Specialized Shoes- Mtbr.com
    The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009

New question here. Specialized Shoes

How much difference is there between the lower and mid level shoes (not the S-Works or Pro)?

For example: The Expert and Sport look about the same, and the Comp looks like a Sport with a buckle instead of a third strap.

Are there major differences in fit/quality/stiffness etc?

mtbr member
    the sport and comp shoe use a plastic sole, the comp adding a buckle. the expert, pro and s-works all use a carbon sole. the expert is lighter (and simpler) than the pro because it uses straps and not a buckle but is less expensive.

mtbr member
    the sport and comp shoe use a plastic sole, the comp adding a buckle. the expert, pro and s-works all use a carbon sole. the expert is lighter (and simpler) than the pro because it uses straps and not a buckle but is less expensive.

i have owned all except the sport and s-works and the carbon sole is a HUGE difference in performance. try both a buckle shoe and a strap shoe to get an idea of which fits better and make your choice.

i hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    my 2 cents:

If you can get a good fit with the 3 velcro strap Expert shoes, it's a great deal. I usually get 2 years MAX out of a pair of MTB shoes, so I can't really justify the price jump up to the Pro or S-Works. Maybe for a road shoe, where you can ride them for years, the Boa closure would be worth it, but the price difference is somewhere near $200...

Overall, I've had good luck with Specialized shoes; I've had 2 pairs of their MTB shoes, and am going to by my 3rd pair next spring. They fit my fat american feet, and hold up reasonably well to off-road abuse.

I just wouldn't spend the cash on the SWorks shoe for off-road.

Bike Addiction
    +1 on the Comp. Had mine over a year. Reasonably priced and seems to be holding up to the abuse, mud, water, sweat and crashes. They hike you out Ok too. Had to walk a few miles back to car. Have not tried any others to compare though. Have'nt had to yet
    Disclaimer: Always get a second opinion cause I'm just guessing

dying hurts.
    haha..whenever i read this thread title, i immediately thought..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szszVVIxFA0

Members who have read this thread: 0