Soft flat pedal shoe? Five Ten Aescent replacement?- Mtbr.com
    fight the system

Soft flat pedal shoe? Five Ten Aescent replacement?

I really like my Five Ten Aescent shoes but they are completely blown out and unfortunately I missed the memo when they were discontinued a year ago. I bought some Freeride Pro shoes to replace them but dont like how stiff the soles are and have no feedback where my pedal is. Anyone have an suggestions on what would be the softest riding shoe available right now? Or alternately, anyone have a pair of Aescent size 9.5 they want to sell me? I've looked everywhere on the internet for a closeout but came up empty.
    If you believe that I've got some magic beans to sell ya.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    By no means an authority, but looking around at flat shoes, it seems the main difference between Five Ten Freerider and Freerider Pro is stiffness. They say the Freerider lacks the stiff insole of the Pro and Contact. Might be worth a look.

Moderator Moderator

mtbr member
    If you like Vibram soles, the Bontrager Flatline shoes are a great choice. My 9.5's fit my 9.5 foot perfectly as well. Quite happy with them and Chester peds.

mtbr member
    I find Shimano flat pedal shoes work well for me, fit and performance wise. My most recent pair are GR7s. The stiffness of the sole is such that I can feel the pedal pretty well but it still distributes the load on my foot. The Vibram soles are not as sticky as Stealth rubber but are more durable and allow easier repositioning of the foot on the pedal. I had 5-10 Kestrels as I was switching between flat and clips. The rubber was ludicrously tacky but the soles were too stiff and rubber didn't wear well.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The 5-10 Spitfires are probably the softest soled shoes out there. The FR Contacts are slightly stiffer but have stickier rubber. There seems to be a lot of the original FreeRider out there and they are somewhere between the Spitfire and Contact. The original black and blue Danny McAskills are some of the most comfortable, best protection, pedal sticking shoes out there ..heavy though. I have not tried the new Danny's though.

fight the system
    Thanks for info! I was able to try on a pair of Freeriders at REI and drop cash on the spot. They are softer than my Freerider Pro's and give me way better pedal sensation. My first ride in them was a 24 hour solo race and I was infinitely happier in these kicks!
    If you believe that I've got some magic beans to sell ya.