Snow/bike helmet recommendations- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2008

Snow/bike helmet recommendations

I plan to snowboard a couple times a year and should probably get a snow sports helmet. Ideally it would have a removable ear flaps / head liner. I'm thinking I could double it up as a bike helmet when I commute in the winter (instead of using my bike helmet plus a balaclava). I have a large dome so need something around 61cm. Any recommendations?

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Wouldn't try to get a helemt to do both. You'll end up with an uncomfortable and hot as hell bucket.
    Keep an Eye on steep and cheap or back country for a Smith Vantage snow helmet and find the best fitting bike helmet. I have a bell super 2 and wouldn't recommend it it is way to hot.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyIvan View Post
    Wouldn't try to get a helemt to do both. You'll end up with an uncomfortable and hot as hell bucket.
    Keep an Eye on steep and cheap or back country for a Smith Vantage snow helmet and find the best fitting bike helmet. I have a bell super 2 and wouldn't recommend it it is way to hot.
    I've been rocking a Giro snowboard/ski helmet on the bike for years now (maybe 4?). Although the one I have is no longer listed, its very similar to their "Nine". When your riding in sub zero temps, the added warmth of a snow helmet is a huge plus for cold rides.

One suggestion is make sure there are some type of vent holes if you plan to do any night riding. A lot of snowboard helmets are sealed so you cant use standard velcro light mounts. When its somewhat warmer (low to mid 30's) I will wear just the helmet without a skull cap. When its below freezing, I'll pair it with a cycling skull cap.

One thing you may want to consider is picking up a pair of ski googles too. When its really cold, it makes a world of difference because you'll have a warm pocket of air over your eyes. On one of my -10*F or so rides, I was wearing a pair of standard glasses and toward the end of the ride, my eyesight started to go foggy. When I got home, it took 10-15 minutes for my eyesight to return to normal. It freaked me out, so I bought a cheap pair of clear ones from Sports Authority. The other benefit is, standard glasses don't fit quite right with snowboard helmets, so you end up getting some pretty big pressure from the arms above your ears.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've used a snow helmet for commuting for several years now, usually for below freezing when vents aren't needed. Mine has a removable molded foam liner that blocks the vents, so for longer rides when you overheat you could always open up the vents.

Give'er!
    I cheat; I use my bell super for skiing and biking, lol. I just wear a toque under it when it's cold!