spd shoes- Mtbr.com

Thread: spd shoes

Jan 2004

spd shoes

Ok I am looking at buying a pair of spd mtb shoes. Notice some are just straps 2-3 and others have laces with straps. It seems logical having laces with straps would be best, however I have seen a few pairs for $50US on sale which for my very first pair of clipless shoes is about how much I want to spend. Just need something that will hold up on the trails!

Opinions or comments would be great.
    Cheers!
    John

I hate that name.
    Not really sure what you're asking here.

With shoes, it is ideal to go to an LBS to make sure you get some that fit right. Naturally, I didn't, but I got lucky in that my shoes fit perfect.

As far as laces, straps or both, its a personal preference. However, I don't trust laces only to not get caught up in the rings.
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

Jan 2004

Agree, but with laces and the straps...

Quote Originally Posted by blunderbuss
    Not really sure what you're asking here.

With shoes, it is ideal to go to an LBS to make sure you get some that fit right. Naturally, I didn't, but I got lucky in that my shoes fit perfect.

As far as laces, straps or both, its a personal preference. However, I don't trust laces only to not get caught up in the rings.
    go over them it hasn't been an issue in 3 years. Now if they had laces with no strap to hold them down I might be concerned.

I hate that name.
    Quote Originally Posted by fred≥
    Now if they had laces with no strap to hold them down I might be concerned.

Yeah sorry, thats what I meant. My shoes actually have laces under straps.
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

Jan 2004

ok

sorry if i was not clear on what i was asking. basically i wanted to know if shoes with laces that had straps going over them were better then say shoes with just laces or just straps. i just got my clipless pedals and have been using welgo flats with normal running shoes and laces has not really been an issue. just curious if its best to have both laces and straps on a shoe for best fit. i would think the shoe would fit better if both mech. are on it.

I will probably end up going to lbs to buy them. being on a budget and taking size 10 shoe consistantly, i was going to test my luck buying online if i could land a good deal. I can't really find any shoes for under $100 CDN where I have seen some deals on SIX SIX ONE, ANSWER for $40-50US. with shipping and converting that to Canadian, its still a good deal if the shoe fits.

Thanks for the post back.
    John

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by crank
    sorry if i was not clear on what i was asking. basically i wanted to know if shoes with laces that had straps going over them were better then say shoes with just laces or just straps. i just got my clipless pedals and have been using welgo flats with normal running shoes and laces has not really been an issue. just curious if its best to have both laces and straps on a shoe for best fit. i would think the shoe would fit better if both mech. are on it.
    As far as fit is concern, it don't matter. I've worn both type of shoes and haven't notice a difference in the fit. The strap on the lace shoe is really just used to make sure that the laces don't end up in the gears or the chain if they happen to come loose.

Personally, I like just straps. They are just easier to get in and out of. Also, I tend to just throw things into a corner or leave them in my trunk and with laces they tend to get tangled up.

I will probably end up going to lbs to buy them. being on a budget and taking size 10 shoe consistantly, i was going to test my luck buying online if i could land a good deal. I can't really find any shoes for under $100 CDN where I have seen some deals on SIX SIX ONE, ANSWER for $40-50US. with shipping and converting that to Canadian, its still a good deal if the shoe fits.
    OK, fit sould be your biggest concern when looking for bike shoes. You need get a pair shoes that is really snug with just nuff room to wiggle your toes. If the shoes are loose, youíll lose the benefit of having clipless pedals. You'll loose energy as the shoe move around. Now, different manufactures have different fit, so really should head over to your LBS and try on a few pairs.

As for Answers, they make good shoes except for the Palisades. I had a pair and the soles didnít last too long. They got tore up really quick.

Sep 2003
    I have a pair of Specialized Mountain shoe that has only 2 straps and no laces, and that has never been a problem for me.

banned
    Feb 2004

I like straps.

I've had several pairs of shoes. My favorite, of course, are my Sidis, but they cost a pretty penny too. I have Specialized Comp Mountain shoes that run around $100 and they worked pretty well. My only complaint was that the lugs on the sole wore out relatively quickly. I don't like laces because they tend to complicate things. Also, I found that they would get pretty nasty in wet conditions. It's faster and easier, imo, to just deal with velcro straps, which should easily be enough if the shoe itself fits correctly.

Jan 2004

velcro straps

Ok, LOL im 23 and its been awhile since I owned a pair of velcro shoes. 20 yr maybe? Just curious as to how long velcro straps "velcro" will hole up? does it wear fast etc? stop holding? How long do velcro straps mtb shoes last for on avg? Riding say twice a week? Thanks & Cheers!

John

Jan 2004
    Ok, LOL im 23 and its been awhile since I owned a pair of velcro shoes. 20 yr maybe? Just curious as to how long velcro straps "velcro" will hole up? does it wear fast etc? stop holding? How long do velcro straps mtb shoes last for on avg? Riding say twice a week? Thanks & Cheers!

John
    They hold up very well. I ride at least twice a week and I've got over two years on my Answer XC-1.

mtbr member

Laces + 1 strap for me

I used 2-strap shoes that were always uncomfortable. The straps put presssure on the foot bones in just the wrong places. Maybe 3-strap shoes would even out the pressure problem but I found laced shoes at a good price and haven't worried since.

Jan 2004

great

Guess instead of taking a chance and buying online to "try" and cut cost, it would be in my best interest to go down to the lbs and get a pair that fits properly, and that I know will feel good to wear.

Thanks for all the replys however all. Reading just reinforced the the logic of buying this type of product from a local store and not a website. Sure I will be happy for that choice come riding season.

Cheers,
    John