Stinking Shoes- Mtbr.com

Thread: Stinking Shoes

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Stinking Shoes

Suddenly but not unexpected my cycling shoes stink… bad.

Does anybody have any tricks or remedy? I don’t think you can just throw them into the washing machine. Fabreeze is not getting it done. Most resources say don't use strong detergents.

TRANCER
    Terrible foot odor is a fungus/ bacteria. I say bleach the showes lightly and take care of the problem by getting rid of it on your feet as well. If you jusdt wash the shoes you are only taking care of half the problem. Also let the shoes air dry. Here is a good link to it. Someone actually says what i am telling you

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf000833.tip.html
    Last edited by Biohazard74; 06-25-2010 at 08:38 AM.
    Ride

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Thanks for the link it has some interesting ideas.

I have had the shoes for over a year and they have never smelt bad until this week. I did a race 2 weeks ago with several creek crossings and they got very wet and nasty due to the muddy water. Afterwards I simply put them in the garage which is very hot and humid. My guess is that coupled with the sweat that they have endured over the last year, the soaking from the creek crossings and possibly not drying completly they decided to let me know about it. I think I will try the freezer and the baking soda. If that doesent work maybe the bleach.

Bikecurious
    Aug 2007
    Could try a little diluted white vinegar after the baking soda. My friend recommended that for my funky gloves after washing them in Woolite didn't do it. He says they use that in their washing machine and it works great. He's got 2 kids, sheep, hogs, dogs, etc, so I'm sure they've got some stank laundry.
    Howdy Doody's past the House of Aquarius

smell the saddle...
    I've thrown my sidi's in the washer inside a pillow case tie a knot in the bag and let them air dy on the patio. Take the cleats off when you do it.

Caca pasa
    Quote Originally Posted by stumonky
    I've thrown my sidi's in the washer inside a pillow case tie a knot in the bag and let them air dy on the patio. Take the cleats off when you do it.
    Yeah, I've washed my shoes in the washer before without problems. Use cool water & don't put them in the dryer! The heat will eff 'em up.
    "합니다 행사에서 디비 판매 합니다 관련해" Lesleybien

Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

AZ
    banned
    Add some zinc to your diet .

Afric Pepperbird
    The creek crossing in muddy waters is what effed you up.

Never trust a fart
    Quote Originally Posted by dirt farmer
    The creek crossing in muddy waters is what effed you up.

Its not the water. Is the lack of taking care if his shoes after the race. Can't leave them in a hot/humid garage. This will cause mold to grow, among other things. Just like leaving wet clothes in the washer for a few days. They stick and you have to wash them again.

Wash your shoes, then put some baking soda inside the shoes. This helps with odors. I do this to mine, if I'm riding alot of water crossings.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Yep...

I'm new to bicycles, but I ride dirt bikes, and my boots get unbelievably nasty.

The key is rinsing them out with clean water and then letting a powerful fan blow in them for at least 24 hours to completely dry them - then there's no medium for bacteria to grow in.

mtbr member

Famous Seamen for $200

Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    Add some zinc to your diet .
    ...and hold your, well, Woody Harrelson explains the practice.

Also, wool socks- whatever weight- stopped my infamous foot odor dead in its tracks.

As for washing the shoes, I'd keep the machine out of it. Garden hose the grit, fine dirt out, lay in sun if around, then pack with newspaper, or flip over on floor heating vent.

If it is also a serious fungal matter- the feet: stay away from steroid solutions, pee on them while in shower. More help from a celebrity (albeit in character) from MATT DAMON.

mtbr member
    Simple Green, garden hose, and sun is all you need. I have shoes that are 3-4 years old with NO smell.

mtbr member
    I had problems with my ski boots stinking last season. Was about ready to replace them, when I heard of a product called Mirazyme. It is a wash that scuba divers use to treat dive gear. It doesn't just cover smells, but kills whatever bacteria is causing it. Worked great on my ski boots and some other shoes I treated. I needed to mix it a little stronger than the recommeded amount, but the stuff works. Saved my boots! You can get it on the internet or at a dive shop.

fliernh
    Aug 2008
    After whatever choice of washing method you use, apply some of the pet odor eliminator. It will take care of the oder after it dries. It is cheap and available wherever pet supplies are sold.
    13 Stumpy FSR Expert Carbon 29
    09 FSR Stumpy S-Works
    11 Surly Pugsley
    04 Klein Attitude Race

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Update on stink shoes….
    I tried several things including Lysol and vinegar water but the best suggestion I read was to put them out in the direct sun. These shoes smelled so bad I could not stand them to be in the car. The Lysol may have killed what ever was growing inside the shoes but the fragrance made the shoes smell even worse.

I then soaked them in vinegar water for several hours and put them out in the hot sun. For the last week or so I have placed them outside in direct sunlight after my rides to insure they dry completely and most of the smell is gone.

Lesson learned…. Always store the shoes in a place that will allow them to dry completely after rides and creek crossings.

MTB Rider

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    hear about the roadie who put odor eaters in his shoes? he disappeared

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Supposedly, you can place your shoes in the freezer overnight, when completely dry, and the cold will kill off the bacteria in your show that is causing the odor. That might be something to try if the shoes aren't very dirty, but are starting to smell.

Members who have read this thread: 0