Solved My Lace Issue with FiveTens- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2017

Solved My Lace Issue with FiveTens

I love my Five Tens. Great grip, solid toe box reinforcement and reasonably comfy for long rides. Don't love the skater look but really don't care that much.

I hate the laces. They were too long and for some reason FiveTen doesn't offer a lace management feature on their MTB shoes.

I always used to tie my laces using the lace lock method and would tuck them into my shoes to keep them from wrapping around my crank while pedaling. I'd been riding like that for a long time with no issues until a couple rides ago when they came untucked and got wrapped around my crank on a technical section resulting in one of those teeth clenching, butt puckering oh $hit moments.

Anyway... I found a solution I'm pretty happy with. They're called Lock Laces and they're only 8 bucks on Amazon. I've used speed laces for triathalons in the past but for some reason never considered these for MTB. Just thought I'd share in case this helps anyone else.

Last edited by platinumphoenix; 09-20-2017 at 08:14 AM.

9 lives
    ^Thanks for the tip. I'm getting close to replacing my old freeriders and checking out the new ones. I am impressed that the new Freerider Pro model is so lightweight. Alas, it's surprising how little FiveTen's shoes have progressed over the last 10+ years. They still haven't added a lace tucker. If they didn't have hands down the best rubber they wouldn't have a competitive product.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    ... it's surprising how little FiveTen's shoes have progressed over the last 10+ years. They still haven't added a lace tucker. If they didn't have hands down the best rubber they wouldn't have a competitive product.
    I agree. I'm glad Addidas bought the company so we can hopefully start seeing more options for Stealth rubber. Seriously considering Terrex Cross Trail SL for next season.

Ride More - Suffer Less
    Couldn't agree more. I usually use the Salomon lace kit for under $10. Fast, easy, dependable.

Specialized (2FO) puts a I little elastic pull tab on the tongue, goes a long way with tucking laces.

Mudhorse
    ^Thanks for the tip. I'm getting close to replacing my old freeriders and checking out the new ones. I am impressed that the new Freerider Pro model is so lightweight. Alas, it's surprising how little FiveTen's shoes have progressed over the last 10+ years. They still haven't added a lace tucker. If they didn't have hands down the best rubber they wouldn't have a competitive product.
    The Freerider Pro has an elasticated lace tucker halfway down the tongue, and also comes with laces that are exactly the right length, unlike all the previous 5.10s I've owned that have had laces so long that it's possible to crank several revolutions before realising they're wrapped around the chainring.

The only thing I don't like about the Pro is that the fitment is still a tad on the wide side, and my feet are a tad on the narrow side. I've had Shimano and Specialized shoes that fit me like a glove (albeit a glove for feet), though it seems the other manufacturers are catching up with the demand for platform-pedal-friendly shoes so I may defect to another brand at some point in the future. For now though, the 5.10 Pros are still the best platform shoes I've used to date.
    Hose me down till the water runs clear.

mtbr member
    Nice! I picked up a pair of Freeriders and was wondering why they have such long laces for cycling shoes. I'll have to grab a set of those laces. My original ones are already chewed up from getting caught in the front chain ring.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    "To be the man you gotta beat the man”

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Only the Impact VXi has a lace holder (at least I hope thats why it was made like that, rather than drunkenness). The little elastic loop used for holding the tongue in place is way oversized and twisted to make it easy to pull up and tuck the laces. It doesnt work very well because its too low and the laces arent overly long like on the Freeriders so most people wont be able to use it, so it just looks like your shoe has a manufacturing defect.

The only explanation I can think of for making such a crappy solution was to get around a patent since that would eat into their insane profit margins.

Mudhorse
    The Freerider Pros have a lace tucker too, though my old Freerider Contacts and Freerider Elements don't - with these I have to tuck the laces through one of the lacings lower down, which frankly is a bit of a pain.

Here's my Pros after the traditional Christening ceremony:

Solved My Lace Issue with FiveTens-5.10-christening.jpg

I can report that the thick, spongy tongues soak up a lot of blood, and happily they recover well after being hosed down.
    Hose me down till the water runs clear.

SamIAm
    my impact hi tops are the same way. its weird.
    <(*-*<) Go Ride (>*-*)>

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Don't get the fascination with lace holder gadgets. Just tuck it under a lower down lace and job done

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MozFat View Post
    Don't get the fascination with lace holder gadgets. Just tuck it under a lower down lace and job done
    Or buy shorter laces?
    Ripley LS v3
    OG Ripley v2 handed down to son

9 lives
    I bought the Freerider pros and test rode them today ... they pass the lace test

Thanks everyone for your reviews . What sold me (besides being so lightweight) is the shorter laces and that elastic loop ! The shoe's material is synthetic which is important to me. All that and of course the colour combo for the women's shoes is groovy

Solved My Lace Issue with FiveTens-22007813_1990127631231678_5276453493498327471_n.jpg
    Last edited by cyclelicious; 09-25-2017 at 03:51 AM.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I bought the Freerider pros and test rode them today ... they pass the lace test

Thanks everyone for your reviews . What sold me (besides being so lightweight) is the shorter laces and that elastic loop ! The shoe's material is synthetic which is important to me. All that and of course the colour combo for the women's shoes is groovy
    They look good!

Pros are on my short list to consider when I wear my current shoes out.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by MozFat View Post
    I used to think that way. Seems simple but if you ever have shoes that have them you'll get it. Much easier and less chance of them coming untucked.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Or buy shorter laces?
    That's what I did. Simple solution to a simple problem. The speed laces are nice, I don't worry about proximity to the chain ring anymore when I'm riding.

mtbr member
    For eight bucks I'll give the Lock Laces a shot. My bigger issue with the freeriders is that I can never get the tongue to stay straight under the laces - several pairs/seasons and thousands of miles later, the tongue is almost always down on one of the sides.
    Trail: Scalpel-Si / Sherpa / Farley EX
    Gravity: Nomad / Wilson
    Road: Stigmata / Slate

My MTB Videos

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    I like your idea of wearing Lock Laces to secure your shoe lace. I have found this - Cycling Shoes Look Sole suit me the most and help me to avoid being destructed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by platinumphoenix View Post
    I love my Five Tens. Great grip, solid toe box reinforcement and reasonably comfy for long rides. Don't love the skater look but really don't care that much.

I hate the laces. They were too long and for some reason FiveTen doesn't offer a lace management feature on their MTB shoes.
    Exactly my experience. I took your advice, bought some Lock Laces off Amazon. They're excellent. Great advice, and thank you.