry overnight. Never a stink and I do this on my armor, helmet, and bag. When things get really filthy, I run stuff through the wash on a gentle cycle with some fabric softener and again let 'em air-dry with some of the spritz. I know some of you will say "that's fruity or too hippy-esque" or "that's too much work" or whatever, however I am heading into my twentieth year of riding and I swear this works. Find an oil you like (health food stores have plenty to choose from) and try it. I have had people tell me on rides tell me that I smell good, weird as that may seem. Stink really isn't all that cool anyway.

Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by HELLBELLY
    This is the best way to deal with the funk. That said once it arrives you are likely stuck with so prevention goes a long way. I have used a combination of an essential oil (Aveda Madagascar) mixed with water in a small spray bottle. About 15-20 drops of the oil in a 2-3 inch high bottle. After each ride, I saturate the pads with the mist and let them air dry overnight. Never a stink and I do this on my armor, helmet, and bag. When things get really filthy, I run stuff through the wash on a gentle cycle with some fabric softener and again let 'em air-dry with some of the spritz. I know some of you will say "that's fruity or too hippy-esque" or "that's too much work" or whatever, however I am heading into my twentieth year of riding and I swear this works. Find an oil you like (health food stores have plenty to choose from) and try it. I have had people tell me on rides tell me that I smell good, weird as that may seem. Stink really isn't all that cool anyway.
    how the hell did you figure that formula out

I fix choppers

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by free rider
    how the hell did you figure that formula out
    I have been at this for awhile. I got sick of having the wash ruining everything and the harsh chemicals giving me rashes. Bleach and its residue are not so great on your skin. My ex used to work for an Aveda salon and I liked some of their aromatherapy stuff so I gave it a try. Trust me, you won't be disappointed. Remember, though if yr stuff is already funky this will not really help. You have to start fresh. BTW: You may be tempted to use Febreeze or something similar in the same fashion, but it does not work as well.

Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by HELLBELLY
    I have been at this for awhile. I got sick of having the wash ruining everything and the harsh chemicals giving me rashes. Bleach and its residue are not so great on your skin. My ex used to work for an Aveda salon and I liked some of their aromatherapy stuff so I gave it a try. Trust me, you won't be disappointed. Remember, though if yr stuff is already funky this will not really help. You have to start fresh. BTW: You may be tempted to use Febreeze or something similar in the same fashion, but it does not work as well.
    i only ride with a helmet...i dont race or extreme dh but when i get some pads i will remember this

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Ok

So I filled the washer with hot water, poured in regular liquid detergent, abit of oxyclean, and a cup of bleach. Washed'em and then layed them out in the sun all day. I think they are going to melt away, but they smell fresh. No discoloration in case you wanted to know.

Members who have read this thread: 0