SPDs to PLATFORMS any suggestions?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

SPDs to PLATFORMS any suggestions?

After many years clipless, spds and Crank Bros. I am going back to platforms. Fell a couple of times when I could not get clipped out. Usually when I am exhausted and the pedal is at the top of the stroke when the foot/knee/leg is at an awkward position.

I ride light all mountain, small jumps, some technicals and x/c.
    I will be going with 5 10 Bravos, I have a set of heavy Kona Platforms. but I want to get a set of lighter platfoms. Any Suggestion?

I thought that I would try out a set of Resin platfoms with molded pins. I thinking that the 5 10s would still grip the resins then I can forget wearing the shin guards. They're inexpensive enough to try it out. Any thoughts here?

Thanks,
    Wayne

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    i have the same problem at the moment. been riding road bikes (trek madone) but recently wanted to try xc/freeride. seems like everybody is saying that a good pair of platforms and shoe combo works just like clipless. been debating myself on this for over a month now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FNG RIDER View Post
    They're inexpensive enough to try it out. Any thoughts here?
    Plastic pedals with plastic pins stink.

They work ok for BMX types who break everything in five minutes anyway, but they're nearly all cheap, disposable parts that have rubbish bearings and very little grip, which becomes no grip at all when wet.

A few brands do plastic pedals with metal screw through pins, they cost more (about the same as a generic set of alloy flats) but seem to be made with lasting more than a few weeks in mind.

On that note, I'm having good luck with a set of HT Nano PA12A plastics at the moment, but only after fitting longer pins (12 vs 10mm) and using skate board grip tape on the areas my feet rest on. Makes a great pedal so far but a lot of hassle.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    are the twenty6 platforms any good?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I have Kona Wah Wah's and 5-10 shoes and love the combination. There are some great lightweight flats made of aluminuim that you can get online. There is an article in Oct issue of MBA about going back to flats.
    Still learning how to keep the rubber side down.

WLB
    Slow but not stopped

Spikes/Links

Just put Spank Spikes on my 575, and got a pair of Teva Links shoes. What a great combination! Love 'em. It's my first pair of platform pedals since I was a kid. I've been riding SPD for......well, I don't remember how long. 10-15 years clipless. Honestly, I never have a problem getting out of the pedals, I've ridden clipless so long it's reflex. I just wanted to try platforms, and try to improve my technique on certain things like bunny hops, etc.

What I found was that the platforms are fun as hell! Really transforms the bike. I have such a good time just playing around. I only have one real trail ride on them so far, but I'm sold. I'm not saying I won't ride clipless too, but I was a platform "poo poo'er" until I decide to give it a try.

Anyway, the Spikes/Links combo is great, you should check'em out.

mtbr member
    @tag
    I ride a road bike also, Wilier Izoard w FSA K flight carbon upgrades, I will take the plunge, why not if you don't like em switch back.
    @wlb thanks I'll check out the spikes and the 575 is one of the bike I'm considering! So many bikes and not so much money!
    @turner
    I saw the MBA article on platforms, now you know where I got the idea for Bravos! That was easy, because I'm such a sucker for the colo red and MBA articles.: )

Thanks for the responses
    Wayne

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fix the Spade View Post
    Plastic pedals with plastic pins stink.

They work ok for BMX types who break everything in five minutes anyway, but they're nearly all cheap, disposable parts that have rubbish bearings and very little grip, which becomes no grip at all when wet.

A few brands do plastic pedals with metal screw through pins, they cost more (about the same as a generic set of alloy flats) but seem to be made with lasting more than a few weeks in mind.

On that note, I'm having good luck with a set of HT Nano PA12A plastics at the moment, but only after fitting longer pins (12 vs 10mm) and using skate board grip tape on the areas my feet rest on. Makes a great pedal so far but a lot of hassle.
    Thanks for the info! I'm not cool with metal spikes, I still have the scars to prove it.
    I will wear shin guards! learned the hard way.

mtbr member
    Ive come up with the
    5 10 Bravos and
    Spinks both available a Jenson's
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SPDs to PLATFORMS any suggestions?-fvt0076-rd.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I believe you could put plastic pins on some Straitlines, but I take it you aren't interested in spending a ton on platforms

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I used to ride with SPD's on my HT. About a year ago I switched to flats. I bought some DMR V8s and some Shimano AM40 shoes. The pedals aren't the thinnest or the lightest but they don the job well.

skaterqwertyuiop
    yet another one of these...
    5.10's and just about any bmx pedal works well. I have no problem gripping my GT nylon thin BMX pedals. The bearings are starting to wear after a few drops, but they were $11. I wear osiris shoes just cause i'm not dropping $100 on shoes i'll only wear for riding.
    It's not about what bike you ride, but how hard you tear it up :)

mtbr member
    DMR V12 Magnesium
    Speedplay Drillium

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Wellgo MG-1's can be had for $45 shipped on the popular bidding site. UPS should be dropping them off to me this week.

I just scored some Vans for $30, so no comment on the 5.10s.

mtbr member
    Does anyone have any experience with Xpedo platform? They are under 400 grams and under $100. The BMX model is 300 grams.