Stiff insole for Skate Shoes?- Mtbr.com
    MTBGremmie

Stiff insole for Skate Shoes?

Hi guys, hope this is the right place for this question.

I ride primarily AM, but as my skills improve I'm thinking of moving from clipless to, gasp, flat pedals.

Currently using CB's Mallets. Nice wide pedal and the clip in is pretty easy in-out. But if I try to use them unclipped over small jumps, drops etc, my feet slide off too way easily.

So I'm gonna try flats. With bike shoes you usually want a relatively stiff soled shoe for power transfer going uphill, to keep your feet from getting fatigued, and also for better control on the pedals. Right now I can't drop $100 for a pair of dedicated 5-10's, so the question is, is there an insole insert that can stiffen the flex in skate shoes?

Thanks!

Glad to Be Alive
    I like high top 40 dollar Nike "Flight" basketball shoes....good grip, protect your ankle bone from rocks....just be sure and not to get the ones with the plastic arch
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

MTBGremmie
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    I like high top 40 dollar Nike "Flight" basketball shoes....good grip, protect your ankle bone from rocks....just be sure and not to get the ones with the plastic arch

Good call on the Nikes for $40. Might go for those. Just have a closet full of skate shoes I was hoping to shred on some flats pegs.

ready to ride
    it depends for skate shoes.

i uesd to ride wearing some e's leeds they were pretty good
    I wouldnt go for any converse-like shoes with wrapped sole they are to flexy

recently ive bean wearing some old low cut hiking shoes there my favorite so far
    N* = <3 <3]

Bikes, Beer, and Sex
    Flip flops

oh Jolina!!!
    Try the Vans Dunbar.
    Nice waffle soles.
    The soles are pretty stiff too.

MTBGremmie
    Quote Originally Posted by Xaero
    Try the Vans Dunbar.
    Nice waffle soles.
    The soles are pretty stiff too.

I have a couple pairs of Vans similar style to that- also a DC, which might be the stiffest.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    spd compatible bmx shoes typically have a stiff sole. ive been wearing a pair of wellgos. i love em except that theyre a really ***** to get on since theres no tongue

MTBGremmie
    Quote Originally Posted by fishywishy
    spd compatible bmx shoes typically have a stiff sole. ive been wearing a pair of wellgos. i love em except that theyre a really ***** to get on since theres no tongue

That's actually what gave me the idea. I have a pair of Shimano MP66- kinda like skate shoes with spd. But pretty stiff compared to normal skate shoes. Problem is, part of the sole is missing for the spd cutout.

183 BRO's before hoes.
    Sep 2006
    I use stiff soled approach shoes now, nice tacky rubber, good foot hold and can frequently be found for deep discounts.

Used to use skate shoes and 5.10s. Skate shoes suck, they are designed to bend and are made out of crappy rubber. 5.10s are expensive.

http://www.backcountry.com/store/gro...Approach-Shoes

mtbr member
    new lotek nightwolks use a much stiffer sole than previous models. look into them.
    22Pride

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    nike 6.0

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    You might look at the 661 ankle biters. I think they are primarily useful as ankle protection, but I would guess they would also stiffen up the sole as well.

http://www.sixsixone.com/Catalog_661...4-52ab28dfe863

mtbr member
    throw a set of $30 trim-to fit Superfeet in some skate shoes...comfy, will add a little stiffness, and support your arches well at the same time.

Members who have read this thread: 2