Some Northstar Helmet Cam's- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Some Northstar Helmet Cam's

Some Vista side action
    <object width='500' height='333'><param name='allowFullScreen' value='true' /><param name='allowScriptAccess' value='always' /><param name='movie' value='http://www.pinkbike.com/v/87830/l/' /><embed src='http://www.pinkbike.com/v/87830/l/' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' width='500' height='333' allowFullScreen='true' allowScriptAccess='always'></embed></object>
    And then these two which I posted in the Northstar thread a while back.
    <object width='500' height='333'><param name='allowFullScreen' value='true' /><param name='allowScriptAccess' value='always' /><param name='movie' value='http://www.pinkbike.com/v/84654/l/' /><embed src='http://www.pinkbike.com/v/84654/l/' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' width='500' height='333' allowFullScreen='true' allowScriptAccess='always'></embed></object>

<object width='500' height='333'><param name='allowFullScreen' value='true' /><param name='allowScriptAccess' value='always' /><param name='movie' value='http://www.pinkbike.com/v/84689/l/' /><embed src='http://www.pinkbike.com/v/84689/l/' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' width='500' height='333' allowFullScreen='true' allowScriptAccess='always'></embed></object>

Extra Crispy
    lol @ the second video and the remix if Eddie Grant's "Electric Avenue."

Nice vids... some of the rock stuff in the second one was sick.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    its amazing how much the videos "flatten" the terrain. Vietnam looked smooth haha and upper Karpiel looked flat. But still sick riding man

mtbr member
    Great quality vids! I still haven't been up this year and my cummies have been up lotz!
    But even a lousy downhill run is better than a day in the office!
    "SunnyRaceGirl"

www.specialized.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dementedfatty
    its amazing how much the videos "flatten" the terrain. Vietnam looked smooth haha and upper Karpiel looked flat. But still sick riding man
    agreed. betcha if the camera was on the bike it would make the vid to hard to watch
    But even a lousy downhill run is better than a day in the office!
    "SunnyRaceGirl"

www.specialized.com

Capricious youth...
    Novato, I'm going to be all up in your videos stealing your lines.

I hope you don't race up there. If you do, I hope that if you do you're not in my age group. If you do race, and you're my age, I hope that you're racing a different class.

And d*mn you for getting through that crevice on Boonies.
    Meh.

Jul 2009
    hi novato kid!

i am not really a dh rider, but i was so impressed with the video quality that i registered to ask you about them. they ARE very nice by the way..

i was wondering about how or why the helmet appears to be stuck in position on the side of the video frame. is that a video editing application on your computer or some formatting that is done on pinkbike?

please let me know. you can pm me the details if you like.

thanks so much,

b.g.88

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    bikergirl the helmet on the side of the vid hasnt been edited in.
    the camera itself has been stuck onto the side of the helmet

mtbr member
    Yep, it's what Mali said. The camera is just mounted to the side of the helmet and because it is a wide angle lense, the camera picks up the helmet too.

Jul 2009
    hmm .. well, i checked a vid that friend and i did. and the side of the helmet is not visible like it is in yours.

maybe you could take a pic of how your camera is mounted on your helmet? and what type of camera is it? any special video editing application? i've heard of software that kinda normalizes the video in the center so you don't get that whole chatter affect. your vids seem very stable.

maybe it's the affect of having something stationary in the video that gives it a more stable look.

Glad to Be Alive
    frick....now I want to go there instead of mammoth in 3 weeks
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Wanna ride bikes?
    Like Navato said, its a wide angle lense, it "sees" more than other lenses, and catches the side of the helmet

Capricious youth...
    Quote Originally Posted by bikergirl88
    hmm .. well, i checked a vid that friend and i did. and the side of the helmet is not visible like it is in yours.

maybe you could take a pic of how your camera is mounted on your helmet? and what type of camera is it? any special video editing application? i've heard of software that kinda normalizes the video in the center so you don't get that whole chatter affect. your vids seem very stable.

maybe it's the affect of having something stationary in the video that gives it a more stable look.
    My guess is that your friend might be using something like the older style VholdR or something that attaches with a cable to a digital camcorder. Those typically only have 90-110 degrees of visibility.

The new VholdR ContourHD has 135 (or is it 140?).

The GoPro wide angle has 170.

