Snow Board Helmet?????- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Snow Board Helmet?????

So I am forced to wear a FF helmet when I am ridding any type of dirt trails due to extensive head injury several years ago. As of recently, I've only been using my Limar roadie helmet because I do not like the specialized helmet I purchased almost 2 years ago(which I have only ridden once).

I've been looking around for something more suitable. I came across these snow board helmets at On One:
    http://www.on-one-shop.co.uk/?p=618

Has anyone used this style of helmet on the dirt? I ride XC only and don't venture out of my comfort zone very often. However due to my head injuries I need the most protection possible.
    I want something cooler so I don't have to bake my head every time I go out in the summer. Also I will be going on a big bike trip this fall and will need more protection than my roadie lid can offer.(dont want to push the safety line when riding unfamiliar trails in the middle of nowhere.)

Any thoughts? Input?
    Pain is weakness leaving the body

mtbr member
    I wear a snowboard helmet in the winter. Its pretty well ventillated and has a slider to reduce vents when cold. Theres no snow helmet as well ventillated as a good cycling helmet as far as I've seen. Some rollerblade helmets seem close though.

Apr 2008
    It's your head....protect it with the very best. What about a hockey helmet?

Nat
    mtbr member

mtbr member
    snowboard helmet is strong but most models trap heat pretty bad
    definately look at the heat/ventilation factor deeply
    Lean back, Hit both brakes, And ask yourself, Do you feel lucky today?

mtbr member
    I just thought I could find a snowboard lid with comparable protection but lighter and cooler than a FF.

Rolling
    I was told I had an extensive head injury but feel fine.

If you can post on a forum, you are fine too.

Your momma is being too protective.

Listen to your momma or your cool friends on the web...

Hardtail Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by omega301
    It's your head....protect it with the very best. What about a hockey helmet?
    I play hockey and the helmets trap heat extremely well. Plus it would look so much more ridiculous than wearing snowboard or moto helmet.

squish is good
    What kind of FF are you using? Troy Lee has the D2 which offers greater coverage than even those snowboard helmets without the face protection, I've heard they're still friggen hot though.

And then theres the Spesh Deviant, not as sturdy as most full faces but if your just looking for broader coverage and your not hucking anything it'll work better than a XC helmet. I have one and occasionally take it on AM rides that involve some intermediate climbing. It's much cooler than any other FF I've used.

I use a ski helmet for cold days but I wouldn't want to wear it in any conditions warmer than forty degrees or so (I've been out on sub zero days and still sweat with that thing on).
    Bike good, work bad.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Clutchman83
    And then theres the Spesh Deviant, not as sturdy as most full faces but if your just looking for broader coverage and your not hucking anything it'll work better than a XC helmet. I have one and occasionally take it on AM rides that involve some intermediate climbing. It's much cooler than any other FF I've used.

I'm liking this Deviant. I might have to get one.

Edit: Specialized's website shows "out of stock" for all sizes/colors except for Med/Skull. Booooo!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Take a look at the MET Parachute. You might have to order from the U.K. , but it looks like a good mix between FF and standard bike helmet.

http://www.mtbbritain.co.uk/met_para...et_review.html

blet drive
    the met looks very nice
    Save a tree & wipe your butt with an owl.
    Thank your local Sierra Club.

Now with 20% more fat!!
    Snowboarding helmets are awesome for cold winter rides. I use mine in Colorado during the Winter and it works out great. It is WAY hotter since there aren't as many vents. So my head is drenched (even in the Winter) after a ride. By Spring it is already too hot to use.

Just as a side note, almost none of the regular bike helmets (that I'm aware of) are DOT certified. You couldn't ride with them on a motorcycle, etc. The MET and the other foreign full-face helmets are basically regular cheap bike XC lids with a bar across the face - the manufacturers can't legally sell them in the states from what I gather. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they suck, just won't protect your head much more than a regular bike helmet. I've heard from people that use them that they do keep your face more protected than regular bike helmets, but your doctor seems to think your brain is the important part to pad... lol If I were in your situation, I'd go with the Deviant (or other full-face helmet that fits right - 661, TLD, Spec all make them)... it's gonna be heavier and hotter than a normal XC bike lid, but protect your brain a lot more.

mtbr member
    I have a Deviant, but I don't like the way it fits. Maybe I'll just try a smaller size and see if that makes a difference. Seems the snowboard idea is out the window so once again the deviant may be my only choice.

For some reason I don't remember seeing the Troy Lee D2, I'll have to do some research on that one.

mtbr member
    This is what I wear. I've shattered two others and would have died without them, and walked away from both crashes. I swear by the Bell Bellistic.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Your fear of looking stupid is holding you back.

tom
    Dec 2007
    http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/product/5825.html

could try somthing like that ?? ^^^

it looks cool and well protected

plus mbuk (magazine) gave it 9/10 on performance

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Helmets are like any kind of cycling shoes or ski boots etc. Not all fit all heads. I liked a certain helmet, and it didnt fit in some places. I have the Specialized Deviant. Fits me, is lighter than an all out dh helmet, and is cool enough for most riding. I use it for mountain cross. Recently it took a bit hit in a crash and it did well. Contrary to some beliefs, the built in flex is for absorbing hard impacts. Again, snowboard helmets are way too warm- I use mine only in winter.

Members who have read this thread: 0