Skinny Waist Baggy Shorts?- Mtbr.com
    Beer Me!

Skinny Waist Baggy Shorts?

Any one else have a skinny Waist?

I have a 30" waist (I am 5'10", 155lbs) and seems like if you have less than a 32" waist, mnt bike shorts are hard to find. Most of my baggy shorts have a safety pin, or require a belt. I am looking to get a couple new pair, but want to get a proper fit.

Suggestions for skinny riders? top brands? I have not had good luck with Oakley or Fox.

Beer Me!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonstirfry View Post
    Some brands sell shorts with an adjustable waist. Check out REI, they've got a pretty good selection
    IDK, Oakley is "adjustable waist" but when you sinch the side straps, they look goofy. Im looking for a good brand to start looking at, rather than trying on a bunch of shorts that don't fit.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Some brands sell shorts with an adjustable waist. Check out REI, they've got a pretty good selection

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Zoic, Novara... You could also try a set of road bike shorts under a light pair of normal shorts. This works pretty well for me (I have a 28-29in waist, so a good pair of mountain bike shorts was hard to find for me too. I found some decent pairs... The Zoic Ether was noteworthy... But at $74 I decided to hold off)

Beer Me!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonstirfry View Post
    Zoic, Novara... You could also try a set of road bike shorts under a light pair of normal shorts. This works pretty well for me (I have a 28-29in waist, so a good pair of mountain bike shorts was hard to find for me too. I found some decent pairs... The Zoic Ether was noteworthy... But at $74 I decided to hold off)
    Yea, i used to do this but ran into the following cons with road tights under regular shorts:
    1. No vents
    2. rip/stain your regular shorts (durability)
    3. Have to use two pair of shorts every ride (more laundry)
    4. Heavy, soak up water

Mostly i just want a pair of proper fitting shorts with a chamois.

Thanks I will give Zoic a shot. Open to other suggestions. Any one tried the "club ride" shorts? they have a smaller range.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Nema makes all their shorts down to a size 30.
    Try those they start at $60

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I'm in the same boat as you with a 30 inch waist. I've had good luck with Zoic and Fox. I really like the fit and feel of the Fox Ranger shorts. You can only get them in black in the 30 inch size though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Sombrio shorts with their 'Epik' fit work well for the slim jim's of the world.

dirtbag
    30" waist aint skinny. That's normal, everyone else are fat bastids!

I have a 30" waist and have only ever bought baggies from Nema and Hoss. Both brands I fully recommend. I just don't like the look of Oakleys and some Fox shorts. They're just so damned big - like baggy hip hop jeans cut off into shorts. Sorry, they just look clownish to me.
    Amolan

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I'm 6'3" with 32" waist. My latest purchase was Endura Singletrack shorts size M which seems to be a nice fit. However, their size M liner shorts feel a bit tight from the thigh.

I bought mine from CRC.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/B...px?BrandID=344

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Hey skinny bones,
    Get bib shorts!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by El_Duderino View Post
    Nema makes all their shorts down to a size 30.
    Try those they start at $60
    I have the Nema Telonix shorts ( http://shop.nemacycling.com/products/Telonix-Short.html
    ) and while I am pretty much happy with them as far as the actual wearing goes, I do not think they are going to be very durable for one issue. The cloth thickness where the two front closure snaps are is very thin (WAY thinner than the Fox I've seen) and I can imagine these ripping through in a short time. I do not undo these snaps ever, I use the velcro side closures to loosen and tight the waistband to put them on/take them off, which seems to work acceptably.
    Proponent for an Evidence Driven Life.
    Current HTFU status: 4/10; increasing

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by ranier View Post
    30" waist aint skinny. That's normal, everyone else are fat bastids!

I have a 30" waist and have only ever bought baggies from Nema and Hoss. Both brands I fully recommend. I just don't like the look of Oakleys and some Fox shorts. They're just so damned big - like baggy hip hop jeans cut off into shorts. Sorry, they just look clownish to me.
    Same here, I have a pair of fox shorts (all safety pined up at the waist) that are so big at the legs that they sometimes catch on the seatpost QR. Kinda scary.
    Luckily I own a few pairs of much older Oakleys that don't fit the clown category.
    My search continues as well.....

mtbr member
    6'4" with a 32" waist and have been using fox rangers. They have little velcro straps around the waist so you can really cinch them down. Honestly the only thing ive found that works.

mtbr member
    I just bought a set of these http://www.hucknroll.com/alpinestars...ght-short-mens , I have a waist smaller than 32, normally fit perfect in a 30. I picked up the 32 Hyperlight Shorts and got them today. They have adjustable waist and fit fine.

