SS Shoes- Mtbr.com

Thread: SS Shoes

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

SS Shoes

With the extra walking one does on a SSer, are there any recommendations for comfy durable MTB shoes that work well on pedal and on foot ?

Dec 2003

Smile These are the bomb

But seriously, I have an older pair of these Shimano shoes that works well on and off the bike. Performance has'em on sale for 69 bucks.

They've held up pretty well allthough I did take them into a shoemaker for a little stitching reapair around the ankle collar. This will be their third season of use and abuse. I think most shoes would work well for singlespeeding. Some of the most comfortable cycling shoes I've ever owned were sidi dominators. They felt like slippers and lasted for around three seasons. I don't know if I would want to walk for miles in them though. I bought the shimanos pictured above because they reminded me of the HiTech Sierras that we all wore way back in the eighties for mountain biking. 15 nonindexed gears on a full rigid steel stumpy. Bull moose handlebars, beartrap pedals, carried all our crap in a fanny pack. pre camelback, pre power bar, pre sis, pre v-brake, pre spd. But still post singlespeed. Maybe that's why we love it so much. We're pre-retro moderns.

I am the owl
    Quote Originally Posted by OneFear
    With the extra walking one does on a SSer
    I don't don't do any more walking than I would on any other bike, so I just pick the shoe that matches what I'm looking for normally.
    SingleSpeedOutlaw .com
    Riding Bikes and Drinking Beer.

KgB
    SNGLSPD

Wtf

[QUOTE=OneFear]With the extra walking one does on a SSer, are there any recommendations for comfy durable MTB shoes that work well on pedal and on foot ?[/QUOTE}

What extra walking?
    I have Lake mx 176,they don't make 'em any more.
    Generally the cheaper the shoe the better they will be for hiking.
    I've been inside too long.

USB Rep'n

In true SS fashion...

I'd say that as long as the shoes match my outfit, Im good to go!
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!

Jan 2004

Good job! definitely!

Quote Originally Posted by namaSSte
    I'd say that as long as the shoes match my outfit, Im good to go!
    style is most important. you should try to avoid major bands like specialized and shimano, because they are too mainstream for the truly subversive "ss look" i'm sure we all strive for. also, although sidis are really nice, they might be a little to bourgeoisie (i.e. on the trail, people might be inclined to think that you drove up in an ML55 or *puke* an H2).

finally, remember that navy doesn't go with black, unless you're a cop.

Keep these tips in mind, and you're sure to be fabulous!

mtbr member

AXO Blackballs

Actually, I just bought these for $30 (60% off) from an LBS that's shutting down this weekend. Sad that they're closing but their lease is up in April and the owner has been wanting to go back to school and start teaching again I believe. Probably going back there today to stock up on essentials like tubes, brake pads, lube etc.

Have yet to try them though. I like the stealth look of them. My wife says they're ugly!
    A good friend will come bail you out of jail.
    But a true friend will be sitting next to you saying
    "Damn... we fcuked up!"

Expert Pushing SSer

I wear...

Quote Originally Posted by OneFear
    With the extra walking one does on a SSer, are there any recommendations for comfy durable MTB shoes that work well on pedal and on foot ?
    only 1 shoe. I also use one crank arm too. It goes with the whole theme.

Actually, I would be inclined to get the more hike a bike look and go for the shimanos above or something of that ilk. My previous shoes were like that and much more comfy, but way dated in the fashion dept. I am ready to ditch the shoes I have now for more of the hiking look.

Cheers!

Mike
    Tuff Schist

ali'i hua
    Quote Originally Posted by Meat Foot
    only 1 shoe. I also use one crank arm too. It goes with the whole theme.

Actually, I would be inclined to get the more hike a bike look and go for the shimanos above or something of that ilk. My previous shoes were like that and much more comfy, but way dated in the fashion dept. I am ready to ditch the shoes I have now for more of the hiking look.

Cheers!

Mike
    no kidding- you really need to get rid of the early 90s shimanos. the lime green and magenta strips are definitely out of style.

Fat Boy Deluxe
    I used to use a pair of Cannondale shoes that looked like those Shimano ones. They were actually exactly what I needed at the time. They weren't really high tops, but the ankle was definitely a little higher than a normal shoe. Perfect for riding the Shenandoah Valley trails and then biking to class and walking around all the buildings. I wore them for about 4-5 years before the section of sole where the cleat is screwed in broke.

DT