slipping shoes or pedals?

Printable View

• 05-04-2004
    NiTCOM
    slipping shoes or pedals?
    I have the SPD pedal PD-m545.
    in combination with a 2003 spd shoe it's slippery like heck, without clicking in.
    What shoes are you guys using with this pedal as it is obviously made to be use with or with spd shoe !?!
  • 05-04-2004
    fred3
    You're supposed to attach the cleats to the shoes and clipin. They're all pretty slick without clipping in and aren't suitable for a ride of any duration without clipping in.
  • 05-04-2004
    wraith
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NiTCOM
    I have the SPD pedal PD-m545.
    in combination with a 2003 spd shoe it's slippery like heck, without clicking in.
    What shoes are you guys using with this pedal as it is obviously made to be use with or with spd shoe !?!

The PD-M545 like most "platform" clipless pedals (Time Z, Crank Bro Mallet) are not designed to ridden for extended period of time without clipping in. The platform is there to provide extra leverage and stability not a pedaling surface.

If you noticed on your pedal the retention mechanism extends slightly above the platform (to allow you to clip in). Now, this prevents the shoes from making solid contact with the platform and that’s why you're “slipping” when you’re not clipped in.
  • 05-05-2004
    NiTCOM
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wraith
    The PD-M545 like most "platform" clipless pedals (Time Z, Crank Bro Mallet) are not designed to ridden for extended period of time without clipping in. The platform is there to provide extra leverage and stability not a pedaling surface.

If you noticed on your pedal the retention mechanism extends slightly above the platform (to allow you to clip in). Now, this prevents the shoes from making solid contact with the platform and that’s why you're “slipping” when you’re not clipped in.

ok, I'll clip in! hehe
    thanks