Skyline, missing lime-stone, and a cracked helmet- Mtbr.com

Skyline, missing lime-stone, and a cracked helmet

Thought it'd be a good day to checkout the Skyline mtb race course. twas cloudy, breezey and niiice!

The fire road climb sucked as always, but once I got over Passini rd, all was good and i started to roll at a good pace.

chapparal tr. came and went and i started climbing manzanita.
    I noticed that a lot of the rocks were chiselled and goneon my last ride, but this time through i really started seeing where there had been rock and how much is missing. WoW!!!

I crested the uphill used-to-be-technical switchbacks and was starting down when outof nowhere.... the ground started moving right toward my face!
    I thought, " this must mean good night!"

I closed my eyes just as my helmet hit... i was surprised to be concious.
    i felt a sharp pain in my hand and a dull pain in my chest. i rolled over on my back to take inventory. the was pain, but nothing was numb... then i felt a liquid running down my face.

Frick!

i looked down to see if it was blood running down my chin. nope, my camelback nozzle got stuck in my helmet strap and water was pouring out.

i sat up and pulled off my helmet to inspect the damage. the front is dinged and scratched and... dammit! a crack!!! second ride with this helmet! second cracked helmet in 6 mos.

double frick!!

i stood up and everything relatively o.k... helmet is broke, knees scraped. arm and wrist scraped and covered in dirt. wrist is already swelling... uh oh!

i went to pick up my bike and a sharp pain shot through my hand. i dropped my bike. grabbed my left hand with the right and gave a little squeeze... Aaaaaaaarrrrrrgggghhh!
    i think i broke my hand.

frick frick frick!!!

i thought about hincapie racing with a broken wrist, hamilton racing stages of the tour with a broken clavicle. hincapie's a pu$$y... i can ride this out... nope!

I made it to the first rocky section and squealed like a baby.

maybe hincapie is tougher than i gave him credit for.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    ugh.....freakin' sucky dude....very sorry to hear...riding with broken bones hurts like a son-of-a-gun

let me (us) know if there's anything we can do to help....again..OWWWWEEEE!
    Click Here for Forum Rules

Slowest Rider

Priorities

Quote Originally Posted by velocipus
    .... i went to pick up my bike and a sharp pain shot through my hand. i dropped my bike. grabbed my left hand with the right and gave a little squeeze... Aaaaaaaarrrrrrgggghhh!
    i think i broke my hand.

frick frick frick!!!

i thought about hincapie racing with a broken wrist, hamilton racing stages of the tour with a broken clavicle. hincapie's a pu$$y... i can ride this out... nope!

I made it to the first rocky section and squealed like a baby.

maybe hincapie is tougher than i gave him credit for.
    Well Hincapie would never have his priorities straight - posting on MTBR with the good hand as quickly as possible. Have you been to the ER, or did you stop to post first?

What exactly happened with the ground? Is this loose rock from the trail work there?
    It's not slow, it's doing more MTB time.

Quote Originally Posted by BigLarry
    Well Hincapie would never have his priorities straight - posting on MTBR with the good hand as quickly as possible. Have you been to the ER, or did you stop to post first?

What exactly happened with the ground? Is this loose rock from the trail work there?
    ER?.. if it's broke, it will still be broke tomorrow. a clinic visit is much cheaper than ER (caps suck one-handed).

I have good pain killers, ice cream and an ace bandage. i'll be o.k.

i'm not sure what all went down. i went straight over the bars. there was nothing for my front tire to hang up on. as far as i can tell i was leaning all the way forward and just clamped the front brake. i dunno!

Silence! I kill you!
    That sucks! Hopefully you'll get healed up soon & get back on the trails
    My photography website:
    Scott Mosher Photography

Bomber
    someone is chanelling a little too much Elliot from Scrubs. Bummer bout the wrist!!! I remeber puting a good ol dent in my helmet, and bleeding all over my new momo shift knob (fresh leather and blood....).
    "To crush your enemies, see them driven before, and to hear the lamentation of the women."

Quote Originally Posted by audi0phile
    someone is chanelling a little too much Elliot from Scrubs. Bummer bout the wrist!!! I remeber puting a good ol dent in my helmet, and bleeding all over my new momo shift knob (fresh leather and blood....).
    i have a feeling i'll be catching up on the reruns for the next couple weeks.
    when's the sea otter dh again?

Nature Rider, Not MTBer
    Crap. I'm sorry to hear that, D. Keep us posted.
    This is no time for levity. - Oliver Hardy

Feeling a little taller
    That sucks! Hope it's nothing some PT can't help with.

Heal up quick!
    There are no stupid questions but there are A LOT of inquisitive idiots.

Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay

Paper or plastic?
    Dennis,

Hope you get better soon. Keep us posted.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    Hincapi is a strong mofo. You are just as strong as he is. Simply hold the beer in the other hand.

Sorry to read about your injury.

jps

wg
    Fermented Grain Sampler
    Man that stinks. Sorry to hear this.
    I hate mystery crashes. I go back to the scene of the crime and puzzle over those sometimes. In my case its usually some brain donor maneuver. "Front Brake NOW!"
    Don't harsh my mello

aka baycat
    Dennis heal up sorry to hear of the incident.

let me know if you need any emergency airlift of IPA!