Beer Me!
    Some good suggestions, my fox rangers are the only ones that fit properly. To clarify, i have a sub-32in waist. Hoping to get input from those with a smaller than 32" waist as these are the tricky sizes to find. I appreciate the 32" suggestions, but this size category seems much easier to find than the 30" or less range.

mtbr member
    31w @ 155lbs- Royal F-techs the last few years. can find them on close-out $40. Nice length with knee pads.

mtbr member
    I have a size 27inch waist, found the tld sprint short size 26 to be a good fit. 5ft 3inches here. They have size 28 too. The shorts have adjustable velcro sides. I'm sure these will fit you well.
    Last edited by LoneReaction; 07-17-2011 at 11:39 PM.
    New rider, MTBing is fun!

Cheaa
    I'm 5'9 , 32'' waist, 130lbs. Can't justify spending $60 on a pair of bike shorts. Im going to look for under armor or try out walmart's schwinn padded shorts for like $29 bucks . But for loose baggy stuff, why not just grab a pair of cheap athletic shorts not best for long rides but your a$$ will get use to it sooner or later, right ??

Cumbria, England.
    Hi, like someone else has already said 'Sombrio' fits well, 30" waist and their small is spot on. I bought 3 pairs of 'Highlines' half price on sale. See if you can find last years design, they don't change much from year to year.
    I wear Gore bibs as liners, I've had no problems with these and the wash/wear well. Not cheap for good ones though.
    For anyone skinnier than 30", try Mavic's small. I ordered some from JensonUSA for less than half price, put them on and thought they felt great, went on a ride and they just about cut-off circulation to my lower body!!! An uncomfortable ride home that was! Probably would've fitted me better when I was 12.
    -DF-
    - The seasons blow away, but the love is just the same -

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=dstaks;8248916]I'm 5'9 , 32'' waist, 130lbs. Can't justify spending $60 on a pair of bike shorts. Im going to look for under armor or try out walmart's schwinn padded shorts for like $29 bucks . But for loose baggy stuff, why not just grab a pair of cheap athletic shorts not best for long rides but your a$$ will get use to it sooner or later, right ??[/QUOTE

Athletic shorts aren't designed for cycling so they're too baggy in the crotch area. The excess material will constantly get caught on the saddle. They'd be fine for a bike path ride but for a trail ride where you'll be getting behind your saddle on the steep stuff it can be dangerous. A good pair of cycling baggies are loose in the leg but form fitting in the waist/crotch.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JSumner13 View Post
    They'd be fine for a bike path ride but for a trail ride where you'll be getting behind your saddle on the steep stuff it can be dangerous.
    Totally agree with you. This is the main reason why I gave up my size 30 TLD moto shorts even though I sewed the waist smaller. Too much crotch hooking.
    New rider, MTBing is fun!

Cheaa
    Thanks I didn't know that about loose cycling shorts, now I think I will get some. I can't see me wearing tight bike pants and walking in a store If I make a stop lol

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I'm 5'5" and have a 29" waist line. Size small in Fox & Oakley baggies. Medium in Nema & Zoic. Just got Zoic Ethers for $45 at Treefort bikes (me likes). All of the above has adjustable velcro-waist straps. I like my shorts on the loose side. One thing, I have Fox and Oakleys w/ vertical zipped vents and noticed that, when opened, they "catch" the saddle when I'm moved back and forth. Actually ripped my Oakleys on the trail once and it looked like a skirt =(
    d butt u kicked today, could b d same butt you'll kiss tomorrow.....

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by parkp81 View Post
    I picked up the 32 Hyperlight Shorts and got them today. They have adjustable waist and fit fine.
    How are the Hyperlight shorts going. I am looking at the same shorts. Some feed back would be great.