Specialized 2FO and my LBS- Mtbr.com
    Finally!

Specialized 2FO and my LBS

So after reading some articles and the fact that there isn't a 5/10 dealer near me I decided to go with a pair of these. My LBS says "yeah we can get those. I can order them in and they will be here in a day. What size?" So I say 10.5 he asks for a $50 deposit and I pay it. Well the shoes come in today and they are a full size to small. He ordered me a 44.5 and after trying on other Specialized shoes it looks like I need a 46. This is when they tell me there might be a restocking fee. I was like ...what? You didn't size my foot and expect me to pay for the fact that these fit super small. He says the size chart has 46 at a 12.5 I have been wearing 10.5 for 30yrs and only a couple brands have I ever needed an 11. The guy is going to discuss with the owner and get back to me. Pretty sure I am going to never shop there again if they ask for a restock fee. Return shipping in most cases is why I almost never buy cloths online. So be aware if you try these shoes that they fit very small. I would not order a pair over the net just based on wacky sizing.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Sorry about your shop experience. I have wide feet or they are getting wider over the years. I tried Sidi Mega and not quite wide enough, Shimano shoes were better, my 5/10's not wide enough, even going up a size. I tried the 2FO at my dealer and they were great even with my high insoles. I am a 10.5 and the 45 were perfect for me. Just FYI.

mtbr member

Specialized 2FO and my LBS

thats bs. good luck

Finally!
    So I just got off the phone with my LBS. He says" he is trying to work something out with the rep" does anyone else have size issues with Specialized shoes fitting small? Again I just don't see why I should get dinged for a shoe misfit or odd size. The LBS owner also stated his Specialized shoes he owns all fit according to the chart. I am just not sure what to do here. I was about to buy a new stem, bars and single chainring from these guys but not if I am paying for this mix up. I will just order my stuff online if I am taking my chances anyway. Needless to say I am very disappointed. I sure hope they call me back and tell me there is no restock fee. I like the employees and advice given to me at this store but unless they do the right thing I will shop elsewhere.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Normally I don't wear Specialized shoes as they are to narrow, thats why I was surprised when the 2FO's fit. I went up 1/2 size to be sure and no not BS, you should ride with some before you slam others.

Finally!
    You are referring to the shoes not being BS right? I didn't slam anything but the store policy being ....well...not cool at all.

mtbr member
    i meant that it bs that theyre trying to charge you for a restocking fee

thats lame

they should have measured your foot before hand and figured out what size would fit YOU and if THEY got that wrong, its on THEM, not you

otherwise, what good are they. you could have ordered them online, yourself

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Got it my ,my misinterpretation, thanks

Finally!
    They also told me that they assumed I had tried a pair on before I ordered. Well let's see here. I ordered a 10.5 and they come in European sizes so the shop chose what size to order and if I tried them on elsewhere would I not have bought them there? Yeah. Like I said I would like them to eat the mistake as their own. It's the right thing to do and not just me being chirpy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    That's crazy. I don't have a 5.10 dealer anywhere near me. So, I ordered three pairs from Amazon in different sizes, free shipping to me and free shipping back for the two I didn't keep. I'm surprised a LBS with the service you describe is still around.

Finally!
    I may do that next. Why spend that little more for face to face service if I am still dinged for shipping. This says to me that the internet should be my LBS and not....well I will leave them nameless until this is resolved.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I wear 9.5 shoe size in f20 it was size 11 my shop told me the sizes were out of wack before I even tried them on

Finally!
    The more I read about these sizing issues the more I think they should never make Specialized brand condoms :-)

Funny how I needed an xtra large RockHopper too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I have had 5.10s not fit. I bought directly from them online, emailed, got a rteurn authorization and mailed it back. No restocking fee. The restocking is complete baloney. Why not email specialized if the shop continues to take this position?

Finally!
    Still waiting to here back.

Finally!
    Well I just read an e-mail from my LBS.
    They ordered a few pair in to ensure I leave the store with my size and apologized for the delay. No charges to me. So all in all I am happy with the way they are handling it. Sure they made a mistake mentioning I might get dinged for a return fee but have ensured my happiness so it's all good.

Finally!
    Well I got my shoes and am very happy. Ordered my Raceface 30 tooth single chain ring from the same LBS.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Thats ironic, I just put a 30 Race Face on my Bronson, and picked up a pair of 2FO clip ins to go with my road/ bike path rides.

Finally!
    Mine are flats. If I like these I may get a second set of clipless and some pedals to match. I plan to race at least one race in the spring and I will want to clip in for it. I can't wait to try the 30 th. I have been sticking to my 32 for my last 5 or 6 rides and it is just slightly to tall so this 30 should be perfect. I hope I won't need a chain guide but I guess I will know soon enough.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I've seen shops have varying policies on special order items, and some flat out will not let you return special order items. But luckily it worked out in your case! The only time I buy shoes without seeing them in person is if they're identical to what I already have, but luckily I haven't seen cycling shoes vary much for me (I only go by Euro sizing, though. American sizing is all over the place all the time, regardless of shoe type IMO).

mtbr member
    I've been wearing Spesh shoes for dirt and road for the past few years. Currently I have a pair of the S-Works Trail and Pro Road shoes. For me they run true to size.

I recently got a pair of Northwave shoes and got them in the same size as the Spesh...fits the same.

Finally!
    Must have more to do with toe cup shape than actual length of shoe. But the net is full of people with the same sizing issue I had.