specialized helmet- Mtbr.com

Jul 2005

specialized helmet

hey any of ya's tried that specialized full face helmet. lookin at gettin one looks pretty sick

Oct 2005
    iv seen it and tried it on and all that. its more of a trail type helmet, i would never feel safe wearing it for actual DH or racing. its basically a xc helmet with a face guard. dose look sic though. and very very light weight....which is why i wouldnt trust it for DH

Meh.
    Eh. Berrecloth rips with a Deviant. I have the Deviant Composite. Just over 1000 grams. Very comfortable, great ventlation. It is not as burly as some helmets, but meets safety standards. And it's definitely burlier than an XC helmet. Besides, I've taken some pretty hard hits with my Giro E2. Helmet are supposed to take one hit, and protect your head. That's exactly what it does. It's great for aggressive riding and light freeride.

Oct 2005
    of course it will offer protection, all helmets have to meet standards, i agree with you there. im just saying i personally wouldnt feel comfertable racing DH in it. would much rather have something a little burlier. espically when it comes to protecting your head, only takes one bad hit and your drooling on yourself forever.

mtbr member
    Great helmet. Buy it. Of course I'm a little biased . But in all honesty this helmet is just as DH qulified as say the Giro Mad Max (or equivalent).
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I think Specialized needs to rethink this product.

For me, the fit on this helmet is terrible. When snugged down if I pull up on the chin-guard I can almost slide the helmet off my head. My Troy lee D2 and the new Giro Remedy barely move when I try the same thing which means they will do a decent job of protecting me in a crash. I wouldn't trust the Deviant to do the same. A friend also tried the Deviant, same result. In my experience the ratchet type system at the back of the head does not work for a full-face helmet, the Switchblade does the same thing. The helmet looks nice and offers good cooling but Specialized needs to go back to the drawing board regarding the retention system.

Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    Eh. Berrecloth rips with a Deviant. I have the Deviant Composite. Just over 1000 grams. Very comfortable, great ventlation. It is not as burly as some helmets, but meets safety standards. And it's definitely burlier than an XC helmet. Besides, I've taken some pretty hard hits with my Giro E2. Helmet are supposed to take one hit, and protect your head. That's exactly what it does. It's great for aggressive riding and light freeride.
    Perfectely said, i also have one and like it. But, i don't race DH nor have i tried any other full face helmets, so I can't say for sure.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    Eh. Berrecloth rips with a Deviant
    I don't like it. Its a glorified XC helmet if you ask me.

Just because Berrecloth rides with one doesn't mean it protects his head well. It just means he is sponsored by Specialized and is paid to ride their product. Gareth Dyer was sponsored by Rotwild, does that mean they make the nicest bikes? No. It just means they paid him a sh!tload to ride their bikes. Point being that you shouldn't base your decisions off of what pros wear.

I would go with 661 or TLD stuff instead if you want the best overall protection.

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by matt

Just because Berrecloth rides with one doesn't mean it protects his head well. It just means he is sponsored by Specialized and is paid to ride their product. Gareth Dyer was sponsored by Rotwild, does that mean they make the nicest bikes? No. It just means they paid him a sh!tload to ride their bikes. Point being that you shouldn't base your decisions off of what pros wear.

I would go with 661 or TLD stuff instead if you want the best overall protection.
    I'm sure he wouldn't ride it if he didn't trust it to protect his head. And he's cased it pretty hard with that on his head, so seeing as how he isn't brain dead, I'd say it does what it's supposed to. I know that pros get paid to use certain products, but they have the option not to. Carter rode rebadged Turners instead of Mongoose bikes. There are plenty of others, I'm sure.

N* Bomber Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by matt

Hell no you got no idea kid.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

May 2004

Cracked

Quote Originally Posted by mountainbikemilitiamen
    hey any of ya's tried that specialized full face helmet. lookin at gettin one looks pretty sick
    My budy cracked the back of his Deviant Carbon.

The helmet basically did it's job, but now it has to be retired. Specialized bikes/equipment are sickness

...but I'd only wear the Deviant for light duty (like it's intended for).

Meh.
    That's what crash replacement is for. Carbon is even less forgiving than fiberglass. It's very brittle. Besides, it's supposed to crack and compress when you case it hard. You're right, the Deviant is for light duty, but I am still confident in it's ability to protect my head.

Some people complain about the fit, for me, the fit was perfect, but it moved around a bit, so I had to use the pads in certain areas to make it a bit snugger. It's totally perfect now.

Members who have read this thread: 0