SPD shoes / pedals...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2008

SPD shoes / pedals...

Im am still new to SPD pedals and do not consider my self a pro at them but he is my take...

- unecessary danger for city / commuting through traffic. I just dont see the reason to be clipped in when im not trying to break records (or you know BIKE fast) or climbing a rooted cross country trail.

- on the trail i def. see their advantage

So basically i think i will use reg. shoes for commuting and my spd shoes for the trails... what do you guys think?

Also what pedals would u sugguest to do both. Ive seen the mallots and i love how they have their pins for flat shoes (coming from 5050x pedals) but ive heard the spds have less float feeling which i love, and shimano has some with cages around them but i question the gripy ness while wearing flats. Time also has some but ive heard their quality has gone down....

The only reason is even though my shoes are skate style with spd clips, i still dont see my self walking around in them all day (also wont that ruin the cleat)...
    btw these are the shoes ( http://tripxamerica.com/?p=92 )....

sorry for the long post....
    www.garabaghi.com
    more photos
    www.tripxamerica.com
    Reviews by riders.

Hifi => Ex 9. Thank you warranty.

pedal pusher
    I used SPDs for every type of riding. Once you are a pro at riding with them, they're far from dangerous.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    hmm then i guess my only argument is having to carry another pair of shoes with me to work.

Ill see how the Sixsixone work, and if people even notice....
    www.garabaghi.com
    more photos
    www.tripxamerica.com
    Reviews by riders.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by PimpinD
    hmm then i guess my only argument is having to carry another pair of shoes with me to work.
    can you keep your work shoes at work?
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    rkj - I could....

Im still working out my commute skills.

At work i can wear jeans and sneakers but for class 2x a week i have to be dressed up... which would me 3 pairs of shoes if i wore my spds....
    www.garabaghi.com
    more photos
    www.tripxamerica.com
    Reviews by riders.

MTBR Member
    Quote Originally Posted by f3rg
    I used SPDs for every type of riding. Once you are a pro at riding with them, they're far from dangerous.
    I agree. Also, the mallets may be a little deceiving on how well they grip with regular shoes. I have the mallet 1's and they are good for just going down the street/to the store with regular shoes, but not so great for longer rides. The clip mechanism does stick out quite a bit and does not move out of the way either. I have heard that the shimano clip mechs do move down if you were to have regular shoes, but you would have to dbl check that one.

Yeah and not a good idea to walk around too much with the cleats on. They will wear down faster. The brass CB cleats wear down fast enough as it is.

Life is Good
    I agree. Looking into SPD, or any clipless platform for the first time can be a little daunting and intimidating. Once you get used to them, however, they become second nature. When starting out everyone will have the awkward falls when they can't unclip, but as soon as you get used to them you'll very very rarely have any issues.
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live. ~Mark Twain

pedal pusher
    About a month back, I was riding on top of a trail obstacle: a long tree trunk cut in half, about 15' long and 8" of flat surface area to ride on. The first time I took it, my front tire slid off the right side, and I had about an 18" drop off the side; even higher if you consider a 12" BB height on top of that. Without even thinking about it, my right foot unclipped and I landed on the ground with my foot, the bike still mostly on top of the tree trunk. It wasn't until a minute later that I realized I came unclipped with zero thought. Clipless pedals really aren't as terrible as people make them out to be.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    f3rg - yea i can imagine it becoming like driving manual, you just become use to it. What im debating is if i really need to be wearning clipless on my commute to work and such....
    www.garabaghi.com
    more photos
    www.tripxamerica.com
    Reviews by riders.

pedal pusher
    Shimano needs to make quick-release cleats.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    for the shoe?
    www.garabaghi.com
    more photos
    www.tripxamerica.com
    Reviews by riders.

pedal pusher
    Yeah, of course. There have been plenty of times where I considered riding the 3 miles to work in the morning, but I never do it because I don't want to have to carry extra shoes with me. Imagine just being able to pop the cleats off once you arrive. Same goes for trips to friends houses, etc., where you don't want to swap pedals or carry extra shoes.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    f3rg = thats my delema! do other companies make quick release cleats? did you see the shoes i posted, so far they seem to be the best alternative...
    www.garabaghi.com
    more photos
    www.tripxamerica.com
    Reviews by riders.

