Snow packed shoes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Snow packed shoes

Will grinding out a larger area around the cleat make it be easier or harder to keep the snow from packing up? Would it wake it easier to unpack the snow with it ground out? I ground the tread off the front to keep shoe covers on better. They now lay flat on the shoe. Or is their something to put on the shoe to help it come off. Heard Pam works ????
    Thank you

Crunchatize me Capn'
    I've personally not found this to be the case. Most of the snow buildup I get is because of the downward force I apply when walking. Doesn't seem to make to much of a difference. Usually a couple of whacks against the side of the pedal is enough to loosen whatever built up, enough so that I can clip in again. I use Shimano 520's. I know the Pam trick works for mud but I don't think it will work for snow because of the much lower temps. Never tried it though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Try silicon spray. Used it for years to keep snow from building up on cross-country skis, and still use it on the snow shovel for the same reason. However, it does wear off, and needs to be re-applied periodically, probably depending on how much you are walking. The snow may still pack in around your cleat a bit, but it should come out easily.

tl1
    Bicyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by RickC5
    Try silicon spray. Used it for years to keep snow from building up on cross-country skis, and still use it on the snow shovel for the same reason. However, it does wear off, and needs to be re-applied periodically, probably depending on how much you are walking. The snow may still pack in around your cleat a bit, but it should come out easily.
    Don't try walking on wet wood if you get any silicone spray on your shoe soles. I know from experience.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I just use bike grease on the pedal, and silicone seal aroung the cleat.

A Real Winner.
    Use Crank Brothers Eggbeaters in the winter. I've had no problems with snow with them, even when my shoes pack up with snow. The Eggs seem to slice right through the snow and clip right in every time!
    www.cycletofitness.com It's only a super-awesome website for a super-awesome store. Just click it. I dare you.

Members who have read this thread: 0