SS Shoes-SPD/Running- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2005

SS Shoes-SPD/Running

I am looking for an SPD shoe that would be comfortable when I need to push the bike up steep sections. What I want is a shoe that I could run with once I can't pedal up. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Um... any shoe... I find all of my mountain shoes to have great traction running off road, especially uphill. Even better when the big spikes/cleats are threaded in the front. Then they get weird to walk in.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Must be that I need new shoes. The ones I have are comfortable on the bike but not off of it. What is one of your favorites shoes?

mtbr member
    I just recently purchased the Epic Sette shoes from Pricepoint. They are really sweet, and not too $$. Perfect for the 2nd gear (walking).

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    SIDI and Shimano.

mtbr member
    My Specialized shoes have good grip too

Nat
    mtbr member
    Pear Izumi X-Alps are pretty much a running shoe design with a cleat attachment. I have a pair and they're really light for a bike shoe. I've had numerous other shoes, including Sidi, Shimano, Lake, Answer, Keen, and Specialized (I'm a shoe whore), and the Pearls are by far the most capable walking/running shoes of the bunch.

http://www.pearlizumi.com/product.ph...uct_id=1236123

They also have two other models based on their running shoe line. Make sure to browse their site.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

X-Alp

What Nat said. The difference in stability, traction and comfort (off the bike) is way better with X-Alps over my Sidi Dominators. Highly recommended for hike-a-biking.
    Last edited by rocky rode; 06-08-2009 at 06:52 PM.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky rode
    What Nat said. The differenced in stability, traction and comfort (off the bike) is way better with X-Alps over my Sidi Dominators. Highly recommended for hike-a-biking.
    Yes, and it's not simply a matter of having traction. It's also the stability, comfort, suppleness, ventilation, and light weight. They're the first mtb shoe I've worn that I could walk around in post-ride without being reminded I'm in a bike shoe.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Thanks Nat, that is just what I was looking for.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmucker
    Um... any shoe... I find all of my mountain shoes to have great traction running off road, especially uphill. Even better when the big spikes/cleats are threaded in the front. Then they get weird to walk in.
    Must not be rocky terrain. If I used spikes/cleats, I'd break my ankle just stepping off the bike around here.

I haven't tried them, but my next shoe for hike-a-bikin' in rocky terrain is the Lake MX185, or is it the MX190... with the vibram sole. Heavy, not for racing, but for like X-alp... probably worth it.

I've used the shimano 51's and have lasted the longest. I currently have a pair of the Specialized Tahoe's, but tore them up in one season, same with the X-alp. Both a bit too flexy too. I also looked into the new Bontrager shoe similar to the Tahoe... didn't like the fit, flexy...

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    My Cannondale Roam's are so good for walking if they didn't make noise on my tile when I got home I would forget to take them off. I have even canyoneered out of a box canyon with my bike on my back while wearing them.

Meat Clever
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky rode
    What Nat said. The differenced in stability, traction and comfort (off the bike) is way better with X-Alps over my Sidi Dominators. Highly recommended for hike-a-biking.
    Any issues with reported decreased sole stiffness?
    Quote Originally Posted by VanillaEps View Post
    A little bit of pee just trickled out of my pipi when I saw that.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eddieshowcase
    Must not be rocky terrain. If I used spikes/cleats, I'd break my ankle just stepping off the bike around here.

I haven't tried them, but my next shoe for hike-a-bikin' in rocky terrain is the Lake MX185, or is it the MX190... with the vibram sole. Heavy, not for racing, but for like X-alp... probably worth it.

I've used the shimano 51's and have lasted the longest. I currently have a pair of the Specialized Tahoe's, but tore them up in one season, same with the X-alp. Both a bit too flexy too. I also looked into the new Bontrager shoe similar to the Tahoe... didn't like the fit, flexy...
    I had a pair of those MX185's and they're pretty darned good for hiking. I wouldn't want to run too far in them though. The Vibram sole is great for rugged terrain but all that rubber makes them really heavy. The lacing system was a pain so I removed the laces and just used the velcro straps.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtDummy
    Any issues with reported decreased sole stiffness?
    It's less rigid than a carbon-soled race shoe, but it did not make for problematic pedaling. For walking and running it is far better than a carbon shoe.

Members who have read this thread: 0