Spot or flood for helmet mount?- Mtbr.com
    Woohooo! Moderator

Spot or flood for helmet mount?

I know the conventional wisdom is to put a spot on your helmet and a flood on your bars, but I'm strongly thinking about floods on my head. Anyone run a setup like that? Do you lose any of the flood due to the curviture of your helmet (or visor)? I tried searching, but it's difficult since pretty much every post here uses the word "flood" .

My riding (in the daylight) is mostly slow speed, technical stuff and I will want to ride pretty much everything at night. I will have plenty of horsepower on the bars with flood and spot patterns so I'm not worried about seeing in front of me--it's the side to side and close in that I want to focus on.

In either case, I'll be running an Amoeba so SSC P4 U2SWOH if flood, or Cree R2 WC if spot--I'll have at least ~450 lumens either way. Thanks for your input!!!

mtbr member
    Conventional wisdom as you state means that if you are using a spot it will be used to highlight objects far ahead. From what you've said this might not apply to you. I've used helmet lights both ways but to suit my riding style I much prefer a spot. Using a flood beam helmet mounted can work very well though. A flood beam on a helmet works great on twisty, slower single track however with one stipulation...It needs to be at least in the 600lm range ( IMO ). A helmet light with only 450lm is best used with a spot or medium optic. With that said I have a Dinotte 200L helmet light that has a spot optic. For a spot optic though it has a rather wide beam. That being the case I should probably call it a medium optic. Anyway, it does the job rather well and is useful up to 75ft. Since you are considering a 2 x SSC P-4 you might want to consider the Dinotte 400L as a helmet light. If you order both set of optics you could mix them and have the best of both worlds. Just an idea...
    Last edited by Cat-man-do; 12-30-2009 at 05:10 AM.

3 Legged Big Top
    Mar 2009
    Kristian, having both of those lights and trying both solo I would say you will like the flood version better as a solo light on slow technical stuff. I dont care much for running my spot by itself in areas like PP, but the flood works great there. If you ride stuff like the XC trails of Pueblo or CT in Buffalo Creek that is when the spot really shines

Curtis

3 Legged Big Top
    Mar 2009
    Also, for me the results were the same whether helmet or bar mounted. I would also be willing to meet up with you and let you try them both.

C

mtbr member
    IMHO
    with the new leds available to us you need to rethink about spot V flood . as it is now easy to have a small bar light ( IE Liberator ) which is both, lights up all the trail from your elbows to the distance .

the same applies to the helmet lights that can be made
    of course if only 1 led in each light then you have to make the decision and then most go for flood on the bars and spot on the head.

3 Legged Big Top
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by troutie-mtb
    IMHO
    as it is now easy to have a small bar light ( IE Liberator ) which is both, lights up all the trail from your elbows to the distance .

Those ready to go yet?

Woohooo! Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Curtis C
    Also, for me the results were the same whether helmet or bar mounted. I would also be willing to meet up with you and let you try them both.

C
    Thanks Curtis. I decided to go ahead and try the floods. I hope to be ready to ride at night sometime in mid January. Let's hook up for another night ride--that was a good time last week!

Thanks to everyone else for the advice!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Curtis C
    Those ready to go yet?
    Hiya Curtis
    The Blue liberator is done and waiting the INRINS have been machined and are waiting for the anodizers to reopen after the new year

and the 6 xpe I have stolen the leds out of it but will replace them if you still need them .

Members who have read this thread: 0