• 05-04-2006
    scapin
    1 Attachment(s)
    Specialized Pro Carbon Shoes
    Have someone tried them? What about the carbon sole? Any problem with EggBeater cleats?
  • 05-04-2006
    ecox
    I've got the 2006 non-carbon sole version (I couldn't justify the extra $70 -- I got a great deal -- for the carbon). Very comfy and stiff, carbon will only be more so. Tried 'em with Eggbeaters, and they worked fine. I ended up going with Shimano pedals with a platform on the underside, so I can hop on my bike in any shoes for quick trips to the store, etc.
  • 05-04-2006
    scapin
    Eggbeater wings could damage the carbon sole?
  • 05-04-2006
    bhsavery
    yeah, I have the carbon soled ones and they are a bit worn in from the eggbeaters. I thought crank bro's sold a metal plate for just this purpose though.
  • 05-04-2006
    bhsavery
    by the way where are they in white? Those look pretty snazzy. Only see black on their website.
  • 05-04-2006
    smudge
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bhsavery
    I thought crank bro's sold a metal plate for just this purpose though.

Really? I'll have to give them a call today. I bought a pair of Pro Carbons just a few months ago and I'd like to give them every chance of lasting a long time.

My last pair of shoes have been in continuous use since 1994. Carnac Dunes that just refused to die (well, they tried a few times, but with some patient application of stitching and shoo goo, they were resurrected). They just don't make shoes like that anymore.
  • 05-04-2006
    scapin
    Quote:

yeah, I have the carbon soled ones and they are a bit worn in from the eggbeaters. I thought crank bro's sold a metal plate for just this purpose though.

What about the plastic shim in the EB box?
  • 05-04-2006
    KMan
    I "Want" to buy a pair....but
    I trying to find somewhere that sells them for less than $200. Once I do - I'm buying them. I have the road shoe version and they are great! My team shop sells Shimano and Sidi shoes so I could get those a bit off of list, but I like the way my Specialized carbon road shoes fit that I really want to hold out for these instead of the Shimano & Sidis.

(I have a very hard time paying list price for anything) :)

KMan

Quote:

Originally Posted by scapin
    Have someone tried them? What about the carbon sole? Any problem with EggBeater cleats?

• 05-04-2006
    bhsavery
    thats the problem with specialized... you have to buy list price through their store.
    But i hear ebay and the mtbr classifieds have stuff cheaper sometimes!

Scapin--> What eggbeater plastic shims? Might work if they wouldnt get worn through
  • 05-04-2006
    torment
    I have a pair of Carbon Comps and they are fantastic. However, I do use SPD.
  • 05-04-2006
    smudge
    Quote:

thats the problem with specialized... you have to buy list price through their store.
    But i hear ebay and the mtbr classifieds have stuff cheaper sometimes!

Scapin--> What eggbeater plastic shims? Might work if they wouldnt get worn through

They're roughly the shape of the cleat and I don't imagine they'd get worn through as they shouldn't contact any moving parts. I suspect that they move the cleat far enough away from the sole of the shoe to prevent the retention bars from contacting the carbon. I'll slip em under the cleat and see how it goes.
  • 05-04-2006
    B R H
    I wouldn't bother trying to protect the sole from the pedals. It will only wear until the cleat properly contacts the pedal. If you change your cleats before they are really worn out, the small amount of wear to the sole shouldn't be an issue. You really want your weight to be on the pedal spindle area instead of those bars anyway.
  • 05-05-2006
    CulBaire
    They look good...

I have long been a Specialized shoe user, I run the Comp shoes; they fit really well and are rather stiff although the sole does soften after a few years of use.

I would love to buy a pair, and probably will sometime soon though my LBS. But I too am concerned with the eggbeater use. My pedals have worn nice big groves in my Comp shoes; what will it do to the carbon?
  • 05-05-2006
    AZ-X
    I've been using the BG Comps for years as well. They do tend to get a little softer. After a while I was clearly able to feel my eggbeater rails pushing up through the sole. When I switched to the Candy SL, that seemed to go away a bit because of the platform. These ones look pretty cool and I suspect they''ll have a stiffer sole than the older Comp shoes had. Looks good.
  • 05-05-2006
    SKullman
    I just bought a pair of the Comps, I ordered a new set of Egg Beater cletes cause it seemed wise.

The new Cletes now come with the little plastic spacer thing to protect the shoe. I have huge divets on the soles of my Nike Carins and Sidi Dominators from the years of use. The clete/pedal connection also became very loose.

I can say now with the shim, the connection is tighter, but I have a greater tendancy to clip out in the technical sections.