Specialized Rime Elite shoe pain?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Specialized Rime Elite shoe pain?

I picked up a pair of these shoes from my lbs after putting many years on my tahoes and was looking for something with a stiffer sole. They felt fantastic in the shop but after wearing them around the house for a bit to break them in I noticed a some pain on the top of my right foot caused by the top Velcro strap placement.
    Has anyone else had similar problems with a Velcro only style performance shoe?
    Other than that, they feel like a great fit.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    That part of my foot starts to ache after riding about an hour. I just loosen the strap a little and it helps. Shoe is a little narrow right there. Other than that good shoe

mtbr member
    I would think a little more cusion in the tounge under the top strap would make for huge gains in comfort with minimal gains in weight.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Have you ridden in them yet? They'll break in.

mtbr member
    I know it's not the same, but I tried wearing them around the house for about an entire day hoping that they would break in a little bit. Unfortunately the pain stayed very Persistent the whole time.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    You are not alone. I suspect most riders experience a break in period with new Bike shoes. Just today I bought new (old stock) 2013 S-Works shoes, and I rode then from the shop. It was the last leg of a 39 mile ride, so I only rode in the new pair for like 10 miles. Some pain, but not too bad. I find loose shoes even worse. If their a little tight, they will break in. As you mentioned, it's good to try to gradually break them in before taking them on a really long ride. Wearing them around the house will not do much, you need to ride in them. Good luck!

mtbr member
    They are pretty damn narrow. I have narrow feet and they're still just barely comfortable for me.

Since you tried wearing them a full day and got no relief, I would suggest bringing them back (Specialized is good about that) and if they don't have a wide-specific shoe you'll have to go with a brand that does such as Sidi or Lake.

mtbr member
    I swapped out for a new pair of shoes(same kind) the other day and what do you know, foot pain, gone! The new pair feel much better. I'm pretty sure the stitching was off slightly causing the strap to sit a mm or two higher up on the right foot, which was just enough to irritate the tendon on the top of the foot. I believe my feet are more on the narrow side and these shoes seem to be a great fit. After one ride they seem a little stiff of course, but very comfortable and feel like a good solid platform for pedaling.