Never trust a fart
    Shimano makes 2 different cleats.

Single release mode - SH-51

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...egory_ID=10047

Multi release mode - SH-56

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...egory_ID=10047

mtbr member
    May 2008
    hmm, how do they work exactly? I feel like i would lose them quick.... ha
    www.garabaghi.com
    more photos
    www.tripxamerica.com
    Reviews by riders.

pedal pusher
    frdfandc: we're talking about a different kind of release. As in, releasing from the sole of the shoe, not from the pedal.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    haha, ah i was gonna say, those clips don't look much different. I feel like a quick release clip woudl either:
    a) be very weak and break from the quick release
    b) be very bulky to be strong
    c) be very expensive to be small and strong...
    www.garabaghi.com
    more photos
    www.tripxamerica.com
    Reviews by riders.

Never trust a fart
    sorry, misunderstood.

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by PimpinD
    f3rg - yea i can imagine it becoming like driving manual, ....
    I've tried driving an automatic a couple of times... weeeiiiirrd.

pedal pusher
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime
    I've tried driving an automatic a couple of times... weeeiiiirrd.
    Yeah, I always love slamming my foot down on the floor board when I'm starting the car, and realizing there's no clutch pedal.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Yeah, of course. There have been plenty of times where I considered riding the 3 miles to work in the morning, but I never do it because I don't want to have to carry extra shoes with me. Imagine just being able to pop the cleats off once you arrive. Same goes for trips to friends houses, etc., where you don't want to swap pedals or carry extra shoes.
    So leave a pair of shoes at work.

I have a commuter bike with platforms and rarely use my mtb to get around town. Even then I generally change my shoes when I get to work.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

pedal pusher
    shiggy, I don't actually have a place at work where I could. If I did, I would have started riding to work a long time ago. There's also nowhere safe to lock up a $3,500 bike, and there's no way I'm leaving it outside. Really, I'd have to buy a clunker if I was going to ride to work, and that'd just ruin the experience.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    shiggy, I don't actually have a place at work where I could. If I did, I would have started riding to work a long time ago. There's also nowhere safe to lock up a $3,500 bike, and there's no way I'm leaving it outside. Really, I'd have to buy a clunker if I was going to ride to work, and that'd just ruin the experience.
    Poor excuses. Three miles on a mechanically sound beater can be very nice. You just need to enjoy it for what it is.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

local trails rider
    Three miles sounds perfect for a "mechanically sound beater" (and much too short for a "real bike"). Riding a beater can be quite enjoyable too, as long as you pick a beater that you like, or mod it to suit your tastes.

The singlespeed and vintage forums have some examples of bikes that were resqued from the trash. After a little wrenching and maybe some paint those bikes even look great.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    yea i ride my dirt jumper the 3 miles usually...
    www.garabaghi.com
    more photos
    www.tripxamerica.com
    Reviews by riders.

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    for 3 miles you sure don't need spds. granted i ride about 4 and clip in every time, and yes i do take other shoes with me, but i work in a bike shop and could leave shoes there if i wanted, and i've got a great place to put the bike when i get there. but as mentioned, poor excuses.
    mtbr says you should know: i work in a bike shop.
    bikes & beers (on my blog) http://idontrideenough.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    May 2008
    ha, im doing it today, dress clothing / shoes in bag, and riding to school in bike clothing....
    www.garabaghi.com
    more photos
    www.tripxamerica.com
    Reviews by riders.

pedal pusher
    Eh, I'll consider it in the spring. Maybe I'll go with toe straps and a Craigslist clunker.

Members who have read this thread: 0