Quote Originally Posted by baycat
    Dennis heal up sorry to hear of the incident.

let me know if you need any emergency airlift of IPA!
    make it double daddy please...
    i was putting in so many miles too
    my hand has swollen enough to make it appear I am smuggling grapefruit undr my ace bandage.

now it's off to vallejo to visit the good people at kaiser

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    ER?.. if it's broke, it will still be broke tomorrow. a clinic visit is much cheaper than ER (caps suck one-handed).

I have good pain killers, ice cream and an ace bandage. i'll be o.k.

i'm not sure what all went down. i went straight over the bars. there was nothing for my front tire to hang up on. as far as i can tell i was leaning all the way forward and just clamped the front brake. i dunno!
    Isn't it a good idea to set a break as soon as possible before it starts healing in a non-set position? Not necessarily an ER trip ... but perhaps some sort of after hours clinic? Otherwise, don't they have to re-break it and set it back into the proper position?

bicycle rider
    Sorry to hear it! Sucks. Good luck.

Morgan

Too Much Fun

that SUCKS

Sorry to hear about it. Damn.

Heal FAST. I still need to ride the Oat Hill Private Reserve with you!
    - -benja- -

mtbr member
    make it double daddy please...
    If you can get your injured butt down to SF sometime, I'll buy you a beer. I happen to know a place that sells Double Daddy on tap by the liter. Until then, heal up.

-Dave

JFR
    mtbr member
    Dang. I hate those invisible, unmovable objects that grab your wheel or pedal now and then. After the fact I can usally trace back and identify it's now disclosed location with dismay. I had one grab me in D'ville once that broke my right/dominant/mouse thumb and side-lined my riding for awhile... and taught me to mouse lefty... which I still do surfing at home to balance out the carpul tunnel from work... but I digress.

Yup, injuries suck. Especially in spring. Hope your visit at the doc went well today, and you're back on the trails soon.

i am a patient boy

i wait i wait i wait... that's all i could think for two hours sitting in the waiting room.

i broke two metacarpal bones. my reward after sitting in the waiting is a temporary cast aka beer holder, and a sling. Vicodin was the doctor's drug of choice, but i think a ruination will work fine. i'll save the vicodin for something serious.

thanks everyone for your well wishes. despite my light-heartedness about this, i'm really freakin' bummed to be off of my bike and typing with one hand. i think i'll set up the trainer tomorrow. frick!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Paper or plastic?
    i wait i wait i wait... that's all i could think for two hours sitting in the waiting room.

i broke two metacarpal bones. my reward after sitting in the waiting is a temporary cast aka beer holder, and a sling. Vicodin was the doctor's drug of choice, but i think a ruination will work fine. i'll save the vicodin for something serious.

thanks everyone for your well wishes. despite my light-heartedness about this, i'm really freakin' bummed to be off of my bike and typing with one hand. i think i'll set up the trainer tomorrow. frick!
    So, when will the cast come off?
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    sorry to hear about your fall...get better quickly!!

Quote Originally Posted by zorg
    So, when will the cast come off?
    just in time for sea otter if i can find my dremel

Quote Originally Posted by hobbers
    Isn't it a good idea to set a break as soon as possible before it starts healing in a non-set position? Not necessarily an ER trip ... but perhaps some sort of after hours clinic? Otherwise, don't they have to re-break it and set it back into the proper position?
    i donno. they just squeezed my hand until it was really sore and wrapped it up.

dis member

Luckiest dude in the forums

i sat up and pulled off my helmet to inspect the damage. the front is dinged and scratched and... dammit! a crack!!! second ride with this helmet! second cracked helmet in 6 mos..
    Fell on his head twice in 6 months, hard enough to break a helmet, and he was wearing a helmet both times.

Quote Originally Posted by backpedal
    Fell on his head twice in 6 months, hard enough to break a helmet, and he was wearing a helmet both times.
    just testimony. i've gone mtn biking witout a helmet once in 17 years... and i'll never live that time down

helmets have saved my head on a number of occassions. i highly recommend them. they are the difference between lucky and safe.

mtbr member
    I feel your pain. I took a header trying to beat a PR for a training loop. I had about 200 yrds to go and 15 seconds to get there. The only obstacle was a railroad tie staircase with about 7 drops. I was going way to fast and by the 5th tie, my back wheel was nowere near the ground. Head first into some river rocks and somehow managed to puncture my palm on a sharp object in the ground . Damage: cracked helmet, cracked rear rim, bent hanger and derailer and a trip to Kaiser for stiches in hand. It could have been worse so I am lucky and thankful for that. Good luck with your hand.

Coors, the american beer.
    damn man that sucks

so when is the napa contigent riding oat hill this week? Im at my parents house till saturday.
    AZ has the best mountain bike gathering ever

Quote Originally Posted by Melt
    damn man that sucks

so when is the napa contigent riding oat hill this week? Im at my parents house till saturday.
    hit up jibmaster or see if you can get octane to ride witcha.

Members who have read this thread: 0