Smith Forefront vs Scott Stego- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2016

Smith Forefront vs Scott Stego

Hi! Im getting stocked to enter into the mountain bike sport! Ive being searching for helmets, I would like a secure and hopefully good looking helmet. I have come around for this two, both with MIPS (wich Ive read is important nowdays).

Smith Forefront MIPS 150 USD
    Scott Stego MIPS 160 USD

Wish one do you recomend? If not, any other option?

Thanks!!

mtbr member
    most helmets will offer good protection, it's important that the helmet actually fits your head! most important if fit before anything else!

I recommend going to a REI or lbs and try as many as you can to figure out which helmets fit you better!

I have a forefront and have no issues, and it fits me perfectly, also ski with smith helmets to they are a good fit for me!

giro also have some good helmets with mips that you might find cheaper than these, and might even fit you better!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I have Stego already for 2 seasons, and I must say that while it does have some minor drawbacks (i.e. padding might be a bit better), it absolutely works for me (ventilation, comfort, etc.). Fortunately I did not "test" it (touch wood..) neither would like to, so can not claim any protection abilities.

However, as mfa said - try as many helmets as you can, fit is the one of mpost important factors. In case of MIPS; here is a list of all MIPS helmets (not all may be available in your country):
    MIPS | Helmet Gallery (choose Bike in the selection)

mtbr member
    I bought the Scott Stego because it was the best fitting one in the shop, and they had a fairly massive helmet inventory. I like it a lot and really like the MIPS system but without trying one on that info isn't worth much to anyone else. Blind tests are best IMO, avoid mirrors.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Fit is #1 for helmets. Troy Lee A1, Poc Trabec Race MIPS, Bell Super 2r are some alternates. I have a Forefront, Poc, and Super 2r. Forefront fits well and vents pretty well in the summer.

I agree with JB Weld do the fit test, blind. Try as many as you can so it fits. I have a friend who was in an accident recently and someone found him on the road with helmet on sideways on the ground. Head it the road, because helmet was on right. 2 surgeries and a lot of pain later he's at least alive. After that, how important the helmet look is don't important to me at all, just how it protects my head.
    Pivot 4SL World Cup
    Yeti SB6c
    Ibis Ripley LS
    Cannondale Synapse
    Cannondale SuperX
    Jamis Renegade

mtbr member
    I have a Troy Lee A1 and a Forefront and both fit well on my knoggin. Must be a similar shape.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by frantona View Post
    Hi! Im getting stocked to enter into the mountain bike sport! Ive being searching for helmets, I would like a secure and hopefully good looking helmet. I have come around for this two, both with MIPS (wich Ive read is important nowdays).

Smith Forefront MIPS 150 USD

Scott Stego MIPS 160 USD

Wish one do you recomend? If not, any other option?

Thanks!!
    I've got a Forefront and rally like it. I don't have one with MIPS. I would like one at $150. Where can you get it for $150. Normally the non MIPS version is more than that.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Matte white Forefront MIPS on eBay for $150 delivered in US. As of yesterday all sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by TomW in KC View Post
    I've got a Forefront and rally like it. I don't have one with MIPS. I would like one at $150. Where can you get it for $150. Normally the non MIPS version is more than that.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    Matte white Forefront MIPS on eBay for $150 delivered in US. As of yesterday all sizes.
    Thanks, not the color I would prefer but for $150 can't go wrong.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Same color, better price, fewer sizes: Smith Forefront MIPS All-Mountain Helmet - 2015 CLOSEOUT
    Quote Originally Posted by TomW in KC View Post
    Thanks, not the color I would prefer but for $150 can't go wrong.