Spring Shoes-Weirwolf-- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Spring Shoes-Weirwolf-

I know if will be a little bit before things dry up, but was looking at running WTB Weirwolf LT this spring and summer. I've heard good things about them as a front tire, but wanted to know if they worked well as a rear tire. i guess some people run the rear backwards or run a different tire. Currently I ride mostly in the Auburn area and currently running WTB Moto Rapter 2, 4 and a 2.2

Any info would be appreciated.

NedwannaB

Good f and r.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Rico
    I know if will be a little bit before things dry up, but was looking at running WTB Weirwolf LT this spring and summer. I've heard good things about them as a front tire, but wanted to know if they worked well as a rear tire. i guess some people run the rear backwards or run a different tire. Currently I ride mostly in the Auburn area and currently running WTB Moto Rapter 2, 4 and a 2.2

Any info would be appreciated.

High vol/low pressure give plenty of cush/grip in back. Little thinner sidewalls i would think though.

***Speaking on the LT2.55's***
    Last edited by JMac47; 03-14-2010 at 08:26 PM.
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

Resident Curmudgeon
    I run the Weirwolf LT 2.5 front and rear at at between 30-32 psi. haven't torn a sidewall or flattened in a long time. I think it grips quite nicely.
    Warning: Consumption of alcohol may make you think the person on the barstool next to you is attractive

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I run the LT front and rear in auburn. I couldn't ask for a better tire.

mtbr member
    i run a 2.5 regular weir up front, with a moto raptor 2.25 rear. killer auburn combo.

the new 2010 wtb weir's are redesigned with more tread. supposedly bigger 2.3 also

NedwannaB

Oh yah!

Quote Originally Posted by ss34x18
    I run the LT front and rear in auburn. I couldn't ask for a better tire.
    Can't wait til things get a little dryer and can throw mine back on the SS.

mtbr member
    Theres barely any tread for grip, if high volume fast rolling tires are you're thing, check out the mutanoraptor 2.4

NedwannaB

My set up

Quote Originally Posted by Yody
    Theres barely any tread for grip, if high volume fast rolling tires are you're thing, check out the mutanoraptor 2.4
    Thru Fall is Mutano 2.4 rr/WW 2.55LT fr. You're right the LT up front is a little slippery and unpredictable when the trails get slick so off it came. IMHO it's better then the mutano in back when things tighten up.

mtbr member
    The WW 2.55 LT w/ the Inner Peace sidewall has been my rear tire of choice for terrain with sharp rocks - San Luis Obispo, Downieville, Auburn, and Annadel in particular.

I like a little more grip up front than the 2.55 LT gives me, and prefer a little more side grip on both ends. I may go back to the 2.4 Mutanos, with the Inner Peace version out back.

YESBRO!!!
    oh man!

have you seen the deal with the NEW weirwolfs?

they redesigned them and they're better than before. check out the new tread pattern.

it's like a weirwolf that's new and improved.

let me be the first to say that i like to think i'm not one to get suckered into marketing shtick, that being said, i can't wait to get on a pair of them!

Sweater
    The Weirwolf LT2.55 has been pretty good for me as a rear tire. Ive only run it for the last month or so but I've been impressed. Been running it mounted forward. Ive run it in auburn, salmon falls, granite bay, boggs, and some stuff over in amador. It offers good general traction and excellent traction over rocks and decent on roots(what we have around here for roots anyway). Doesn.t seem to pack up with muck and mud nearly as bad as it did as a front tire when things were wet. I did manage to put a small cut right in the tread on its maiden rear tire voyage while climbing some rocks on confluence, but it did survive an entire season as a front tire without any issues. I superglued a patch over the cut on the inside of the tire and its held up running tubeless ever since. You may want to check your clearance on the tire though, its fairly wide and pretty tall so you may have issues. Overall its pretty good out back and I would give it a shot. Are you looking at buying the tire or have it laying around? If you're buying them you may also look at the Wolverine 2.2, real similar tread and my buddy gets great traction with it as a rear tire. Its a little smaller(though a still good size 2.2) so you wont have the clearance issues and save a little weight.
    All out of S**** and down to my last F***

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by datenschwanz
    oh man!

have you seen the deal with the NEW weirwolfs?

they redesigned them and they're better than before. check out the new tread pattern.

it's like a weirwolf that's new and improved.

let me be the first to say that i like to think i'm not one to get suckered into marketing shtick, that being said, i can't wait to get on a pair of them!
    Agree. I am running a set of the new Weirwolf 2.1's on my blur and they are very sweet. they changed up the center tread and the side nobs a bit and so far so good.