You can see why you may not have seen your buddy's helmet in his videos if you take into account those figures.
    Meh.

maker of trail
    sweet vids...

ebnash
    Like already said, it's a wide angle lense. The video appears to be more stable because of the increased field of view due to the wide lense. If the were a narrower view, it would appear very unstable. Probably the case with your friends camera...

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    great music, killer videos!!!!!!!!
    Enjoy every ride!

mtbr member
    Gypsy
    <object width='500' height='333'><param name='allowFullScreen' value='true' /><param name='allowScriptAccess' value='always' /><param name='movie' value='http://www.pinkbike.com/v/98129/l/' /><embed src='http://www.pinkbike.com/v/98129/l/' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' width='500' height='333' allowFullScreen='true' allowScriptAccess='always'></embed></object>

Nov 2007
    Great vids man. After seeing these it makes me want to take a trip out there before season end so, me and a few buddies are coming up Columbus day weekend. Any advice, suggestions or comments?

Mountain Lion Bait
    At 3:02 on your first vid, your cam just does not do that rock drop justice. I've walked it, but never sacked up to do it. Nice job on making it look so easy.

EastBaySteez
    I just watched your Boondocks vid. Man little dude, you are SMOOOOOOTH.
    Gamut
    Team Evil
    Formerly: motormonkeyr6

FReak
    What bike are you riding in these videos OP?
    2010 Specialized Demo 8 II (Upgraded to II from I)
    2008 Specialized Enduro SL Expert

When in doubt, go faster
    sssssssiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick dude!

mtbr member
    Motormonkey, I am not really a kid anymore. I am actually leaving for college in a few days. lol
    Render, that rock roll is really really easy, just lean way back and stay off your front brake and you'll go right down it.
    BWV, I'd say go in October, there will be a better chance of tacky dirt, but there could be quite a crowd depending on what weekend you are there. I think the 3rd and 4th are the livewire weekend and closing weekend is collegiate nationals.
    Oh, I ride a v10.
    Hope that answered everything.

mtbr member
    what is that song on the boondocks trail.
    sick videos!
    im headed up to northstar on my new turner at the end of the month, these videos stoked!
    Quote Originally Posted by _dw
    To be blunt;

6) The Earth would begin to collapse into a black hole and it would make people sad.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EDizzleVR6
    what is that song on the boondocks trail.
    sick videos!
    im headed up to northstar on my new turner at the end of the month, these videos stoked!
    Ziggy Marley- Electric Avenue

Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by novato kid
    Motormonkey, I am not really a kid anymore. I am actually leaving for college in a few days. lol
    Render, that rock roll is really really easy, just lean way back and stay off your front brake and you'll go right down it.
    BWV, I'd say go in October, there will be a better chance of tacky dirt, but there could be quite a crowd depending on what weekend you are there. I think the 3rd and 4th are the livewire weekend and closing weekend is collegiate nationals.
    Oh, I ride a v10.
    Hope that answered everything.
    We are going in October. Columbus day weekend is the 10th, 11th and 12th. We'll be there the weekend before Collegiate Nats.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BWVDubya
    We are going in October. Columbus day weekend is the 10th, 11th and 12th. We'll be there the weekend before Collegiate Nats.
    The Race for Tara will be going on that weekend. You should race, it's for a good cause.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Nice videos, what camera did you use?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wags
    Nice videos, what camera did you use?
    Gopro wide

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by novato kid
    The Race for Tara will be going on that weekend. You should race, it's for a good cause.
    navato, Do you have any details on that race? Course, regristration etc?

Edit: Google works great got all the info i needed
    "Ride Life Ride Giant"

-> SickLines.com <-
    Nice video. Did you update to the latest firmware on your GoPro? Makes it look even better.

The race for tara for anyone else curious is

http://racefortara.com/thisyearsrace.htm

N* Bomber Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettym1k3
    Novato, I'm going to be all up in your videos stealing your lines.

I hope you don't race up there. If you do, I hope that if you do you're not in my age group. If you do race, and you're my age, I hope that you're racing a different class.

And d*mn you for getting through that crevice on Boonies.
    Hope you got a lot of balls cause I've followed NovatoKid a few times...and uh...yeah you better be quick.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

mtbr member
    Thumbs up on the third vid! Wide open...
    This won't hurt a bit...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb_biker
    Nice video. Did you update to the latest firmware on your GoPro? Makes it look even better.

The race for tara for anyone else curious is

http://racefortara.com/thisyearsrace.htm
    I didn't know about that firmware update. Thanks man. I'll see how the quality improves and report back.

Members who have read this thread: 0