Specialized Deviant helmet ?s- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Specialized Deviant helmet ?s

How does it breathe ? I love my TLD FF. It has that huge opening up front and breathes real well. However on trails it is overkill & hella hot w/ its lack luster vents.

I like the Deviant idea. Seems like Spesh is almost there w/ a good trail/aggro helmet. Just looking for a review on the breathing aspect.

I think what most makers ignore is that breathing w/ a helmet face guard 3" away is not a good thing. It actually resists breathing by being in such close proximity. These helmets need large unobstructed holes in the face-piece before they will be widely used and accepted on trails. It doesn't seem like it but your body needs the air to pour in. And the more material you put in the general area the harder it is on your body.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

tried

I tried a fiberglass version on. Pretty nice. Kind of heavy though. Anyone try one ?

i just bought one, didn't ride with it yet.. but definitely is lighter and cooler than
    the remedy i tried on. The padding also doesn't sit so far on ur cheeks.. most of it is from your ear/temple area and back. The chinstrap sits a bit too far back for my taste.. it seems to want to hook on my adams apple too often.
    Pretty comfy considering this is my first FF and I usually ride with a Xen.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    If it fits you go for it. This is a step in the right direction for a trail/aggro helmet but the chinstrap location unfluid mentioned and the Roc-Loc type system in the back means this helmet doesn't fit some heads very well. With the chinstrap strangling tight I can pull up on the chin-guard to the point that it turns into a forehead guard and with a little effort could pull the helmet up/back and completely off my head. Not too confidence inspiring. A helmet that moves around that much won't protect your head or face like one that fits correctly. Contrast this with my Troy Lee D2 or a Giro Remedy which fits perfectly right out of the box - snug all around with very little movement in any direction no matter how much pulling/tugging is done with my hands. This is the realistic full-face fit test; strap the helmet on and see how much you can move it around with your hands. If it isn't snug in every direction then you need a different size or a different helmet.

Check it out and let us all know how it works out for you.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I have a Deviant and have had it out for about five rides now. Out of the box the helmet seems to fit a little awkward, as some have mentioned above. The chinstrap seemed to be to far back, and the padding is not located in the same areas, as you would be used to with high-end FF helmets. It simply does not fit the same as I was used to and expected. However, this is not to say it was uncomfortable, just different if that makes any sense. After my first ride it broke in pretty well. After a few more rides it now fits great. Vents very well and breathing obstruction is not an issue. Comparing to a TLD, I ride moto with an TLD SE, is not the best comparison as they are very different helmets even though both are full-face. To me, the deviant is more like a beefed up XC helmet. It fills what I think is the helmet between the aggressive XC helmet, Xen, and the much more aggressive FF, TLD. This is what I was looking for. I personally would not use it for serious DH. I was looking for a helmet I could use that I could hit some of the more aggressive lines on the trails (drops, rocks gardens, etc.) and not have to worry about knocking teeth out on a digger, but get great ventilation. Although I have yet to wear it during the summer months yet, I have had it on for rides of two to three hours and the helmet has been great with regards to comfort and venting. So far so good and I think this is a great helmet.

Meh.
    I have the Deviant composite. My size large is just over 1000g. It breathes very well and vents well too. I like it. The fit is a bit strange at first, tightened down, you can get the mouthpiece to slide about 3 inches upwards. You most likely will have to use the included pads to help with fit.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Sounds like the design isn't done yet. I can't wait to see the re-design and the competition next year.

mtbr member
    I been riding with my Deviant for about 4 months and it makes my rides more enjoyable. Nothing is more frustrating than hoofing it up the mountain and gasping for air though straw holes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I've been going for rides in my switchblade again, Not that it would help in a crash. But psych from seeing te chunguard does help my riding...

I hope spec or better yet TLD comes out w/ a better Deviant type helmet for 07.

W/O much time in one I agree that the strap needs to be moved or something.

Members who have read this thread: 0