SS Shoes-SPD/Running- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    59

    SS Shoes-SPD/Running

    I am looking for an SPD shoe that would be comfortable when I need to push the bike up steep sections. What I want is a shoe that I could run with once I can't pedal up. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    4,667
    Um... any shoe... I find all of my mountain shoes to have great traction running off road, especially uphill. Even better when the big spikes/cleats are threaded in the front. Then they get weird to walk in.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    59
    Must be that I need new shoes. The ones I have are comfortable on the bike but not off of it. What is one of your favorites shoes?

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vindiggitydog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    243
    I just recently purchased the Epic Sette shoes from Pricepoint. They are really sweet, and not too $$. Perfect for the 2nd gear (walking).

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    4,667
    SIDI and Shimano.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: boomn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    10,035
    My Specialized shoes have good grip too

  7. #7
    Nat
    Nat is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    14,056
    Pear Izumi X-Alps are pretty much a running shoe design with a cleat attachment. I have a pair and they're really light for a bike shoe. I've had numerous other shoes, including Sidi, Shimano, Lake, Answer, Keen, and Specialized (I'm a shoe whore), and the Pearls are by far the most capable walking/running shoes of the bunch.

    http://www.pearlizumi.com/product.ph...uct_id=1236123

    They also have two other models based on their running shoe line. Make sure to browse their site.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    193

    X-Alp

    What Nat said. The difference in stability, traction and comfort (off the bike) is way better with X-Alps over my Sidi Dominators. Highly recommended for hike-a-biking.
    Last edited by rocky rode; 06-08-2009 at 06:52 PM.

  9. #9
    Nat
    Nat is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    14,056
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky rode
    What Nat said. The differenced in stability, traction and comfort (off the bike) is way better with X-Alps over my Sidi Dominators. Highly recommended for hike-a-biking.
    Yes, and it's not simply a matter of having traction. It's also the stability, comfort, suppleness, ventilation, and light weight. They're the first mtb shoe I've worn that I could walk around in post-ride without being reminded I'm in a bike shoe.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    59
    Thanks Nat, that is just what I was looking for.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eddieshowcase's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    152
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmucker
    Um... any shoe... I find all of my mountain shoes to have great traction running off road, especially uphill. Even better when the big spikes/cleats are threaded in the front. Then they get weird to walk in.
    Must not be rocky terrain. If I used spikes/cleats, I'd break my ankle just stepping off the bike around here.

    I haven't tried them, but my next shoe for hike-a-bikin' in rocky terrain is the Lake MX185, or is it the MX190... with the vibram sole. Heavy, not for racing, but for like X-alp... probably worth it.

    I've used the shimano 51's and have lasted the longest. I currently have a pair of the Specialized Tahoe's, but tore them up in one season, same with the X-alp. Both a bit too flexy too. I also looked into the new Bontrager shoe similar to the Tahoe... didn't like the fit, flexy...

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    118
    My Cannondale Roam's are so good for walking if they didn't make noise on my tile when I got home I would forget to take them off. I have even canyoneered out of a box canyon with my bike on my back while wearing them.

  13. #13
    Meat Clever
    Reputation: DirtDummy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    678
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky rode
    What Nat said. The differenced in stability, traction and comfort (off the bike) is way better with X-Alps over my Sidi Dominators. Highly recommended for hike-a-biking.
    Any issues with reported decreased sole stiffness?
    Quote Originally Posted by VanillaEps View Post
    A little bit of pee just trickled out of my pipi when I saw that.

  14. #14
    Nat
    Nat is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    14,056
    Quote Originally Posted by eddieshowcase
    Must not be rocky terrain. If I used spikes/cleats, I'd break my ankle just stepping off the bike around here.

    I haven't tried them, but my next shoe for hike-a-bikin' in rocky terrain is the Lake MX185, or is it the MX190... with the vibram sole. Heavy, not for racing, but for like X-alp... probably worth it.

    I've used the shimano 51's and have lasted the longest. I currently have a pair of the Specialized Tahoe's, but tore them up in one season, same with the X-alp. Both a bit too flexy too. I also looked into the new Bontrager shoe similar to the Tahoe... didn't like the fit, flexy...
    I had a pair of those MX185's and they're pretty darned good for hiking. I wouldn't want to run too far in them though. The Vibram sole is great for rugged terrain but all that rubber makes them really heavy. The lacing system was a pain so I removed the laces and just used the velcro straps.

  15. #15
    Nat
    Nat is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    14,056
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtDummy
    Any issues with reported decreased sole stiffness?
    It's less rigid than a carbon-soled race shoe, but it did not make for problematic pedaling. For walking and running it is far better than a carbon shoe.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.