Q

mtbr member
    For many years, I've had the Weirwolf 2.5 up front and other than muddy conditions it's been working very well for me. I run the same front tire, same air pressure, every ride and it builds up confidence knowing exactly how the tire will respond.

For the past 2 weeks I've had the new Weirwolf 2.3 up front. Inner Peace/TCS. I don't run tubeless, but the thick sidewalls allow you to run lower air pressure. Combine this with the new terraced and softer side knobs this thing really does hook up.

Only negatives so far -
    friggin tough to seat the bead on my rims. use soapy water.
    for us tube users - it's a heavy tire for a 2.3 - trade off being heavy duty

I'm a creature of habit and a believer in 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'. I've got just over 100 miles on this thing and yesterday logged a good Annadel ride, and am now pretty close to being convinced this is an improved version. Takes me a while to learn the characteristics of a new tread and I'm not a fan of pushing front tires until they fail, cuz falling sucks. So far so good, this thing seems to be the real deal.

The marketing version of the story is here
    http://www.wtb.com/weirwolf/development.html

Sweet test track

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I'm running the Older LT's which i love, but there is a drift to them in the corners. I guess the new design spread out the knobs a little bit, so that drift feeling would be a little less noticeable.

mtbr member
    good review fat.tires, i've been waiting for a shop to stock the 2.3s locally but no luck

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    redmr2man where are you located? I'm pretty sure i was the 2.3's at Folsom bike.

mtbr member
    folsom bike? is that the new place with the coffee shop inside?

I was in there yesterday looking for tenchu and they didn't have any, wasn't thinking about tires! Am I right to guess they're way marked up on price?

and yeah, im in sac by csus, but make my way upto auburn/eldo hills/folsom a few times a week for rides.

feeling squirrelly
    Check out this vid on the new Weirwolf
    http://www.wtb.com/weirwolf/development.html

Bicycle Emporium in Auburn just got a full shipment of new tires, go get 'em!

mtbr member
    post prices!

feeling squirrelly
    Quote Originally Posted by redmr2_man
    post prices!
    MSRP on race casing tires is $50 and TCS and UST are $60.

River Rat on Sunrise is closer to you, I think they are pretty well stocked also.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    how do you know so much about WTB tires Jen?

feeling squirrelly
    Quote Originally Posted by ss34x18
    how do you know so much about WTB tires Jen?
    Heh heh, I have a personal interest in making sure the West coast rep is successful.

Plus we eat sleep breathe WTB round here, I can't help but pick up info by osmosis.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by badjenny
    MSRP on race casing tires is $50 and TCS and UST are $60.

