SPD Pedals / Standard Shoes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

SPD Pedals / Standard Shoes

I am looking for a pedal that works well clipped or not clipped. I have an extra mountain bike that I occasionally ride, and occasionally loan to guests who want to ride. I ride clipless, but likely guests will not. Are these pedals from performance bike a good choice?
    Thanks in advance!

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...estore_ID=1977
    “The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.”

--Steven Wright

EDR
    Kcnflman]I am looking for a pedal that works well clipped or not clipped.
    There really is no such thing. I'm not saying you can't use those pedals with shoes, I'm just saying they don't work 'well'. The cleats interfere with the soles of the shoes making them sketchy. You could use them to commute I suppose but for the trails, forget it. Just commit to clipless or flats and stick with it.

Former Bike Wrench
    Stay away from the "one side clipless, one side not" pedals. They suck for both.

The best clipless pedal that I have owned that still is a very capable platform pedal is the Crank Bros Mallet. I used these a lot just to roll down to the market with regular shoes on but they still worked great with clipless shoes. The similar Shimano M545's that I once owned was not as good as you could distinctively feel the clipless mechanism under your shoe.

mtbr member
    I have these forte pedals. They are ok for the money.

They don't clip in very well when shoes are caked with mud. You have to decide to clip in as you push off rather than fumble with clipping in on the fly.

The platform side is just adequate. I can keep some momentum going, but there's not a lot there.

However, I will say that I like using the format. Again, if I'm in a very tight spot, I'll clip out of one pedal in advance. There's enough surface that I can keep some pedal pressure going. It's not the best, but it's better than a straight SPD pedal.

I like clipping in for the climbs and just about anything other than wet roots and rocks. I prefer to be clipped out for these sections.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    pretty much any brand that makes clipless pedals also makes a platform petal, get whichever brand you use now , othrewise you"ll have to change the cleats every time you change bikes

dont get one sided pedals they truly suck

mtbr member
    We have one set of Shimano PD-M324 pedals that my son has been using for 1.5 years and loves. The Performance pedal is a copy of this pedal. You clip in on one side and the cage forms a platform for the other side. It works great for multi use.

We have a set of Shimano PD-M520 that have been in constant use for 2.5 years by me, and I think they work fine too. They have an optional platform/reflector unit that clips into one of the SPD clips, making one side platform and the other remains SPD. The advantage of these is the platform can be added whenever you want to have a platform, and then removed they are a two-sided SPD pedal.

All that being said, a set of specific SPD pedals and a set of platform pedals works much better as previously stated, as long as you're willing to change out the two sets as necessary.

Members who have read this thread: 0