River Rat on Sunrise is closer to you, I think they are pretty well stocked also.
    lol who pays msrp anymore?

~~~
    the new 2010 wtb weir's are redesigned with more tread. supposedly bigger 2.3 also
    I've been interested in checking out the new version. Here's a discussion going on in the Turner forum. Seems some early versions of the new tires are much heavier than advertised. Let's see if this is just a early production problem...

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=598319

mtbr member
    they're talking tcs, isn't the regular race version 2.3 listed at 750g? im pissed they dropped the 2.5. I like them as my girly xc tires

Caca pasa
    Quote Originally Posted by Yody
    I can't believe these tires. I bought a set at Performance when they had them marked silly down, and the confidence these give me on my SS is in-focking-credible. Nothing but good to say about it in the front. On the rear, I've got to have something with a little more cush, so I'm running the Pana Cinders to good effect.
    "합니다 행사에서 디비 판매 합니다 관련해" Lesleybien

Hogan Lake blog. A section of Hogan Lake trails here.

Birthday Collector
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47
    Thru Fall is Mutano 2.4 rr/WW 2.55LT fr. You're right the LT up front is a little slippery and unpredictable when the trails get slick so off it came. IMHO it's better then the mutano in back when things tighten up.
    JMac - weren't you using the Wolverine in front last time I saw you on your SS? How do you like it in the dry compared to the WW LT2.55? Also, what have you been using in the rear with the Wolverine as a front when things were wetter? Did you keep the 2.4 Mutano?
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living

NedwannaB

Probably did

Quote Originally Posted by ATBScott
    JMac - weren't you using the Wolverine in front last time I saw you on your SS? How do you like it in the dry compared to the WW LT2.55? Also, what have you been using in the rear with the Wolverine as a front when things were wetter? Did you keep the 2.4 Mutano?
    Like them both in the dry. Will put on back soon, then run til it wears out before putting on a 2.55. I didn't have a comparible size tire to use up front with it in winte, so I'm running some Panacer 1.95's sumthin f & r now.

mtbr member
    badjenny, might save me some time from calling tons of places, do you know who stocks a 2.3race thats closer to sac state than auburn or sunrise?

Sweater
    badjenny, might save me some time from calling tons of places, do you know who stocks a 2.3race thats closer to sac state than auburn or sunrise?
    The Hub just got a ton of WTB tires in, might give them a call or stop by on your way to auburn or G bay
    All out of S**** and down to my last F***

feeling squirrelly
    2.3 is only available in TCS and UST. Race casing is available in 2.1, but it's a big 2.1

Try Mad Cat Bikes, they are closer to Sac State at the corner of Marconi and Fulton.

mtbr member
    oh so the 2.3 tcs IS gunna be 900 grams? ugh i dont want it then!

mad cat doesnt have any, but thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    redmr2_man - the best 900 grams will put on your bike.

If your trying to go light try the http://www.maxxis.com/Bicycle/Mounta...xLite-285.aspx

, but bring extra tubes

Fireball in the Night
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Rico
    I know if will be a little bit before things dry up, but was looking at running WTB Weirwolf LT this spring and summer. I've heard good things about them as a front tire, but wanted to know if they worked well as a rear tire. i guess some people run the rear backwards or run a different tire. Currently I ride mostly in the Auburn area and currently running WTB Moto Rapter 2, 4 and a 2.2 Any info would be appreciated.
    Both. I've run them F/R in opposite and same directions. My greatest experiences w/the 2.55 are as a forgiving, directional, steering tire that is faultless in corners... excluding the marbles... riding this tire w/a high degree of confidence. I pair it with a paddle tire such as those mentioned & others you've used -- one that balances accelerating torque & braking power when you look at the tread blocks.
    everyone drives a Used Car

mtbr member
    last model 2.3 race was 710g, the tcs tread is 800grams or 850 i thought was claimed by wtb

ppl are weighin them at 900-975grams? thats two pounds of tire!

my weirwolf 2.5 is 820 or 840 grams. lol so wtf

mtbr member
    2.3 Race-, AM TCS-953 grams, UST-896 grams

ouch

mtbr member
    yep, called mikes bikes and they have the 2.3 tcs in stock, had him ditch the packaging and toss it on the gram scale. 940grams. Pretty brutal for a 2.3.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Thanks for all the feedback. Picked up a pair of LT's with the Inner Peace and will run them tubeless.

mtbr member
    two days of testing and it's a keeper. The new 2.3 weir can hold it's own. Put it through the paces at Demo and it's scary how well it grips. It rolls WAY faster than the old one.

Lean it into a corner and **** yourself.

It's that good.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Just mounted a new set of LT's on my new Carbon Blur. I rode Auburn today, and i couldn't break those tires loose at all. Some parts of the Connector I was Moto GP style too.

Members who have read this thread: 0